X

Clear Coat on High Gloss Paint?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coat on High Gloss Paint?

I'm working on my first paint job. I have a question I couldn't find the answer to in the threads on painting. If I use Rust-Oleum high gloss auto paint over a dupli-color primer, do I use a clear coat or should I use a paint that is not a high gloss paint. Paint, primer and clear coat are all spray can. Thanks!

you can clear the gloss undercoat. I highly recommend you wet sand it with 800 before you clear though
    the clear will be a nice protection layer, and give you something better to work with when polishing it to a mirror shine
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      you can clear the gloss undercoat. I highly recommend you wet sand it with 800 before you clear though
      the clear will be a nice protection layer, and give you something better to work with when polishing it to a mirror shine
      Thank you! I will go the wet sand route before putting the clear on.

Comment

Make sure your primer, paint and clear coat are compatible. I've seen paint lift off like it was slick because of reactions between non-compatible stuff...

Good luck.

Comment

Yes you will have to run a clearcoat. If your useing the rust-olium enamel it will chalk up over time if you don't. Rust-olium also makes a high gloss enamel clearcoat that dries to a nice shine. Also be aware of re-coat window times between the base and clearcoat. If you wait too long the clear may have a bad reaction to the base. I useually spray the base let it tack up a bit then throw the clear in about an hour so the two coats melt together. Read the cans though to be sure that will work though

Comment

I had already put the dupli-color primer on. To be safe, I'll pick up some dupli-color black then put the clear to it (dupli color also). I planned on putting on anywhere from 3-4 coats of clear to give me something to wet sand/buff in order to get any "orange peel" out of it.

Comment

Working...
            X