No announcement yet.
X

thinking of a 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks a bunch guys...so it looks like right now a kat isnt for me.

and no, im not at all offended or hurt by the whole height/weight thing. i knew from the beginning this would be something id have to look closley at. while most beginners can just ask what cc bike they need and whats a good brand..i gotta do a LIL more in-depth on what i choose.

just for shits i went down to the local suzuki dealership which also carried some yammerhammers. they were completley sold out of sport bikes lol. they had one, like a suzuki sv500 or something. it was kinda sporty but i want somethign with full fairings and a windshield.

iv been lookin online at ninjas...the 250 just dosent appeal, so ill probably go up to a 500 or 650r. although their new zzr 600 is pretty sweet. while i know of the potential risk that quicker bikes bring, i know in myself im mature enough to take it easy untill i get the hang of things. someone on here once said "the thing dosent have just an ON/OFF switch, you CAN control the throttle".

i truly appreciate all the help and comments..and even steering me towards another mfg of bike. that truly shows your motorcycle enthusiests first, and kat owners second. ill probably stick around here from time to time, and some day id love to own a cat for a tourer.

thanks again guys!
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1200/1707/88400.jpg
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R

1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4. lifted and armored

1964 buick electra 225-35xxx original miles, 325bhp/445tq

Comment

All good advice up there IMO.
      I got my training and Licence first, rode a few different bikes which helped me decide better.
      IF you can get on a few bikes and ride them that'll help.
      I was 'iffy' between a sportbike and adventure bike, sat on a few, rode a few small versions at the course, bought the Kat. Recently took it out on the twisties with 16 other bikes and realized I have LOTS of bike left there, with no need to change for a while! Straight line power is one thing, but actually riding the bike to a factor close to its potential is a few years away I think. Who cares if a guy has 1 second on you in a 1/4 mile? Big deal. All bikes are FUN!!
      Anything that's comfortable will be challenging. There's a few riders around town here with 250's and 500' that kick most people's asses
      Have fun amigo,
      Erik (newb this year)
      "Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb

Comment

Stick around you can learn a lot from these guys...remember not everyone here rides a Kat...be careful on your choice of bike. The sport bikes GSX-R, R1 or R6, ZX#, ZZR's, etc are very sensative. Many write ups on this site have been guys that went from Kats to one of those bikes and they state that the bikes are twitchy. You release the clutch too fast and it will wheelie on you. As a beginner you may want to avoid that. Not to say that there aren't people that have started on those bikes but they learn the sensativity really quick...look into a used bike instead of new for the reasons above...good luck and take care..
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Well, did you get a chance to sit on any of them?

Comment

Maybe you should take the MSF course first before even purchasing a bike just to get used to how certain types of bikes handle. I also do not recommend getting a brand new bike especially if you never rode before. Get something older but well taken care of and that way if you drop it it's not the end of the world. Also that way if you don't spend a lot of money you can further down the road get a more powerful bike once you get experience under your belt. I don't reccomend starting out on an insanley fast bike for your first as well. I am like you and I love speed and am not once disappointed with the Kat. It's got plenty of ummphh when you feel the need for it but I am glad my first bike wasn't a Hyabusa because I would probably be dead right now.

Comment

You said city riding... Now I don't know what city, but for most urban areas, a small super-moto bike (think dirt-bike converted for street use with street tires) is an absolute blast, can handle pot-holes and sidewalk curbs, etc. They can also be very cheap in smaller sizes (a dealer in the area was slamming out 190's for something well under $3k new recently). Now a 190 doesn't sound like much, but for inner-city with the right sprocket gearing, it will do 60 as a top speed AND beat most sport bikes off the line at the same time, which is all you'd need for heavy urban areas like NYC, SanFran, etc.
              Just a follow-up thought.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well as a fairly inexperienced and small rider (5'5"ish) on a kat 600 I'll give you my opinion

my initial start to the street was on a CB250 and the power killd me, I couldn't stand how weak it was
                BUT I learned how to really ride the bike hard, and how to control my bike
                I rode my dad's 124hp 460lb FZ1 and boy was it a world of difference
                now I have a kat 600 and I can only barely touch, I've never dropped it, but I have very good balance
                I rode my friend's ninja 500 and it seemed about as fast, but oh so much lighter
                for street riding/in town riding the 500 was in it's element for sure longer highway cruise or really racin it I prefered my 600
                but the 500 was kinda more fun
                now I want a FZ1, or Bandit 1200 because I've proved to myself that I can ride with power responsibly
                is the kat 600 a great starter bike? no I don't think so, but you can do it
                a GS/EX500 or SV650 or B4 or anything like that will be lighter, more maneuverable, probebly better gas mileage, and STILL faster than all the cars
                Live and Lean.
                When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                Romans 3:23

Comment

great info guys.

to whoever asked, no, i didnt get to sit any cuz there were absolutley NONE left lol. they said they didnt have anything to show me. im leaning a bit more towards a ninja right now 500-650 and im gonna go by the dealer tomorrow morning before work. i work screwy hours (10-7) so i have to do everything in the morns.

while i must say im a bit bummed on not getting a kat, ill live for now. i just really liked the way they were said to ride well on long distances and whatnot.

and also, i live in amarillo texas, its the largest city in the panhandle area at 175K. and plus if i wanna go somewhere i dont wanna be stuck on a lil enduro. and plus i gotta have my speed later heh.

i located my nearest msf course spot and i think im gonna start the paperwork on that.

as far as buying bikes...im really in a situation where i cant afford to just buy a beater..lose money, then buy a more expensive one. i want something good cuz to be honest...not sure when ill get another chance to purchase one. i may look around here (not many for sale, all being bought up) for a nice newer one...but im weary of used vehicles...esp sporty ones.
                  http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1200/1707/88400.jpg
                  2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R

1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4. lifted and armored

1964 buick electra 225-35xxx original miles, 325bhp/445tq

Comment

sorry dude but unless you have dirtbike riding or any kind of motorcycle riding,I honestly think the Kat 750 or the 600 are not a beginner bike...If you really want a Kat buy one but buy a cheap JAP Standard,80's era you can get pretty cheap,and practice,they like the Kat are not sloutches when it comes to power....good luck dude be safe....

Comment

Working...
                    X