X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes TPS is throttle position sensor. But if you are swapping a late model Kat engine into an older (pre 1998) bike you are going to use the late model wiring harness, so why not use the late model carbs as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
      Yes TPS is throttle position sensor. But if you are swapping a late model Kat engine into an older (pre 1998) bike you are going to use the late model wiring harness, so why not use the late model carbs as well?
      When I put my 98+ engine in my '92 I kept the pre98 wiring harness and pre98 carbs. Everythings working no problem.
      '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
        So I've got to correct Special K the post 96's come with a TPS.

Comment

The Kats here in the states did not have TPS until the 98 model year. 89-97 uses regular carbs with no TPS.

ANd I always use this rule of thumb: CDI, CARBS, ALTERNATOR, WIRING HARNESS all stay WITH BIKE, not engine.

Simply put, just change the engine ONLY. EXCEPTION: OIL COOLER STAYS WITH ENGINE.
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Strange to hear, overhere in Europe the TPS was introduced with the 96-models (both 600 and 750).

Comment

I though the TPS showed up in the US models in '96 as well, when the conversion to the CR9EK spark plugs happened.

If I understand it correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong -- anyone):
              the TPS isn't truly mandatory; all it does is minorly alter the spark timing from the CDI at large throttle openings (including WOT). It doesn't actually change the CDI to a second spark map or any such, nor does it invoke MSD (which I think would be a good use of it). The degree of alteration is beneficial in getting a slight bit more power out of the combustion cycle, and keeping the emissions cleaner (at least with the stock set-up -- don't know how the interaction at high RPM's between the advance of the TPS and an ignition advancer would work). Unplugging the TPS doesn't seem to increase the rate of plug fouling nor seem to affect performance in any major way (try it and see).

I'm hoping to get on the phone with a Suzuki factory tech rep sometime soon to verify some facts for the book I'm working on, and what the TPS input signal actually varies (and how) is one of the primary reasons I wanted to talk with the factory. If I get a more definitive answer, I will let you know.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think you covered it Cyber. The only machines that change to a different map are FI machines. Carbed machines only advance timing on top end to give a better burn in the cylinders. Know I could be wrong and I will be corrected if that is the case.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Ok, since I have suffered the little "problem" in my engine, I´m searching engines. Are those posible options?:

GSXR1100--->1990-1992
                  GSX1100F--->1988-1994
                  GSXR750---->1989-1991
                  Bandit 1200

Just curious...
                  PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

I am not sure about the GSXR750 and the GSXR1100 will work if you use the old 1127 engine.
                    The bandit does work, I haven't heard anyone mention anything about the GSX1100F engine.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by masrapido
                      Ok, since I have suffered the little "problem" in my engine, I´m searching engines. Are those posible options?:

GSXR1100--->1990-1992
                      GSX1100F--->1988-1994
                      GSXR750---->1989-1991
                      Bandit 1200

Just curious...

Only the oil cooled engine will work...........no water buffaloes! So..........that list may be correct, but I'm not sure............

Also, don't forget the 98-05 Kat 750 engines! That would be a SUPER and SIMPLE swap for your bike, and cheaper too!
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                        Originally posted by masrapido

GSXR1100--->1990-1992
                        GSX1100F--->1988-1994
                        GSXR750---->1989-1991
                        Bandit 1200

Just curious...

Only the oil cooled engine will work...........no water buffaloes! So..........that list may be correct, but I'm not sure............

Also, don't forget the 98-05 Kat 750 engines! That would be a SUPER and SIMPLE swap for your bike, and cheaper too!
                        Thanks! All of those are the SACS ones. Sadly, around here in Spain post-98 Katanas arent quite populars. At the moment, I have found a pair of ´90 750 engines, a ´91 1100 and maybe in a yunkyard they have a ´00 750.
                        And I have found two wreckeds pre-98 with engines working.
                        PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

A few notes on the above:
                          You'll want to use a 600 frame instead of a 750 as it's cheaper to insure!
                          Just be careful on that. It is not a good idea to hide the fact that you have a bigger motor. If something severe happens, and you need to file a claim, the insurance can cancel your policy and forgo settling because you insured a 600 and indeed own an 1100. Don't hide what you have from the insurance. If you do, they can legally tell you that they are not paying and there is nothing you can do about it. You need to be honest or it is like you lied. Maybe they will charge you more for the bigger motor...maybe not....but you should tell them.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

+1 on Mojoe, here you really could get in trouble with the insurance company...

Additionally, if you have bike inspections where you live you might get in trouble. In Sweden they will for sure fail your inspection, and have you reregister the bike with the larger displacement (which would require a paper from Suzuki that insures that the frame and the brakes could handle the higher power, weight, speed etc.)...
                            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I have a spare Katana without engine, that is for track days use only, so I would installe the 1100 engine there. I only need money (again...).
                              PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

would this work in a 2000 750 frame

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com

Comment

Working...
                                X