X

Chain lube wheel shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
    No one is saying he's not cleaning his wheel properly, they are saying he's not lubing his chain properly and instead installing a spinning diskof death to protect his wheel from stray lube.
    /\ This.

Though I have never had to do much to clean my wheel. I either dabbed some kerosene on a rag or used simple green and everythign came right off.

The spray on spray off wheel cleaners will get off the brake grime but not always the oil as they are mainly meant for cars which do not have lube oil drying on them...
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      Yeh ...

1) You don't need to unbalance your wheel by strapping potential projectiles to it.

2) What you are in fact doing is directing any excess lube straight to the tyre; I'd prefer most of it to be on the wheel, but that's just me.

3) If it takes you an hour to wipe off excess lube, you're doing it wrong ... it's a 2 minute job.
      Originally posted by rockat View Post
      Maybe, the problem is how you are cleaning your wheel? And, maybe you are spraying way too much.
      Originally posted by numus View Post
      ... I use an aerosolized chain wax... I have never had exceess lube fly all over the place...

If the bottle says KY, you are doing it wrong.
      I see you're not telling him he's cleaning it wrong, but others are. That's what I'm referring to. Obviously the last one was in a jokingly manor. All I'm really asking though if people have some kind of special techniques, cause my wheels do take forever to get clean.
      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
        I see you're not telling him he's cleaning it wrong, but others are. That's what I'm referring to. Obviously the last one was in a jokingly manor. All I'm really asking though if people have some kind of special techniques, cause my wheels do take forever to get clean.
        Oh, sweety, no. This thread isn't about cleaning the wheels, cleaning a wheels is only a symptom.

To answer your question, we usually use something like simple green or purple power to clean the wheels. Occasionally we'll use a nephew...

The point of this thread is to lube your chain properly so you don't have to come up with a dangerous and ill conceived solution to what should not be a problem.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
          I already hit at what to clean with but 2 other things are to use better lube/wax so you stop getting fling and to get better brake pads to limit your dust. It is a rear pad so shouldnt be used too much honestly though I find most on here overuse their rear.

Simple green your wheels and wipe down with cloth. Takes like a minute per wheel to get everything off.

Comment

Day or two after lubing I use a dry towel and wipe off what I can, then a wet one to wash it off, then a dry one to dry. Takes roughly 10-15 mins, depends on how dirty and how long they've been dirty. The drive side of the wheel gets the worst of it. It's not rocket science! I use NO degreaser! Not really needed!

TO DANGEROUS TO PUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT ON THE WHEEL! Get good lube and don't over do it!
            Last edited by uncltommy77; 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by uncltommy77 View Post
              Day or two after lubing I use a dry towel and wipe off what I can, then a wet one to wash it off, then a dry one to dry. Takes roughly 10-15 mins, depends on how dirty and how long they've been dirty. The drive side of the wheel gets the worst of it. It's not rocket science! I use NO degreaser! Not really needed!
              No it is not needed if you want to spend 10-15 minutes rubbing with water to get the wheel clean. you do not need soap to get clean either. You just need water and keep scrubbing till that layer of skin is off and then you are clean again.

A cleaning agent just speeds up the process and turns a 15 minutes job into a 1-2 minute job.

Comment

Here are a few tips to help you out when cleaning your wheels....

The initial cleaning you do will take your usual amount of time. Dawn dish soap, HOT water, nylon scrub brush. Rinse and repeat until it's as pretty as you want it. Wax the wheel. Yes you read that right, wax the damn thing, it's painted/powdercoated after all so treat it just like your bodywork. I often use Original Bike Spirits(Honda Polish) on my wheels and it also makes them much easier to keep clean.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I'm not going to bash the guy, Andy is already on it. But from a design standpoint if you really wanted to make this happen, why choose sheet metal? Why not plastic or cloth? all you wanted to do was stop oil, why would you need metal? Wouldn't the oil slip of the metal at a high rate of speed and fling off the metal to probably your tire and to other riders behind you.
                  -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just use WD-40 on a rag to clean the rim and frame area (when I feel energetic enough to do it).
                    I am thinking that some may be over lubing the chain, it will only take so much lube and then the excess is cast off. I tend to not use so much myself.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                      Here are a few tips to help you out when cleaning your wheels....

The initial cleaning you do will take your usual amount of time. Dawn dish soap, HOT water, nylon scrub brush. Rinse and repeat until it's as pretty as you want it. Wax the wheel. Yes you read that right, wax the damn thing, it's painted/powdercoated after all so treat it just like your bodywork. I often use Original Bike Spirits(Honda Polish) on my wheels and it also makes them much easier to keep clean.
                      I like this
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                        I already hit at what to clean with but 2 other things are to use better lube/wax so you stop getting fling and to get better brake pads to limit your dust. It is a rear pad so shouldnt be used too much honestly though I find most on here overuse their rear.

Simple green your wheels and wipe down with cloth. Takes like a minute per wheel to get everything off.
                        I like my rear more than my front.. Endos are not fun

Comment

I vote for diamond plating the rim shut
                          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                            I vote for diamond plating the rim shut
                            I second that^^^^^^^^.
                            2002 750 Kat
                            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

are you serious?

If you endo a kat you did something terribly wrong. You can regulate the pressure you give it with your fingers, you know...

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Just curious........ how long have you been riding....
                                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                                ------------------------------------------
                                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                                X