X

Fairing repair help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing repair help

I am going to attempt to fix my fairings on my kat. The previous owner did a crappy job doing fiberglass work (It is peeling off the plastic???). So I am going to have to remove what he did and refab the fiberglass.

After reading the stickies i'm a little confused (adhesion promoters, resins, epoxies, etc...) So I'm starting this thread to get some clarification.

I want this to last and I want to do it right. Pretty much every piece of fairing needs fiberglass and epoxy work.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me everything I need to buy to do fiberglass repair (creating new mounting points) and to fix cracks???

I would greatly appreciate it!
    Josh
    Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Fiberglass and ABS don't mix. Try searching for "plastic weld" or "plastic repair"
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Comment

Ok so how do I fix a fairing by plastic welding if there is no plastic at the mounting points?

I understand I can plastic weld some of the cracks but what about where there is NO plastic?

I tried to upload pics but there was an error.
        Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

mounting points? you can fab your own with Plastex: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2121022498415#

and cracks are easy, just make sure you V-out the crack so you get more surface area, then plastic epoxy

=)
          the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
          # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
          [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Thanks. Where can I find plastex? And what product is recommended with the epoxy route?

Comment

i just went to Canadian Tire (hardware store) and picked up a plastic epoxy. just read the label - needs to be compatible with ABS. I think i paid $5 or something
              the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
              # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
              [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

I've always scuffed up the backside of the fairing with 80 grit, fiberglassed that, and then put bondo on the front side. Prime and paint, with plenty of sanding in between, and you'd never know a crack was ever there. I've done it on a few bikes so far, my repairs have always lasted at least as long as I owned the bikes.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but it's always worked for me in the past

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Fiberglass and ABS don't mix. Try searching for "plastic weld" or "plastic repair"
                  Somebody finally said it on here- wont mix, always fails eventually.
                  Plastic weld seems to be the only way to repair for long term .
                  Bondo can be used over epoxy primer, bondo over raw abs fails down the line also.
                  If you are working on 1100 fairing, have one that was in garage fire, would be perfect to get mount points from etc.Not much good for anything else.
                  Been following some of the 2 parts systems i've seen on here, will try some out and let sit.Have used evercoat plasticworks in some situations for build areas over raw abs.
                  If you end up plastic welding, make sure to get rid of glass 100%- very toxic mix when welding

Comment

Originally posted by T McCall View Post
                    Bondo can be used over epoxy primer, bondo over raw abs fails down the line also.
                    If you are working on 1100 fairing, have one that was in garage fire, would be perfect to get mount points from etc.Not much good for anything else.
                    Been following some of the 2 parts systems i've seen on here, will try some out and let sit.Have used evercoat plasticworks in some situations for build areas over raw abs.
                    If you end up plastic welding, make sure to get rid of glass 100%- very toxic mix when welding

Most people do know they aren't compatible. Save yourself alot of headache, steer clear of anything marked Bondo, buy the ever coat filler.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by T McCall View Post
                      Thanks but I think I will try the plastex and epoxy route. If that doesn't work I will be looking at new fairings.

Comment

I fixed my fairing on my r6, I bought it after it had been laid down. The right side fairings were cracked and broken. I had planned to replace them then I did some research on the internet and decided to have a go at fixing them myself. I put some time into fixing them but I came out great you cannot tell the bike was ever wrecked. Plastic welding is really quite easy to do and you will find once you start, things that looked unfixable are fairly easy to fix.
                        - 04' Kat 600 (my reliable bike)
                        - 01' R6 (my fun bike)
                        - 00' Cavalier (my POS daily driver)

Comment

Working...
                        X