X

Arg I Hate changing tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
    Dyna-beads work for balance, as does RV antifreeze. It's a dynamic balance instead of a static balance. I use RV antifreeze (like 3-4 oz per tire) for my Honda, and I have no complaints after 3000+ miles.

Speeds up to 75 or so with no noticeable tire vibration (it is a 500 single, so I've got vibration, but none that appear to be due to an out-of-balance tire).

Using a syringe you can get it into the tire through the valve stem by removing the valve core. Then replace the core, inflate as usual and off you go!

My Kat's not running yet, so no reports from me on this technique used on one, but it will be what I do when it is running.
    Er, won't putting a liquid in the tire cause the pressure of the tire to change as it heats and cools? What will the reaction of the tire skin to the antifreeze be? No thanks...

As for the dyna beads. Whatever. I can static balance a wheel in about 10 minutes, and wheel weights are CHEAP.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks everyone for your info.
      There are only two shops in my town that will touch a motorcycle tire and one is $100 and the other I would not trust to put my grips on. I talked to the guys that do my cars and they all ride but will not touch a customers motorcycle tire. they say its to risky for them because they do not have insurance for bike tires.
      Im going to try the Dyna beads I found a kit for $12 and it is enough to do both tire. I figure I would give it a shot. worst case I can call my friend and get some wheel weights. Plus at this point the wheel is on the bike and Its a pain for me to get it off. I don't have stands yet so i need 2 people to take the front off. I'll do a write up on the dyna beads and let you guys know how they are.
      2005 Gsx600f- My baby
      1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
      Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WHkSPZJ3fI&feature=related"]SCUDMAN Balancing - YouTube[/ame]

This guy also did a how to remove and and install video. Check it out. When I did my first set these 3 videos answered any question I ran into.
        sigpic
        1994 GSX600

Comment

I used Dyna Beads for balancing on my last set of tires. They seemed to work fine under 85 mph, and they did not even sort of work over 100mph. Extremely dangerous to use in my opinion. I removed them within a couple weeks
          My YouTube Videos
          My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
            I used Dyna Beads for balancing on my last set of tires. They seemed to work fine under 85 mph, and they did not even sort of work over 100mph. Extremely dangerous to use in my opinion. I removed them within a couple weeks
            Good to know. The whole theory of them doesn't seem to lend itself to a very precise balance, but I had never heard from anybody that actually used them and had an issue.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

From someone who sees well north of 130mph every time I ride, just get them balanced.

OTOH , the set of pirellis I have on the bike right now took absolutely no weight to balance perfectly.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
                If you have a cyclegear near you they charge $30 a tire which is the cheapest I have found anywhere I have lived. Some people have horror stories about getting their tires mounted there, but here in az I have had really good luck.
                That's what I paid at cyclegear to have them flip the tire that the po put on backwards.

Originally posted by dta View Post
                SCUDMAN Balancing - YouTube

This guy also did a how to remove and and install video. Check it out. When I did my first set these 3 videos answered any question I ran into.
                That guy is on a local bike forum and he's usually pretty helpful with info.

Comment

i put my front tire on my kat and i put both tires on my ninja not to big of a deal i picked up a tire balancer from harbor freight it worked no shakes

Comment

Well I road the bike today and all seamed fine. No vibes. I have the dyna beads coming. I plan on getting a new set before Feb. Want to get the pilot 3s. This tire was cheap and basically only for the winter. As of right now im far beyond broke so getting a balancer or anything els is going to be a long shot. I start a job in a couple of weeks so hopefully I can start getting more tools, Balancer, changer, and stands.
                    Last edited by hinow41; 10-29-2011, 01:00 AM.
                    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Er, won't putting a liquid in the tire cause the pressure of the tire to change as it heats and cools? What will the reaction of the tire skin to the antifreeze be? No thanks...

As for the dyna beads. Whatever. I can static balance a wheel in about 10 minutes, and wheel weights are CHEAP.
                      Hmm, might be something for me to think about when I actually get a new set of rubber for the Kat. I'm not using the normal ethylene glycol-based antifreeze like in an automotive cooling system either, it's the kind used normally for winterizing the plumbing in an RV, and is if not non-toxic, at least less so (GRAS = Generally Regarded As Save by the FDA).

I don't ride hard enough on my running bike to notice any difference in tire pressure unless it drops a lot (e.g. puncture and go flat), so that might be another reason why I've been satisfied with it too, though a liquid shouldn't significantly change the pressure in your tire unless it's actually boiling. Water boiling at 212 F or 100 C -- kinda unlikely. Propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) boils at ~200 C/390 F. Not happening on the road, so it shouldn't affect tire pressure any more than normal.

As always, YMMV, but if nothing else it should get you by at legal speeds until you can afford to do a more traditional balance at a shop (or get your own balancing equipment).
                      Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                      H. L. Mencken

Comment

Also thinking about it, the constant exposure to liquid/water might also accelerate/promote rust forming on the wheel components.

I'm also thinking, that the mount/dismount process then becomes extra messy, and you get the anti-freeze everywhere.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                          order dyna beads. No balancing needed, it does it itself automatically.
                          They work, used them a few times myself. Never had a problem. I use stick on weights on the Connie mainly because of the TPMS sensors and the price of replacement.

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
                          You think the trick with two jack stands and the wheel on the axle will be do-able? Iv never done a balance before and currently do not have the funds to take it to a shop.
                          If the bearings are loose, then they will balance up just fine like that. Balanced a few sets on the Kat like that. I didn't get the Parnes' balancer until the first time I tried to balance after putting new bearings in at the same time.
                          Last edited by thetable; 11-01-2011, 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Marc says that you won't get a good balance on the wheel bearings because they aren't smooth enough.

Then again he sells balancers
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                              For rim protectors I use flat pieces I cut from the side of a laundry detergent bottle.
                              Any HDPE works well. I've used oil bottles and shampoo bottles.

Took a spray bottle full of soapy water and some patience.
                              I try to avoid the potential of getting any water inside the rim. Water will greatly affect pressures as the tires get warm. I like the paste from NoMar and I have heard great things about RuGlyde as well. As always, the trick is proper application; You don't want too much, and you really don't want it in the wrong spots. I lube the drop center well, get one bead on the rim, then lube half the outside of the rim and inside of the tire. The half that I lube is where I finish mounting.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and info everyone. I got the Dyna beads and road around everything feels fine. No shakes or odd vibes. Took my hands off for a sec and the bike stays straight no wobbles or anything.
                                2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

Working...
                                X