X

noob needs tire education please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob needs tire education please

Grandson has a 97 GSX 600 F that we bought for transportation until he can get a car. The tires need to be replaced--quick. I told him I'd help him locate some so I've been researching. And man, I'm confused as can be.

Tires on the bike now are: front-110/80-17, rear-140/80-17 The guy we bought from didn't take good care of the bike so I'm not even sure those are the right size for that model. In fact, I've seen conflicting information and the local dealers I checked have given me conflicting info.

One place said 120/70 front, 150/70 rear. Another said 110/70 & 140/70. Another says, what is on there now is correct but they don't have any. Yet another said, "What size do you want to put on it?" WTF?

So I go online and that seems to be even worse. I can find a 140/80-17 but it is listed as a front tire, not rear. Can I use that on the rear? I also can't seem to find a front & rear by the same mfg in the 80 aspect-ratio (I did learn that!) but can find them all day long in the 70 aspect-ratio. And is it ok to use a cruiser or a dual-sport?

Can somebody help this old geezer out?

OH, and I'd like to keep it around $100-125/tire if possible. NO track usage, just driving around town and back/forth to work.

Thanks

Bill W
    Last edited by wildbill001; 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM. Reason: one more question

Originally posted by wildbill001 View Post
    Grandson has a 97 GSX 600 F that we bought for transportation until he can get a car. The tires need to be replaced--quick. I told him I'd help him locate some so I've been researching. And man, I'm confused as can be.

Tires on the bike now are: front-110/80-17, rear-140/80-17 The guy we bought from didn't take good care of the bike so I'm not even sure those are the right size for that model. In fact, I've seen conflicting information and the local dealers I checked have given me conflicting info.

One place said 120/70 front, 150/70 rear. Another said 110/70 & 140/70. Another says, what is on there now is correct but they don't have any. Yet another said, "What size do you want to put on it?" WTF?

So I go online and that seems to be even worse. I can find a 140/80-17 but it is listed as a front tire, not rear. Can I use that on the rear? I also can't seem to find a front & rear by the same mfg in the 80 aspect-ratio (I did learn that!) but can find them all day long in the 70 aspect-ratio. And is it ok to use a cruiser or a dual-sport?

Can somebody help this old geezer out?

OH, and I'd like to keep it around $100-125/tire if possible. NO track usage, just driving around town and back/forth to work.

Thanks

Bill W
    The simple answer then...

Purchase Michelin Pilot Road 3 120/70 front, 150/70 rear.

The more complicated answer... the Pre 600s originally came with the sizes you have now, but those are outdated. The sizes I mentioned work perfectly.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1, great tire choice also.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        The simple answer then...

Purchase Michelin Pilot Road 3 120/70 front, 150/70 rear.

The more complicated answer... the Pre 600s originally came with the sizes you have now, but those are outdated. The sizes I mentioned work perfectly.

Krey
        As someone who will be purchasing new tires soon, can you explain to me the riding difference of using the 120 and 150 over 110 and 140? I understand what all the measurements mean.

Also after reading on here, the PR 2's seem a unanimous choice. Since I'm a new rider I doubt I will be pushing the bike and won't need the extra grip of the PR 3'2. I also live in southern California and don't see much rain, nor will I purposely ride in it.
        First motorcycle - new project
        1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by MEngineer View Post
          As someone who will be purchasing new tires soon, can you explain to me the riding difference of using the 120 and 150 over 110 and 140? I understand what all the measurements mean.

Also after reading on here, the PR 2's seem a unanimous choice. Since I'm a new rider I doubt I will be pushing the bike and won't need the extra grip of the PR 3'2. I also live in southern California and don't see much rain, nor will I purposely ride in it.
          The PR2s are great tires, and I would highly recommend them as well in mostly dry climates with out any hesitation.

There would be minimal riding difference between the tires. Since you know what the numbers mean, I won't go into the measurement details, but simply say... they are basically the same sized tires overall but with a better looking profile. We could talk extreamly minor differences that 99% of the riders out there couldn't really tell for same tire brand vs the different sizes...

But all that is moot... the big reason to swap from the old sizes to the new sizes.... Very few radials are available in the old, all most all of them are available in the new sizes. Bias Ply tires are far inferior to the radials now days.

So it's all about what is available... for the tires you want to use.

The Pilot Roads are definitely tires most riders would want to use on a Kat.... unless your putting it on the track.

(edit to clarify... the Pilot Road tires 2 or 3 are both great tires and we are currently using both on our bikes... my 750 has pr3 because it's the newest set of tires changed and I wanted to try them... Badfaerie's 750 has pr2s still, and my 600 has conti road attacks. All have good tread and proper profiles, so I can bike hop to get instant feedback on the differences for brands. I would use the Pilot roads 2 or 3 any time with out hesitation. The PR3s though do perform better than the others in wet, but that is because of the water sips on them. I would have no problem using the Pr2s in the wet as well... we get a little bit of rain here, so I've been there and it's not an issue either. The road attacks are good tires, but the PRs last a little longer, and ride a little smoother/less road vibration.)

Krey
          Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-11-2013, 07:25 PM.
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had PR3s before and didn't like them. I now have PR2s and like them much better. at 4000 miles showing good wear. I have used Continental Motions with good result. liked them better than the PR3s. they can be had for less than $180 from MotoSport.com.
            Last edited by KAT TOY; 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I hope the OP listened.....
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome to KR Bill, Kreylyn nailed the tire question already.

If your concerned about the previous owners care of the bike I highly recommend you download or buy a service manual for the bike.

Clean, lube and inspect the chain/sprocket, check the brake lines, change the brake fluid. Fork oil's probably in need of a change too, but tires,brakes and chain should be at the top of the list.
                Kyle

Comment

Welcome Bill. I'm running the PR2s and love them. Dennis Kirk has done really well by me both on price and shipping.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The PR2 is a slightly harder compound than the PR3. They have a different tread pattern.

I've heard that the PR3 has fantastic characteristics in the rain.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      The PR2 is a slightly harder compound than the PR3. They have a different tread pattern.

I've heard that the PR3 has fantastic characteristics in the rain.
                      I've never ridden a tire that inspired more confidence on wet pavement than those... not even close. And the dry grip is really good too.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

That said, I never had any issue when I was running the PR2, but I was getting the same wear from a PR2 that I was getting from a 2ct so.....
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well, I think that pretty much settles it then. Thanks to all.

And yes, am in the process of replacing chain and sprockets. As well as repairing/replacing the front-engine sprocket cover which did not survive the chain jumping off the sprocket. OH, here's a hint for anyone getting ready to do that--Loosen the nut on the front sprocket BEFORE you break the chain and take it off.

The bike is/was in sad shape. No front cowling, no side panels. Dented tank, broken peg or two. But it only cost me about $300 to purchase. And the kid needed transportation for work. So, seemed like a win for both of us at the time.

Thanks again for the help and education. I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions and/or searching for answers.

Bill W

Comment

buy the tire for your riding style and conditions.

I get the same life out of the pilot power 2ct that I do the PR2.
                            yet the PP2ct are a far better handling tire in town and twisties, for short rides where the tires barely get up to optimal temps etc etc

IMO its pointless to run a harder touring tire if your not doing huge super slap touring.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              IMO its pointless to run a harder touring tire if your not doing huge super slap touring.
                              Like the mostly straight roads one would see in Texas?

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X