X

Mod Suggestions...Newby

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod Suggestions...Newby

This is my first street bike (2005 Katana 600) and I am pleased thus far. However, I do want to make some modifications to increase performance. I was told I should invest in a Jet Kit and new exhaust.

Will these two mods give me the desired increase in performance? If so any suggestions on brand name for the jet kit and exhaust and a price range i should be looking at? Also, installing the jet kit, is this something I can do myself or should I bring it to a shop?

Any information on this or any other suggestions for mods is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ ..for the jet kit. Alot of members here have used it and have been more than pleased with the results.

A full exhaust will gain you more HP, as opposed to a slip which will just net you very minimal if any actual HP gain. You can gain some more punch on the low end too by changing your front and rear sprockets; you'll lose alittle top end power but the gain off the line will definately help make up for it.

As far as prices go for exhaust, its completely up to on how much you want to spend. You can pick up a slip on exhaust: Yosh, Hindle, Vance & Hines, etc for around 250.00-350.00 depending on if you want Carbon Fiber or chrome. Those prices vary though and if you shop around you can find some great deals on places like ebay and pipecity.com for example. Full systems are more expensive but worth it if you can afford them.

Comment

First, let's talk about what factors of the performance you want to increase...

Handling?
      Braking?
      Acceleration off the line?
      Power through-out the main power-band?
      Top end speed?
      Touring performance (for long, long rides)?

The answers to those questions change the answer to your original question.

In general, I'm with WildKat on the Ivan's jetkit (I've used Ivans and DynoJet's and Ivan's is superior). The biggest improvement is a good set of new tires (I recommend the Metzeler Z6's) which really change the character of the bike more than any other single mod.

PS - no matter what you do to the bike, it will not beat a modern GSXR with the same engine displacement.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good Question? I guess I should define my goals. I am pleased with the top end performance of the Kat and I do not want to lose that as I do a lot of highway riding back and forth to work. I would like to increase off the line performance without interfering with top end performance. I looked at the Ivan web site posted by WildKat and it seems to be what I am looking for. Unfortunately, the web site shows that they only make it for years through 2004...I have a 2005, but I plan on calling them on monday to verify this. Also, the Ivan Jet Kit is designed for a slip on exhaust...which will save me money on replacing the whole exhaust system. The site also mentioned a 5 degree advancer...not sure what this does but I assume it advances the timing.

The Kat handles great through the twisties and breaking seems adeqaute to me. I have brand new tires (800 miles on them) but will consider the better tire when it's time for new ones. I assume the tires you suggested will improve handling.

I hope this is the definition your looking for...I appreaciate all the advice you guys or gals can provide.

BTW...this forum is a great resource...please keep up the good work.

Comment

Off the subject..that is a Sweet looking Kat..I really like that color...looks kinda like Lou's....congrats on the purchase and Welcome to the site..
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

i also love that color!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kat600
              Good Question? I guess I should define my goals. I am pleased with the top end performance of the Kat and I do not want to lose that as I do a lot of highway riding back and forth to work. I would like to increase off the line performance without interfering with top end performance. I looked at the Ivan web site posted by WildKat and it seems to be what I am looking for. Unfortunately, the web site shows that they only make it for years through 2004...I have a 2005, but I plan on calling them on monday to verify this. Also, the Ivan Jet Kit is designed for a slip on exhaust...which will save me money on replacing the whole exhaust system.
              Yes, Ivan's kit for the 98+ will fit the '05 and '06 model year Kats (since there were no changes at the engine) and will provide the same benefits for those years as for the others. You don't even need to use an aftermarket exhaust can (muffler) to get the benefit.

The site also mentioned a 5 degree advancer...not sure what this does but I assume it advances the timing.
              Yes, the 5 degree advancer advances the timing on the US models from the stock 4 degrees before top dead center (BTDC) an additional 5 degrees, bringing it to 9 degrees total BTDC. This shifts the powerband down the RPM range a bit, producing more power in the 4 to 7k RPM range than it did before (possibly at some penalty in the 9.5k & above range). European-spec Kats for markets other than Austria & Switzerland normally already have 9 to 11 degrees of advance on their engines.

The Kat handles great through the twisties and breaking seems adeqaute to me. I have brand new tires (800 miles on them) but will consider the better tire when it's time for new ones. I assume the tires you suggested will improve handling.
              The tires I recommend will significantly improve handling and the turn-in and recovery, making the bike much more flickable, plus provide a very high degree of grip while leaned over. They will also mildly improve the braking and acceleration performance over the stock tires by providing better grip at the tire-road interface.
              There are upgrades available for the braking and suspension systems as well, but my guess, based on your comments, is that you won't be looking for those until next year

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The ignition advancer that was mentioned..and explained by CP is a great mod with or without a jet kit. Decreased warm up time, easier starts, its well worth it for such an easy and relatively inexpensive mod to do.

Just about any aftermarket quality tire is an improvement of the stock units that come with the bike. If you do any type of twisty riding you'll more than appreciate the difference once you get them installed.

Comment

Ok...I'm definately sold on the Ivan Jet kit and the Advancer (I will purchase one this week). Will I be able to install this myself or should i have a mechanic do it?

I also read some threads on here about sproket sizes. This sounds like a realitivly easy Mod but what are the pros and cons? I saw a thread a while back about someone going down 1 size on the front and going up 2 sizes in the back. Is it necessary to change both or will simply changing one work?..If so, which one...down on the front or up in the back?

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement jason05...LOL...I guess I want the best of both worlds...speed and comfort...off the line and top end performance...and if I had my way...I would like all of that and get 70 mpg...

As for the color...to each his own...but being in Austin, TX ...UT Burnt Orange ain't bad!!

Comment

Disregard jason. He's crabby about something and just seems to be out to make an a$$ of himself.

I haven't done it myself (but I've read enough on the site and I'm bored right now), but installing both the jet kit and advancer should be straight forward. Easy if you've done engine work before, a little harder if you haven't and need the manual.
                      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                      -Terence

Comment

Both are managable with the right basic tools (metric socket/wrench set, allen keys, screwdrivers, small pair of vice grips). You can find how-to's on my website for how to do both under the platform-specific section.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
                          what an ugly color. dont bother jetting it. its a slow bike. if you wanted to go fast, you should have gotten an R bike. katanas are for comfort.
                          WTF is up with you tonight? This is like the third or fourth thread where you've gone off...

Curious...,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the mods suggested are awesome, and if you have realistic expectations, they will be great...... happy throttling
                            Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Absolutely ignore anything Jason has said tonight. It's being taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                              X