X

Cranks, but wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranks, but wont start

'05 Katana that I just bought and haven't actually ridden yet (A buddy test rode it for me)

I turned on the key to look at the mileage this morning and forgot to turn it off and killed the battery. I jumped it with a car battery (car was not running) and is started right up. I took off the cables and left it idling in neutral on its side stand for about 15 minutes to charge the battery. I later tried to restart it, it cranks like a champ but it won't start. I am such a newb, but please tell me this is something simple.

It has about 1/4 tank and petcock is set to "on." "Res" gives the same result. Choke was on full when trying to start it, also tried with no choke.

Originally posted by stonefry View Post
    '05 Katana that I just bought and haven't actually ridden yet (A buddy test rode it for me)

I turned on the key to look at the mileage this morning and forgot to turn it off and killed the battery. I jumped it with a car battery (car was not running) and is started right up. I took off the cables and left it idling in neutral on its side stand for about 15 minutes to charge the battery. I later tried to restart it, it cranks like a champ but it won't start. I am such a newb, but please tell me this is something simple.

It has about 1/4 tank and petcock is set to "on." "Res" gives the same result. Choke was on full when trying to start it, also tried with no choke.
    Battery has not charged enough to start the bike. Not only does it need enough to turn the bike over, but you have to have enough left over to also run the bike at the same time.

You need something like 12.5v minimal for the CDI to fire the bike when the starter is turning over.

Charge the battery more, or replace if your drain on it damaged it too much to prevent a full recharge. Do NOT use the bike to charge the battery with. It was not meant to recharge a battery, only to maintane a charged battery. Pick up a trickle charger (can be had for $20 or less) and recharge it that way. If you have a bike, you need one anyways.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks a lot. I'll get a trickle charger tomorrow. I knew I would need one, just not this soon.
      Last edited by stonefry; 06-22-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X