Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Doing the change to 03+ newer tail. with pics. finally !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing the change to 03+ newer tail. with pics. finally !!!

I have seen a lot of posts (including my own) about doing the switch from an older tail section to a 03+.......Maybe they can make this a sticky so everyone won't have to search through each post to find out what all need to be changed and what doesn't need to be changed...

I am getting ready to do the change my self and have came up with a list of all the parts that need to be change and don't need to be changed

Thing that need to be changed:

03+ tail section
    03+ tail light (from a katana or busa)
    03+ bracket from a katana to hold the tail light in place (because if you did like I did and thought that if the light is the same then the bracket should be as well, wrong the bracket is too wide)
    The screws that hold the bracket to the faring
    And the most important thing paint to match your bike...

***EDIT*** You should also look into getting the undertail for the 03+ it is not an absolute must but there is two bolts that don't line up right near the tail light....

Things that don't need to be changed:

The grab bar is the same so no need to change that
    The undertail is also the same
    The seat is as well the same
    The wiring for the tail light doesn't need to be changed if you buy the tail light from a busa it will plug right in to the socket that you already have or if go with the intergated tail light...(which that is what I am going to do later on...)
    The bolts that you used to hold the older faring on can be used to hold the new one as well.

So all-in-all the total price I have spent is $128 (not counting the paint for the bike...) Break down of the price :

$95 for the faring (nothing wrong with it, just wrong color)
    $15 for the tail light (from someone that had a busa and changed it - ebay)
    $18 for the bracket and few screws to hold it (ronaryes.com)

So besides all the few minor thing that need to be changed it is a smiple bolt-on change..

Pics. sorry it took sooo long to get...lol....and sorry for some of the poor quality...

And this is the only part that don't bolt right up....but doen't matter because it can't be seen unless you are laying on the ground...lol

nice. this should be stickied.

Comment

sweet.
      rock
      always working on mods

Comment

Good stuff, looking forward to the pics !

Comment

I just dropped the bike off to have all the work done to it yesterday...hope to have pics. up as soon as it is done....

Comment

Please I'm very interested in see the results! can you please upload the pictures?

Comment

Pics. will be added as soon as I get the bike back.....I am unable to just go take pics. of it while they are working on it because where they are working on it is like two hours away....sorry but the first day that i get it back the pics. will be on here...

Comment

Will this work with the 2006 Kat also? It sounds like a dumb question but I'm new to all of this and need and all the help I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by fosdawg
                  Will this work with the 2006 Kat also? It sounds like a dumb question but I'm new to all of this and need and all the help I can get.
                  No fosdawg this till not help you, You already have the newer tail on your 06 Kat.
                  This is for the people with the 98 to 02 Kats that have the cone shaped tail light, So that they have a tail light like yours.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

i did the 03 tail and i had to buy a new seat lock cable. the new one is 3 inches longer.

Comment

smoubara have you photos?

Comment

why would you go w a busa tailight... isnt it smaller than the 03+?

anyway... has anyone done a new hayabusa tail conversion for a 98+? that would be sweet minus the split seat setup...
                        Without Fuel, Fire, and Compression- Air just seems useless!

Comment

I did the change over but i didnt put the busa brake light so i didnt need that or the light holder, basically i chopped my shovel with a dremel tool which worked amazing and put in my undertail kit with the lights and it came out great... fits dead on... .just had to do some trimming to make it fit nice and snug... just have to paint it when it becomes warmer... will post pics once it is painted. Its going to be all black end and i think i will paint the grab handle also black to match.

Shiny side up !!!

Comment

Where did you buy that under tail ? Because I thouhg about doing the same thing and couldn't find that undertail anywhere. I am thinking after awhile I will buy that and change out the tail light....

Comment

Well it was www.bikepartsforyou.com
                              I'm not sure if he still runs the business i had trouble getting the part. The guys father was sick or something and in the hospital so he e mailed me that the business is on hold right now... so it took over 3 months to finally get to me, so i was worried but yea... he's not replying to any e mails right now... you can try e mailing him from that site and see if he replies... they are $265US comes with undertail and the lights/turn signals integrated... he paints it to whatever color u want... i wanted black. Hope that helps.
                              Shiny side up !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X