X

Mod kat or save up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod kat or save up?

Well I live in wisconsin so the season is jus about over. Im torn between modding my kat (jet kit, fender eliminator, etc...)or saving for a gsx-r. Any thoughts?

well, in fact everything depends what are you looking for.

If it's only "look", you have a great machine, so probably some tuning (elegant tuning of course).
    But, if you are loking for an R bike, go to the GSX-R

Comment

stating the obvious ... the kat will never be a GSX-R no matter how many mods you do. Unless you do the engine/frame/ front-end/rear-end swap mod!

That being said, there may be some of the cheaper mods you can do while you wait for spring.

Comment

I would do some mild mods on the Kat and buy a gixer if I were you but the big issue is $$$$$$$$.

can you afford having to bikes in your stable?

can you afford insurance on the gixer?

cosmetic mods are cheap and easy to do!

Again another pro's and con's list is a must.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

As others have said, if you're happy with the Kat then do some small mods. If you want something else, don't bother.
          I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
            I would do some mild mods on the Kat and buy a gixer if I were you but the big issue is $$$$$$$$.

can you afford having to bikes in your stable?

can you afford insurance on the gixer?

cosmetic mods are cheap and easy to do!

Again another pro's and con's list is a must.
            I cant afford two bikes right now and the only thing im iffy about is the insurance. I guess ill check the local bike shop periodically and see if something stikes my fancy. I got a long 3 months of no riding

The other question i had is does going from carbed to fuel injected have pros/cons?

Comment

Also, what kind of riding do you do? If you ride over 200-300 miles at a time you might enjoy the comfort of the kat more than the extra power of the gsxr.

Comment

Originally posted by The Arson
                The other question i had is does going from carbed to fuel injected have pros/cons?
                Fuel injection is generally more problem free (longer before it develops issues), but parts are often more expensive when it does. Retuning a fuel-injected bike means tinkering with the electronics (usually in the form of installing a PowerCommander, which takes over for the CPU of the bike in the injection control phase). Use of an injection cleaner in the fuel every 3 months or so is encouraged to ensure a good spray pattern happens (critical to the injectors working right).

KNOW THIS:
                An ultrasonic cleaner filled with fuel injector cleaner and run for a couple hours can often salvage a crap injector. You have to be careful about what type of ultrasonic cleaner you buy -- some get hot and have 5 minute timers; better units (often magnetically driven) will not get even warm to the touch and can be left on for hours.

PS - I'd rather have injection than carbs, provided the injection is mapped well (some early injected bikes have very snatchy throttles due to poor mapping).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If i did get a gixxer it would be probably a 2001 or younger. I just gatta see what opens up and how much $$ I have. How much more is insurance on a gsx-r than a kat roughly?

Comment

Originally posted by The Arson
                    If i did get a gixxer it would be probably a 2001 or younger. I just gatta see what opens up and how much $$ I have. How much more is insurance on a gsx-r than a kat roughly?
                    How old are you and how many years riding experience do you have? An R bike can be sgnificantly more (i've seen guys under 25 pay more a year in insurance on their new R bikes than I paid for my kat when I first bought it

Comment

2 completely different bikes for 2 different styles of riding. Both can do alot of things well, but its all in what you want. Daily commuting, occasional canyon carving, long trips, just putting around town, the Kat is your bike.

Besides, Mod'n the Kat is more fun than just going and buying a new bike. You can say you did the mods, u worked on the bike, you made it your own w/ ur own unique style.

Comment

just remeber that your kat is long stable bike and GIxxers are twitchy (so i have been told). Rmeber if you bought a current 750 gsxr you would have 128 hp at rear wheel compared to your 750 kats 85 and you would wiegh less by 100 lbs. You will never get gsxr like power out a kat. But, you will never get katana's easy ride and stabilty out of a Gsxrrrr.
                        Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

what about a gsxr 600 compared to a kat?

Comment

unless your a professional rider you'll never ever use the power the gsxr has nor propably the kat. depending on the condition of your current ride you'll propably get alot more self gratification by moding the bike your self. grab a beer go to the garage and start thinking. look here for ideas. its fun and cheap.I was going to go for a hayabusa for the easy seating position and as you know power,but started messing with my kat and the thought of the money well that idea is gone out the door.

Comment

uf your like me and others and love the look of the kat work it

Comment

Working...
                              X