No announcement yet.
X

Balancing tires with B B's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand how it could work either. Especially if the inside of the tire isn't perfectly smooth and symmetrical. BB's might be too heavy individually and actually press into the rubber (centrifugal force) thus not allowing it to move around inside there. Those Dyna Beads are much smaller.
    Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

Originally posted by TT120 View Post
      I don't understand how it could work either. Especially if the inside of the tire isn't perfectly smooth and symmetrical. BB's might be too heavy individually and actually press into the rubber (centrifugal force) thus not allowing it to move around inside there. Those Dyna Beads are much smaller.
      I figured with them being .12 grams each they'd be light enough, but nevertheless it didn't work. I went back to a normal balance and I'll give the dyno beads a try l8r.
      Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        Bead balancing/liquid balancing never made sense to me (the low-point [if you imagine centrifugal force as gravity] may not be the lightest point), especially with any tire that wasn't perfectly smooth on the inside from the factory... Thanks for the update FoxFader.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        ya...you have been saying that since the day I mentioned using equal.

well I have been using Equal for 4 seasons now, going onto my 5th. I will never waste me time with weights again...especially since they do not compensate for tire wear. with equal, I can let go of my bars at 100mph, and she is as stable as can be, regardless of tire wear. It even helps smooth things out with cupped tires.

This is one time for sure that I can truly say that your are wrong with your info. I am going on 5 seasons, and can testify that the stuff works. the ONLY downside is that at speeds under say 7-8 mph, you can feel it in the front tire, but very very little and you have to be looking for it. small small price to pay for the convenience of it.

I mean really...do you think I would actually go this long using the stuff without good reason???

If you guys would jump on the band wagon, you can say "good-bye forever" to taking your wheels in for a dealer to mount/balance new tires. no need to by a balancer either. 2 pry bars is all you need. toss in the powder before adding air, and your golden. but in all likeliness, no one will bother trying it because, well.....you, Marc, have always come up with reasons why it is not a good idea, and this results in everyone thinking you are right...cuz well, that is the common belief around here. So Marc, imho, I think you SHOULD give it a try and stop being so skeptical. then once you see it works, guys on here can actually start saving some money see just how well it works.

those dyna beads look interesting, though. I will probably give them a try.

in the meantime, I will just continue lmao at you poor souls who ignore my "suggestion", and keep paying $50 or more to have a frickin tire mounted.
        I have mentioned this at least a dozen times, so I think it warrants my being able to laugh at y'all now
        Last edited by Mojoe; 03-27-2008, 10:22 PM.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post

those dyna beads look interesting, though. I will probably give them a try.
          Dynabeads rock.

And, if you want a reason why're they're better than equal, all you have to do is pull them out of one tire, and put 'em in the next tire.

I'm on my second Z6 in the rear with them in it. If anybody wants pictures of what the tire looks like after 10K+, lemme know.

I'll never go back to lead weights.

And no vibration up to 100 MPH, either.

2 oz in the front, and 2 oz in the rear.

Comment

This is one time for sure that I can truly say that your are wrong with your info.
            I didn't say it wouldn't work -- I said it doesn't make sense to me (when I picture it in my head rotating around at 60 or 90 mph)

I have a packet of dyna beads around here that they sent me to test, but I've never gotten around to using it...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Where do you get Equal, Mojoe? And how much do you put in each tire? I know that it will most likely be different if the 1100 has different sized tires.

Edit: Nevermind. I actually searched and found the answer.
              Last edited by brooder; 03-28-2008, 06:54 AM.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                I didn't say it wouldn't work -- I said it doesn't make sense to me (when I picture it in my head rotating around at 60 or 90 mph)

I have a packet of dyna beads around here that they sent me to test, but I've never gotten around to using it...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                actually, you are right...you didn't say that. it has been bothering me since I said it. to be honest Marc, it was the "doesn't make sense to me" part that triggered my response. it is common knowledge around here that your opinion is very influential on this site, and if you make a comment like that, it could very well turn many off from giving it a try. that is why I think you should at least try those beads so that you can have a qualified opinion on how they work. all I am saying is that so far I prefer equal over weights, and suggest it from experience......and it kinda strikes me in a negative way when it is de-bunked from an opinion stated with no experience. make sense?

as for my comment on lmao at those who pay $50+ to have a tire mounted.....I apologize for that. I am well aware that for many, it is just not feasible to do it yourself....as in no garage/work shop, tools....or even time. I don't even do my own, but this is because I can have it done for $20 a wheel, or $30 for two wheels.....so in my mind it is like, "why bother at that price".

So to answer your question, Brooder.....or at least part of it, I get mine from the tire shop who does mine. $30 gets both tires mounted with the Equal included in the price. But when I do set up a tire changer in my shop, I will get it through that dealer. I can get it for anyone who wants it.

