X

What causes uneven wear like this? Contimotions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes uneven wear like this? Contimotions

Bought this tire in the spring. Barely has 3000 miles on it! It doesn't look normal to me so I'm looking for some help here. The tire is a 160/60/17 continental conti motion. The shop that mounted these tires claim that 3-5k is all these tires will get but I've read that ppl have seen double that and the wear pattern looks to me like something isn't right?
    Attached Files

The middle has also wore flat.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like even wear to me. Not sure of the compound on those tires, but with something sporty like the pirelli diablo tires I would normally only get 3 to 5K out of the rears too due to the soft compound.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

"Burnouts" ???
        Last edited by superbike; 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
          "Burnouts" ???
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

the road
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
              "Burnouts" ???
              The marks on the tire sure look like that to me...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yep - doesn't look too uneven to me. Just a tyre that has been belted hard and provided its lifetime worth of enjoyment.

Comment

I had a lot of dirt bikes as a kid and this is my first street bike so I'm still learning I guess. I bought a new tire last weekend and it is a full bore m-1 street sport. Was told I wouldn't get anymore miles out of this one but that's ok,lol! Oh and I didn't do any burn outs on the last one but thanks for all the replies!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just curious, do you ride this bike like your dirt bikes? Hard xcel and hard decel will wear out the tires quick also.
                    Ride, Restore,Repeat
                    1992 Kat 750 barn find

Comment

Wear looks pretty even to me, but my experience with the contimotions, is they wore really quickly.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I use contimotions on my katana and I commute heavily (100 miles a day) I get 9-10k miles out of a set of tires. I've been through 3 sets now and I've consistently got 9-10k miles. I love those tires because they are a single compound tire. I've found I wear out the dual compound tires too fast.

Comment

contimotion

That doesn't make sense. The whole idea of dual compound is that it will give you higher mileage because of the harder rubber in the center. I just installed a contimotion on my 750 kat, but only because it was the cheapest tire I could find. I wish I could afford the really good stuff
                          I used an ancient (nearly 20 year old) metzeler metronic until it started to leak through a crack in the tread. It held together for the last 2 years even with extensive cracking all around both sidewalls too

Comment

Originally posted by mektek View Post
                            That doesn't make sense. The whole idea of dual compound is that it will give you higher mileage because of the harder rubber in the center. I just installed a contimotion on my 750 kat, but only because it was the cheapest tire I could find. I wish I could afford the really good stuff
                            I used an ancient (nearly 20 year old) metzeler metronic until it started to leak through a crack in the tread. It held together for the last 2 years even with extensive cracking all around both sidewalls too
                            not a good idea to run old tires. just saying..
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
                              I use contimotions on my katana.... I love those tires because they are a single compound tire. I've found I wear out the dual compound tires too fast.
                              Originally posted by mektek View Post
                              That doesn't make sense. The whole idea of dual compound is that it will give you higher mileage because of the harder rubber in the center.
                              Tire compounds will vary from tire to tire, and brand to brand. Generally... the "harder center" on duel compound tires vary depending on the type of tire. A touring tire generally will have a harder center than the dual compound sport tire.

So... comparatively speaking... On a sport tire the harder center adds commuter mileage for the sport tire, but that center may still be much softer than another brand single or dual compound and give less over all miles.

For example... Just one manufacture uses a differnent hardness compound on most of their tires... the centers are not all the same depending on front/back or model type.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X