Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Ridiculous overpriced tire story. Please read.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you said the wrong thing at the outset of the phone conversation -- probably mentioned a flat and needing it now -- and he figured "ah, someone between a rock and a hard place". Add in that you were brand-specific instead of size-specific (more mark-up; he may have included the cost for his guy to run to another shop to buy it). Many dealers are hurting these days (insufficient work, etc) and are trying to make it up by over-charging on "necessities" and required "add-ons" (like the valve cover gasket story above).

I don't know how bad your puncture or need was that you needed an immediate replacement, but auto parts stores do carry tire plug kits and although I won't recommend using them as permanent fixes, they will usually happily hold a tire until the mail-order replacement can arrive (just keep the speed down to the double-digit range and follow all the instructions on the plug kit).

As for repairs that I do let a mechanic do, I pre-order all the parts.
    I don't do forks for the same reason I don't do CV joints -- just a personal thing, based on past experiences and hassle vs price; living in a condo and usually doing the mech work alone, forks are off my list -- so I farm it out. And when I show up, I'll have every replaceable rubber part for the forks, fork oil, and specific instructions on what I want back.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

$300 US tops is what it should cost you for tires for any kat. that is mounted and balanced. if you get a cheap tire changer...and use the powder like I told ya.....you could swap out both tires for $250 MAX.
      but no.....instead everyone bithes about what the dealer charges. (those who actually have a system, excluded)
      Here's a tip. NEVER go to the dealer for anything that you can get somewhere else. whether it is a car or bike.....you don't go back to the dealers for tires. that is unless you have no problem slapping down $4-500...or more... to roll out with fresh rubber. tires are not their business. they can be doing more profitable work in the time it takes to do your tires. they have high overhead...so they have to soak you.

It is costing me $275ish cdn for both tires mounted and balanced. that is pretty damn cheap for a set of metzelers. If you actually do a little leg work, you can cut your cost in half. check tire dealers. you would be surprised how many places you assume only do car tires, do bike tires as well. and they don't charge you no $50 to swap out a tire and balance it. that is their business.....exclusively......so they are cheaper. that is how i found my guy who charges me $30 for both mounted and balanced (I walk in with the wheel). I had been buying car tires there for a couple of years and rode in on my bike to order a set for my truck. he said nice bike. i said thanks....can you change bike tires? he said yes. i have been having it done there for about 4 years now. that is the first time i tried Equal for balancing, and been using it ever since. he just mounted 4 new good-years on my volvo for $380 out the door. He sells bike tires as well....and a good 35-40% below the local dealer. I can get a Z6 mounted and balanced there for $185 or so.....out the door. it is cheaper for me to buy it online and pay him $15 to mount it.

you have to do some legwork and research, or do it yourself.
      shit...if you all lived near me, i could save you money and still make a killing off of most of you.

$450 + taxes = $517
      plus mounting close to $80-100 = $600ish
      That is just insane. I can have 2 sets for that price, and enough left over for 10 lap dances. Or 5 lap dances and 10 beers.

frankly....i just have to be honest. if you have enough money where you don't mind paying dealer prices, then that is fine. no hassle and it's done. I can respect that.
      BUT....if paying those prices at a dealer hurts your wallet.....and you just keep right on doing it and bitching about it....well then that is just lazy. find a cheaper source or do it yourself. it really isn't that difficult.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The guy that my bro in law knows that owns that tire shop says he would change the tires out for $20 bucks if I brought in just the rims and tires, but I would still rather have my own stuff.

Lets say you order your tires from like americanmototire.com (I got my last set there for hella cheap) and payed the man $40 bucks to mount both tires... That is still way cheaper than what the dealer had wanted when I checked on prices there. They wanted like $330 for the tires, and still wanted $60 for mounting. That is just crazy. Like Mojoe said, you just really gota shop around.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

One other thought: I don't know how close the nearest CycleGear store is, but they have reasonable prices and an optional road hazard warrantee (on any brand they sell).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe

if you run Equal (the powder you put inside the tire) instead of using weights.
            You mean this:

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              Wingspan, what tire mount system did you go with?
              I've got the Harbor Freight stand w/motorcycle adapter, a pair of tire spoons (I don't recall the brand), and a balancer I got off ebay for cheap.

In the ~5 years I've been riding, I've changed at least 15 sets of tires. Add up what even a cheap shop would charge and I'm still WAY ahead.
              I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

I use the Harbor Freight changer as well. I also have three spoons to assist AND the NoMar mount/demount bar. Since I have been back from Iraq last Sept, I have installed two full sets on the Bandit plus a take off rear. One full set on the Katana, and 2 rears on the Aprilia. The Aprilia is in need of another set right now which I will be doing in the next week or so. That makes 11 tires in what? 6 months? Add it up and see how far ahead I am in saving on labor.

I have also done three sets for other guys in the last two weeks and probably five other sets for other guys. I charge $10 per tire to change other's tires which saves them cash and makes me a little bit, so I am WAY ahead.

I use a static balancer for that purpose and am looking at getting a regular computerized balancing matching in the near future. No way
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Damn, I guess I am sold then. 3 things on my list now, the H.F. Motorcycle Lift, H.F. Tire Changer, and a Balancer. How much should I expect to pay for a balancer, and any brands or things I should look for that you would suggest?
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Update .... Got the bike back from the dealer.

They found one of the carbs seriously out of synch, between that and new plugs and valve adjustment, it runs a LOT better. That and I found a cool jacket 8)

The bad news ? They waited until I paid my bill and was leaving to tell me they dropped my fuel tank off the workbench .... it's completely
                    ****ed. Yes, seriously. They were closing and I had to go .... further talk between me and them to come ....

oh well, least I'm back RIDING

Comment

Sounds like your getting a new tank!
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by mod4
                        The bad news ? They waited until I paid my bill and was leaving to tell me they dropped my fuel tank off the workbench .... it's completely ****ed. Yes, seriously.
                        That's totally messed up... and I do mean absolutely, totally and beyond the realm of standard disbelief...

How did you pay? If you paid via credit card (or debit card), contact your credit card company (bank) about holding/reversing payment until the problem is resolved to your satisfaction. Also ask the shop manager matter-of-factly whether their insurance will be covering it or if they will? That will usually resolve it on the spot, because it's a lot cheaper for them to pay it out as a new tank than to pay for increased premiums for years to come. Meanwhile, shoot pics of it now (first chance you get -- do not let enough time pass that there may be questions later whether you caused it).

Good Luck!
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So what ever happened with the dropped fuel tank issue?

Curious...
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My tires are bought off ebay. motorace (i think) was selling pilot sport cups for 69.99 SHIPPED... (these are/were factory ducati tires for the monster i believe) and stopped production in 04 of this tire (as all companys do) each year or 2 to release the NEWER tire.
                            they were the 160 size in the rears, he had like 20 of them available
                            99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

-oh and they are wicked sticky, they just wear a little faster than your standard street tire
                              99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                              X