X

pre decal removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre decal removal

just thought i'd share how my decal removal went on my '93 750. at first i had tried the heatgun + 90 deg slow pull method, but soon discovered (as mentioned in other threads) that the pre kats use some sort of insanely stubborn glue that separates from the sticker. i tried the following solutions to try and get it off - oil soap, windex, wd-40, goof off, and kitchen cleaner, with heat and a light scrubber pad. minute bits would scrape eventually flake off, but at that rate it would have taken months.

at this point i was ready to give up, but i read about the astro eraser pad/pinstripe remover (400E model). 10 bucks after shipping on ebay, and i am a happy man once again.

the real star of this thread

what i started with

part way through

just about done. this is right before i removed the fairings to access to the hard to reach nooks

to anyone trying this i recommend leaving the fairings on the bike while you remove as much of the decals as you can, as you need to apply a bit of pressure. just try to keep the rubber bits from getting into the cooling fins and other engine parts.

at this point all i need to do is remove the light marks left by the rubber. i don't plan to fix the scuffs and scratches now; that's a little more involved than i want to get on my first bike =P. perhaps that will be another adventure at some point. anyway, recommendations on how to clean up the rubber marks and how to do a simple polish would be much appreciated!

forgot to add that i used a regular pencil eraser to get inside the tight angles in the front scoop and to do final spot cleanup.
    Last edited by rolofung; 11-09-2009, 03:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1993 GSX750F

That's awesome work! I wish I had known about that thing when I was taking off my decals.
    Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

Originally posted by rolofung View Post
      ....at this point all i need to do is remove the light marks left by the rubber. i don't plan to fix the scuffs and scratches now; that's a little more involved than i want to get on my first bike =P. perhaps that will be another adventure at some point. anyway, recommendations on how to clean up the rubber marks and how to do a simple polish would be much appreciated!

forgot to add that i used a regular pencil eraser to get inside the tight angles in the front scoop and to do final spot cleanup.

Swap out that nifty rubber pad with a cloth "buffing" pad. Use a little paint buffing compound, should help to clean things right up pretty quickly.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah... I think Gtyrdunkat found something similar to that a few years back.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Nice!, luckily I bought mine with the decals already gone, but good to know for future jobs like this

Comment

Yeah, I think I went through a small fortune in bug removers, cleaners, strippers, etc, before I found that little gem.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I got kinda lucky when I did my 96. About 50% came off with little or no residue with a heat gun, and then loosened up the rest of the adhesive with lacquer thinner, and then cleaned any left over with sem solve A.K.A. bug and tar remover. Took about 3hrs though.
              Attached Files
              96 Suzuki GSX750F
              89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
              05 Yamaha WR450F
              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
                I got kinda lucky when I did my 96. About 50% came off with little or no residue with a heat gun, and then loosened up the rest of the adhesive with lacquer thinner, and then cleaned any left over with sem solve A.K.A. bug and tar remover. Took about 3hrs though.
                the only issue on mine was the tank decal was under the clear coat so I had to wait till it was paint time to scuff it down and remove. But it was only the Small "S" Suzuki symbol, no biggie.
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

wow that looks nice. i wanted to remove my decals too but was afraid to do damage, thanks for the tip
                  this is the best icon eva

Comment

I bought the same thing for a snowmobile hood and it burned right through the paint, be careful using it.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

shout out to gytrdunkat for the original post on using the astro eraser pad. 96katana96, as ep87 said, you might get lucky with the adhesive being easier to remove on your bike with a simple solvent. this problem might just be isolated to the early 90's pre kats. or maybe it's the age of the glue.

what polishing compounds do you all use? i gave the bike wash and light wax, but as i understand this is only a temporary cover-up because the light rubber marks aren't removed until i use a polish (which is slightly abrasive, correct?).
                      1993 GSX750F

Comment

all done... for now. after i do a real polish i'll probably add some blue 3m reflective tape.
                        1993 GSX750F

Comment

Looks great! Much better without the factory graphics. That why I took them off my 96, they just looked so dated. I think your would look good with some simple reflective stripes maybe white, silver, or maybe a lighter or darker shade of blue.
                          Richard
                          96 Suzuki GSX750F
                          89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                          05 Yamaha WR450F
                          05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X