Fox....kudos to you for making the effort to try the BB's. I have also heard they work, but never tried it. It is good to hear results from experience.

If anyone cares to hear my opinion, I think I might know why the BB's didn't work. I think their individual mass is too great. Think of your tire like a washing machine. If you do a load of socks, underwear, t-shirts, light sheets...etc, etc, you will notice that the spin cycle is pretty smooth and the clothes will spread out in a fashion where it keeps fairly balanced. You will even find a sock stuck up on the top part of the tub because it was "forced" there to balance things out. However, if you throw a couple of pairs of jeans, or a heavy towel or blanket into the mix, the spin cycle will turn into a mini-earthquake and the washer will thump and bang and be all out of whack. that is because it is just too heavy because of the concentrated mass, and not "flow" in a way to balance out. I think that might be the problem with the BB's....the mass of them are just too concentrated in each individual BB, and they do not "flow" equally or smooth enough. where as the powder like Equal is very light and it will "flow"....as probably do the beads because they are lighter. just a theory....not sure it makes sense to you all.
                Last edited by Mojoe; 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Wait.. Are we talking about this?:

OK I see now we are not.

What happens over 100 mph Mojoe?

I don't pay $50 to have tires done but think weights are a little silly.
                  Gytrdunkat and I were commenting on how a $40K MV Agusta has gobs of stick on weights on its high end magnesium wheels..
                  Last edited by Black_peter; 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post

What happens over 100 mph Mojoe?
                    my a-hole starts to pucker up and I need to hang on more.....other than that, smooth as silk. the fastest I ever went on a bike was with equal in my tires.
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Ok Mojoe, you talked me into it. I just placed an order for the Dynabeads from http://www.innovativebalancing.com/.

I do my own mounting and balancing so this will save me some time balancing. Ive also got new Michelin PPs so we'll see how the tire wear goes.

We'll see how they feel once I get riding on the bike.

Comment

Good thing I mount and balance my own too. I'm going to try them soon, but I had to do something after the BB's didn't work. If you report back that the DB's work I'll get them too.

Fox....kudos to you for making the effort to try the BB's. I have also heard they work, but never tried it. It is good to hear results from experience.
                        Thanks, it was worth a try since I was putting on new rubber, but it didn't work. After I went back and balanced with lead I could sure tell the BB's didn't work.
                        Last edited by Fox Fader; 03-28-2008, 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                        '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                        '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                        '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                        I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
                          Ok Mojoe, you talked me into it. I just placed an order for the Dynabeads from http://www.innovativebalancing.com/.

I do my own mounting and balancing so this will save me some time balancing. Ive also got new Michelin PPs so we'll see how the tire wear goes.

We'll see how they feel once I get riding on the bike.
                          super! once you have given it a try, give us some feedback.

like I said, Equal is all I have used, and I do prefer it over weights, but it does have one "flaw" that caught me off guard when I wasn't expecting it. I learned the hard way that if you are going to check tire pressure when using this stuff, to locate the valve stem at 6 o'clock, and give the tire a couple of kicks, or tap the valve stem a couple of times. failure to do so could mean that any equal that happened to make it into the valve stem will jam in the valve when you check the pressure. This resulted in my tire going flat right in front of me, with no way to stop it. It happened my first year using the stuff. since them I take a second to locate the valve in the ideal position and give it a couple of taps, and have never had it happen again.

those beads.....I can see them eliminating that possibility as they are larger, and not like a power.

another media I have been tempted to try is sandblast media. super cheap, and available anywhere.

Comment

My only concern would be what Cyber stated...not that he's right...... but there could be a possibility of the BB's wearing out the tire from the inside...
                            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                              My only concern would be what Cyber stated...not that he's right...... but there could be a possibility of the BB's wearing out the tire from the inside...
                              dude...that would not happen in a million years. I mean chit, it takes one heck of a sharp knife to even cut into the inside of a tire, and some muscle to boot.

that theory is not just reaching, imho, it on the other side of the galaxy.

but hey...that's just my opinion. I have gone at the inside of tires with a sandblaster before just for the fun of it to see how it would work as a shield for precise blasting in specific spots on metal....and it never even effected the tire.

Comment

I've still got bb's in my tires and they feel fine until I hit a 100mph- I get a slight vibration. It could be they are too heavy and the weight isn't dispersing where it should be....if I could only get them half the size they are. But on this note.....how many roads do you know are posted for a 100mph limit....exactly- I just don't get up there unless I NEED to---as if I'm feeling like wanting to go that fast (but then again my bike has almost 41K miles on it).

My co worker has dyna beads and doesn't have any issues. Just my update---as I haven't been on this site for about a month (shame on me).
                                Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Working...
                                X