X

post wheels on a pre kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post wheels on a pre kat

I have an '88 kat and found one the fingers on my sprocket drum is broken off, so I bought another one only to find out it's apparently for an 89-97 and doesn't fit my 88. I cannot find a sprocket drum for the 88 wheels. So I'm just going to get new wheels. I prefer the look of the post wheels and was wondering if they fit on pre kats. I know the rotors use a different bolt pattern, but I'm not sure if there's any other dimensional differences. I have searched, but could not find an answer. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by redkat View Post
    I have an '88 kat and found one the fingers on my sprocket drum is broken off, so I bought another one only to find out it's apparently for an 89-97 and doesn't fit my 88. I cannot find a sprocket drum for the 88 wheels. So I'm just going to get new wheels. I prefer the look of the post wheels and was wondering if they fit on pre kats. I know the rotors use a different bolt pattern, but I'm not sure if there's any other dimensional differences. I have searched, but could not find an answer. Thanks in advance.

What I would expect...

The post wheels will work if you use 98-02 front wheels, with any 98+ rear.

I would expect the rear wheel to be a little tight but easily workable in getting it to fit with correct spacers between the swingarm. I would expect the swingarm to need to be pulled further apart by only 1/4" or so total. This is easily done by just carefully flexing the arms out, make sure you do the adjustment equally on either side... so 1/8" left arm, 1/8" right arm. You will need a rotor, sprocket, and carrier to match the new post wheel. If you measure the current distance of width between the fork arms on the swingarm at the axle, I can tell you if that is correct or not.

The front wheel on the 88 6 spoke model uses flat rotors. The 3 spoke wheels use rotors that are offset by 19.5mm. I don't know of any differences at this time between the lowers/spacing for the calipers with the 88 forks, so I believe the difference in spacing is wider mounting points on the wheel hub. If you measure the outside to outside distance for the rotors, I can verify that the spacing would work correctly for the post wheel rotors.

FYI... if you get a post front wheel, you will probably need rotors.

If there is a difference, then additional measurements can be taken to verify if it's calipers, lowers, triples, etc... that make up the differences.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i have an '88 sprocket carrier if your still interested.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Thank you guys. What about 89-97 wheels? I know the sprocket and front rotors are different, but I'm just wondering if they would physically fit without having to mess with the swingarm. Jim, I may be getting a hold of you if the newer wheels won't fit. I'm just not a huge fan of them anyways, so I'm trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Comment

Thank you guys. What about 89-97 wheels? I know the sprocket and front rotors are different, but I'm just wondering if they would physically fit without having to mess with the swingarm. Jim, I may be getting a hold of you if the newer wheels won't fit. I'm just not a huge fan of them anyways, so I'm trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

I really don't believe there is going to be much of a difference between the 89-97 wheels vs the 98+ I mentioned. Most people don't even know that the 88 swingarm is a completely different arm than all the rest of the bikes, and I don't have one in front of me to measure from. If you need measurements, we can do that, for you to check by.

Not having put another set of wheels on the 88 specifically, I don't know what minor/major issues other then what I have pointed out to look for you would run into.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey, not exactly the answer I wanted, but still great info. I had no idea that the 88 swingarm is different.

Comment

Thanks Krey, not exactly the answer I wanted, but still great info. I had no idea that the 88 swingarm is different.

The 88 has a lot of weird stuff like that... minor differences you don't notice till you get down to working on them.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
              X