X

Kandit clutch recommendation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kandit clutch recommendation

Hello, what clutch plate/ springs would you recommend for my highly modified Katana?

Bandit 1200 (1157) engine
    WISECO 81mm (1216) piston kit @11:1
    1989 gsxr intake cam
    36mm Katana 750 carbs with a dyno jet kit.
    Dual oval K&N pods
    Dyna 2000 ignition system

I don't have the dyno numbers yet but it should be in the 150rwhp +/- range with 100lbs +/- of torque.
    The clutch is original and probably going to need replaced since I'll be abusive it at the strip.

I'm looking for a clutch / spring combo that will hold around 190hp with well over 100lbs of torque. I'm looking to set up a 35 shot this winter and spray next season.
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
    Hello, what clutch plate/ springs would you recommend for my highly modified Katana?

Bandit 1200 (1157) engine
    WISECO 81mm (1216) piston kit @11:1
    1989 gsxr intake cam
    36mm Katana 750 carbs with a dyno jet kit.
    Dual oval K&N pods
    Dyna 2000 ignition system

I don't have the dyno numbers yet but it should be in the 150rwhp +/- range with 100lbs +/- of torque.
    The clutch is original and probably going to need replaced since I'll be abusive it at the strip.

I'm looking for a clutch / spring combo that will hold around 190hp with well over 100lbs of torque. I'm looking to set up a 35 shot this winter and spray next season.
    EBC sells upgrade kits with stronger springs. Most times it's recommended to stick with OEM springs for the non modded bikes due to the clutch pull pressure being much higher on the upgrade springs (tired clutch hand/wrist on regular rides).

In your case, it sounds like those may be a good fit.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Doesn't the bandit engine have a hydrolic clutch, not a cable one? That might help with that, stiffer springs shouldn't matter as much for having to pull the clutch in.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Doesn't the bandit engine have a hydrolic clutch, not a cable one? That might help with that, stiffer springs shouldn't matter as much for having to pull the clutch in.
        All of the OEM setups on the 1127/B12 motors are hydrolic. It's a simple step to swap in a cable pull clutch, and happens frequently with the kat engine swaps. I wouldn't have recalled the specific setup on this one as it wasn't mentioned in this post that I saw.

I would agree, if it's a hydrolic setup, that should mitigate most of the increased pressure by stronger springs.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It's a cable clutch atm, but I'm definitely going to retrofit a bandit 1200 hydro setup. Anyone know if the stock Katana 750 break line will work with the bandit master cylinder?

I have Barnett clutch springs in a box somewhere, if those are as good as EBC?

I'll probably retrofit the hydro clutch and do the spring at the same time.

Will a stock clutch pack be okay?

I've heard horror stories about aftermarket packs.
          Last edited by Tekgnome; 06-08-2017, 08:28 PM.
          The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Well for $30 I stole a B12 sprocket cover and slave cylinder from eBay for the hydro clutch retrofit.

I'll buy a clutch master and break master cylinder kit and replace both them at once with some decent braided lines.

I did some preliminary measureing with the carbs off, I'm thinking about making boot spacers out of aluminum and welding a nitrous fitting to each of them.

It will spray post carb but I'm not sure how well it will atomizer being so close to the engine inlet.

I'll try out the Barnett clutch springs when I fit the hydro clutch and I guess I'll have to accept I'll eat clutch packs if I'm planning on spraying frequently.

Right now with 11:1 compression on the forged wiseco kit I'm hoping for a 35 shot. Realistically I'd like to keep going up jet sizes until it makes about 210rwhp
            Last edited by Tekgnome; 06-12-2017, 09:28 AM.
            The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
              I did some preliminary measureing with the carbs off, I'm thinking about making boot spacers out of aluminum and welding a nitrous fitting to each of them.
              Depending on your abilities, it would be super nice if you would make the entire intake out of aluminum. You know, the entire piece with the flange that bolts to the head, not just a piece of intermediate pipe. The full set is no longer available for the Kat-1100. People would buy them, I bet $$$ If you do, be sure to put a sync port on those bitches. Thats mo money fo sho Ever tried to sync a kat-1100 ? You'll know what I mean if you do.
              EDIT: All the oil cooled flanges are the same, I believe. I bolted B12 intakes on my Kat-11, but the carbs are like 1mm smaller. A piece of silicone tube (coupler) should seal it though.
              Last edited by katanarider; 06-14-2017, 06:36 PM.
              My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                Depending on your abilities, it would be super nice if you would make the entire intake out of aluminum. You know, the entire piece with the flange that bolts to the head, not just a piece of intermediate pipe. The full set is no longer available for the Kat-1100. People would buy them, I bet $$$ If you do, be sure to put a sync port on those bitches. Thats mo money fo sho Ever tried to sync a kat-1100 ? You'll know what I mean if you do.
                EDIT: All the oil cooled flanges are the same, I believe. I bolted B12 intakes on my Kat-11, but the carbs are like 1mm smaller. A piece of silicone tube (coupler) should seal it though.

Actually I'm an idiot I posted out on custom fighters specifically about the nitrous set up and they were incredibly helpful.

They actually make bolt on direct port spacer that bolts on the head between the boot and the block.

Cheap, effective and reliable.

The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Working...
                X