No announcement yet.
X

chain cleaning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is only one right way to clean a chain , its with kerosene like the chain instuctions say . melts away grim like butter .

Comment

Seriously......... check out Fluid Film...... best stuff I've ever run across.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        Seriously......... check out Fluid Film...... best stuff I've ever run across.
        Twice as expensive as kerosene too.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Twice as expensive as kerosene too.
          You get what you pay for. Nobody said riding a bike was cheap.
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
            Nobody said riding a bike was cheap.
            have you looked at my bike? Im not one of the thousands of "save a penny guys on here"

I just think its pretty difficult to reinvent the wheel when it already works so well. I also cant find that stuff anywhere around here to even try it.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              have you looked at my bike? Im not one of the thousands of "save a penny guys on here"

I just think its pretty difficult to reinvent the wheel when it already works so well. I also cant find that stuff anywhere around here to even try it.
              Yup....I have.......and I love it! I'm not shittin' you about Fluid Film. Best stuff I've ever come across. I can buy it here at NAPA and Canadian Tire....never checked out Walmart..... I installed a new chain before I took off on a 3600 mile trek this past summer, and all I used was Fluid Film. Most of the journey involved riding in rain. The product is absolutely incredible. It's avaiable on-line if you have to go that route. You won't regret it.
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

For the price and how %@#$&* fast. clean and easy it is to use, fluid film is the best thing I have used for cleaning. Spray it on, ride the bike for a few rides then wipe it off. So scrubbing/ no smelly chemicals and brushes etc.
                its also an amazing detailing spray for all the chasis and plastic parts.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

correct me if i am wrong but i would imagine it's very similar to Rust Check as well? I've used that on my chain to clean it and it works very well.
                  -Brandon

Comment

rust check is petrol based I believe.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Listen...I am not one of those bandwagon guys...it's very hard for me believe the praise of others on products, etc.

But with that said, I actually have to give Fluid Film it's props. Last night I took a look at the bike and particularly the chain. I have not ridden since October to a ride up to Syracuse; in which I was caught in immense rain (where you couldn't see two cars ahead). I believed I had sprayed on fluid prior (but maybe after) either way, yesterday, when I checked the chain it looked really good.

I compare this to 2011, when I rode to Syracuse and it rained (definitely not as bad as this trip) and my brand new chained had a litte pitting after the trip (forgot to spray it really good afterwards but def sprayed during the ride up and such). That was using teflon lube and and a combo of kero to clean.

I have to say it works
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

I bought a can but have not used it yet, you guys never steer me wrong.
                        I might get the bike out tomorrow, stupid weather:bunny2
                        Blackdog
                        DRz-400e plated
                        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

I do mine at the shop I work at so I can make a mess. But if you have somewhere you can dirty up severely, I just use new motor oil, a chain brush, and a red rag to wipe the excess after enough of just soaking it, dirt comes off pretty easily. And only do it with the bike running if you ARE willing to lose fingers. Some poeple don't mind losing them, I could use the 50,000 from insurance, lol jk. Be safe.

Note: I clean my chain every 100 miles so motor oil does just fine for me.
                          Last edited by QuimbyKat; 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM.
                          "Push it hard and to the edge... Push your limits and push your luck... Then take it to the next level and push it harder..."
                          -Taylor Paul Quimby

Comment

Originally posted by QuimbyKat View Post
                            I do mine at the shop I work at so I can make a mess. But if you have somewhere you can dirty up severely, I just use new motor oil, a chain brush, and a red rag to wipe the excess after enough of just soaking it, dirt comes off pretty easily. And only do it with the bike running if you ARE willing to lose fingers. Some poeple don't mind losing them, I could use the 50,000 from insurance, lol jk. Be safe.

Note: I clean my chain every 100 miles so motor oil does just fine for me.
                            every 100 miles. thats an afternoon ride or the long way to the parts supplier. With over 100k i cant be bothered cleaning and lubing the chain every 160km.

with oil you rim must look like crap or you spend a lot of time cleaning the thing to get the oil off.

you can save a lot of time and cleaning with a much better product
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Truth be told.... it was HD that turned me onto this stuff. I was even more impressed when a rep for the company posted in here. Other than the fact it's a great cleaner/lubricant.....my undertail is cleaner longer.....much longer.
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                                every 100 miles. thats an afternoon ride or the long way to the parts supplier. With over 100k i cant be bothered cleaning and lubing the chain every 160km.

with oil you rim must look like crap or you spend a lot of time cleaning the thing to get the oil off.

you can save a lot of time and cleaning with a much better product
                                I ride to work everyday and I'm only 8 miles away, she barely gets warm when I get there lol and I don't mind, it's like cleaning your house everyday, not much to it if it never gets that dirty... and I get oil and degreaser for free so... it ain't nothing but a thing...

Besides, my chain sure does look purdy

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
                                "Push it hard and to the edge... Push your limits and push your luck... Then take it to the next level and push it harder..."
                                -Taylor Paul Quimby

Comment

Working...
                                X