X

what oil type all you prefer???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what oil type all you prefer???

Hi all, i like to know what oil type you guys use and what you think is the best for our machines in hot weather.

thanks in advance, Robert 8)
    power is nothing w/o control

Mobil1 MX4T

Comment

Amsoil is good stuff, HS2020 is a dealer so he's got the connection if you'd like to go that route. Ive used it before in other bikes of mine and have always been pleased with it. Ive also used Castrol GPS and MOBIL 1 MX4T, as JP mentioned. Use a lighter weight oil in warmer weather and a heavier weight in colder weather.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
        Use a lighter weight oil in warmer weather and a heavier weight in colder weather.
        have that backwards, don't you? heavy weight doesn't go over so well up here in the winter. it is like molasses. makes for some hard cranking.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

CyberPoet's "How to understand and choose motorcycle motor oils" at MotorcycleAnchor.com. Detailed, covers all the basics, including what and why (and what not to use and why not to).

In general, I recommend any JASO-MA rated 10w40 to 20w50 (including 15w50) motor oil for your Katana -- by definition, it should meet and exceed all your needs and work well for you. In specific, I run Castrol GPS (not GTX) 10w40 and 20w50 here in Florida, running straight 10w40 in the winter and either a combination of the two or straight 20w50 in the summer (depends on the month & temp).

I tend to recommend Mobil 1 MX4T (10w40 by definition) and Mobil 1 VTwin (20w50 by definition) for riders who have any problems locating the Castrol GPS products, since the Mobil 1 product is available through most super-Wally-worlds (Super Walmart Stores; not regular Walmart stores).

If you are pressed for $$, the cheapest JASO-MA rated oil I know of is Valvoline's Motorcycle and Valvoline's ATV motor oils, around $3 a liter (verses $8-$10 for the GPS & Mobil 1 products), and available through many auto-parts stores. I would recommend you change it more frequently though.

Whatever you do, do NOT use any API SJ, SL or SM rated oils, nor any oil marked "Energy Conserving" in the API ring.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

After being on this board for a short 10 months, I was lucky to learn early on from some of the masters...CyberPoet is one of these very sharp people...taking his advice I started using Castrol GPS 20-50, and my Kat has been running just awesome ever since...smooth smooth smooth...

Oh and the other piece of advice I took from Cyber and MD86 was to change out the stock tires...I just did this 4 days ago, went with Metzler Z6's and WOW what a difference!

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice and help...
            Wishing everyone on KR the very best 8)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCool
              After being on this board for a short 10 months, I was lucky to learn early on from some of the masters...CyberPoet is one of these very sharp people...taking his advice I started using Castrol GPS 20-50, and my Kat has been running just awesome ever since...smooth smooth smooth...

Oh and the other piece of advice I took from Cyber and MD86 was to change out the stock tires...I just did this 4 days ago, went with Metzler Z6's and WOW what a difference!
              Glad we could help
              Nice to see people benefitting from the advice... Gotta love them Z6's!

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dang it people! I've told you guys already. He is a Suzuki computer implant deep into the katrider mainframe...better working bikes = better sales. Comon!

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much.....the photos he posts of himself on "rides" is really just some robot that the Cyberpoet supercomputer controls via satellite....All in an effort to become seemingly more human.

I think he has other sponsors though...Suzuki isn't the only one that has a grasp on him...I think Pirelli/Metzeler, Castrol, Throttlemeister, and a few others are given a few minutes at the controls every week.... :P
                  FrankenKat 1216
                  GS Fiter 816
                  GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Right now the bike has Castrol Actevo synth blend oil. The next oil change I am going to Motorex 4T full synth.

Comment

Suzuki motorcycle specific oil from the dealer. I got it for $2.50 per ct. Any good brand car oil will cost me that much, so why should I take a chance with any other brand?

Comment

this will probably make most of you shudder, but I get my oil at wal-mart or canadian tire @ $6-7.00 a gallon. Castrol 10-40 car oil. been running that for the last 10 years and retired my other kat with 120k miles on it. still strong for the year/mileage, and tranny shifts as smooth as silk. unless one lives in a very hot climate with alot of city driving.....or if you regularly redline and work the motor hard, it is my opinion that $8-10.00 for a qt of oil is insane.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                          this will probably make most of you shudder, but I get my oil at wal-mart or canadian tire @ $6-7.00 a gallon. Castrol 10-40 car oil. been running that for the last 10 years and retired my other kat with 120k miles on it. still strong for the year/mileage, and tranny shifts as smooth as silk. unless one lives in a very hot climate with alot of city driving.....or if you regularly redline and work the motor hard, it is my opinion that $8-10.00 for a qt of oil is insane.
                          Along that line my buddy has been running Rotella diesel oil in his SV for years without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000
                            Suzuki motorcycle specific oil from the dealer. I got it for $2.50 per ct. Any good brand car oil will cost me that much, so why should I take a chance with any other brand?
                            Just make sure you check the bottle -- Suzuki swapped their API SF/SG/SH house brand to an API SL-rated oil about last November or so... And you wouldn't normally want to run SL-rated oils in your Kat.

Originally posted by Mojoe
                            this will probably make most of you shudder, but I get my oil at wal-mart or canadian tire @ $6-7.00 a gallon. Castrol 10-40 car oil. been running that for the last 10 years and retired my other kat with 120k miles on it.
                            Probably wasn't an issue until these past few years, when API SJ through SM started coming into the main-stream. A decade ago, API SG ruled the roost and that's exactly what the Kat wants...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much.....the photos he posts of himself on "rides" is really just some robot that the Cyberpoet supercomputer controls via satellite....All in an effort to become seemingly more human.

I think he has other sponsors though...Suzuki isn't the only one that has a grasp on him...I think Pirelli/Metzeler, Castrol, Throttlemeister, and a few others are given a few minutes at the controls every week....
                              don't forgot suzuki oil/airfilters... i dont know if he would reccomend the throttlemeister anymore after his 5 mile long ride asleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X