No announcement yet.
X

Test rode a Kat and hated it. UPDATED!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test rode a Kat and hated it. UPDATED!

Hi guys,

I have been staring at Katanas for several months now and thinking I want one. It would be my second bike. My current ride is a 1994 Yamaha Seca II XJ600. It's been a great bike to me and I have put on just over 10,000 miles since December. It's my primary transportation and I love it.

I test rode a 2001 Kat 600 this afternoon and it disappointed me but I suspect I know why. Here's where you come in.

The guy that was selling it lowered the stanchions in the fork clamps around 1.5-2 inches, lowering the front-end by simply sliding the fork legs up. Now, I understand a lot about bicycles and how their frame angles and rake affect their handling, but motorcycles and the countersteering throws a new aspect into the mix. The bike was reluctant to turn at all relative to my Yamaha. I really had to wrestle the bars even around slower speed corners. Not nimble at all. My Yamaha is nible as can be and effortless to turn. I was actually frightened of the Kat. It drove great in a straight line, accelerated nicely, shifted much smoother than my Yamaha but handled like, frankly, sh*te.

Is this consistent with your experience with your Katanas or is this front end modification the culprit. I suspect I already know the answer, but wanted to hear it from a few folks.

Thanks to all.

Most definately sounds like the modified front is the culprit. Did you have enough air in the tires as well? What brand of tires were on it too?

A kat may not be as nimble compared to some other bikes, but you hardly have to wrestle with it taking corners. With the proper suspension setup, air pressure and a good set of tires, you should be able to take any corner or set of twisties with confidence and ease.

Comment

Tires were aired up and not worn. Dunlappeds. It just seemed that once it was leaned to turn, it wanted to flop to the inside of the corner and when I countered that inclination, it wanted to go wide. There weren't any good twisters in the area, but I did make a few intersection type turns. It handled like crap.

I am really hoping it's the mod. It's never a good idea to change the front end of any bike from what it was designed as.

Comment

Maybe the rear wheel was mis-aligned . But compared to the little old Seca , it probably feels alot heavier . . I LOVED the way my 750 felt compared to my old Virago . Felt like I was on a mountain bike .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Q: Is the kat you're looking at pre-98 or 98+ model year?

I think there's a combination of factors involved. Suggest you find an non-modified Kat to test ride for your comparison, then you can decide if you want to buy the lowered one and raise it back up...

In general, the SECA II (aka Yamaha Diversion in the rest of the English-speaking world outside North America) is a quite narrow bike with it's engine set fairly low in the frame, giving it a handling feel more similar to a Bandit S or SV650S than a Katana. It also weighs in about 30 lbs lighter than the Kat (dry weight vs dry weight) and is probably closer to 45 lbs lighter wet vs. wet (the Kat holds an extra gallon of fuel & more oil, larger battery).

The real differences for you is more weight, longer wheelbase, slightly higher seating, but also better fairing protection from foul weather & wind, higher GVWR (more load capacity), a bit more power and a higher top speed.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Here's what I know about bicycles in relation to their front end geometry:

Slack headtube angles cause the bike to be generally more stable, ie. straight line. Steep headtube angles cause the bike to be less stable, ie. twitchy. Lowering the forks steepens the headtube angle. 1" in the frontend will equate to 1 degree in headtube angle. 1 degree is a lot when talking about a bike's geometry.

I am wondering how that translates to the gyroscopic effect a motorcycle's wheels have on it's handling in relation to a bicycle. I fully understand the concept of counter-steering. I just cannot imagine that it was intended to require this much counter-steer on a bike that a lot of female riders start out on.

I am searching for a non-lowered Kat to test out. I don't want to mess with a local dea....stealer but will if that's my last option.

It's turning out that the guy wants too much for the bike in its condition anyway. $3500 for a 2001 600 with 13000 miles on it that has lived outdoors and been dropped on both sides is steep.

Comment

If you like your Seca then you would LOVE a Bandit! A Bandit has the more upright ergonomics that you are use to and the 1200 has more motor than you could imaging needing! I would seriously take a look at one.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

What is your location, there might ba a member in your area that could help you out with a non lowered Kat to test out.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
                  What is your location, there might ba a member in your area that could help you out with a non lowered Kat to test out.
                  That is what I was thinking. I may have a 2003 600 going up for sale soon.

Comment

I'm in Charlotte, NC and willing to ride the Seca II a good distance for a short test ride. I am headed to the Survivor's Rally in Cherokee, NC this weekend, too if anyone has a bike for sale they would like to show me.

From my research, the Katana fits what I want to get out of a bike. I am not looking for land-speed records, I want a comfy ride that is sporty enough to enjoy the mountains of NC without breaking my wrists to get there. The price range on these bikes fits with my budget, as well. I just really hope the example I tried is a fluke.

The Bandits look great for sure but are out of my price range and probably more bike than I need.

Thanks to all for the posts and info.

Comment

Well I am about 2 and a half hours south of you.
                      SuperCycle in SPARTANBURG,SC witch would be closer than I am Has a 98 600 listed, maybe you could go down there and test drive it.

You might also want to check out a 750, The handle bars are a little higher if I remember right that would give you a little more upright seating position.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

750 would be preferred to buy but the 600 would be plenty for me. As I said, I am not looking for anything to break landspeed records or to raise my insurance rates. I have a pristene driving record and want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the info on the bike in Spartanburg. Says it has a salvage title so I wouldn't buy it, (especially at $4000 for a salvaged 600!), but it might be an option for a testride.

Comment

Ask him to put the forks back to stock, and take another test ride....

It ain't no thing, and if he wants to sell it....it's a resonable request...

BTW, I had dropped mine 1/4" It was a bit of an improvement....! 1 1/2" to 2" sounds like too much, and may bottom out on hard parts...

Comment

I went from a SECA II to a 99Kat600 and I could never be happier. I hated my SECA II, especially on the highway. It was a nice starter bike but it was underpowered and the transmission was flakey at best.

I recommend hunting around and doing a couple Kat test rides. It sounds like the one you tried was modified in a way that made it handle poorly. You can't best a Kat if you are looking for a do-it-all bike that is cheap to buy and insure.
                            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

my kat turns on a dime with little effort!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X