X

one more problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiba
    What's your riding position like? Sitting up or otherwise increasing the drag can do bad things to the mileage.

/kiba
    Oh c'mon ! Sitting up vs/ laying on the tank ain't gonna affect your milage THAT bad unless your FLOGGING it on the highway . Even then , I doubt it'd make it as bad as he describes . I have saddlebags with about 30 extra pounds in them . I'm SURE they create drag . But they don't keill my milage , even when the jetting was WAAAAAY off (as verified by a dyno) . And if my jetting was TOO far off , I'd be fouling plugs . THAT was the only time I'd ever get less than 30 mpg .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yeah i am kind of at a lost, dyno guy is still on vacation, but i would like to understand how and why, i guess just have to revert back to the dyno. i am not burning up plugs or anything or fouling them....

if i figure something out i let you all know, but most likely just talk to the dyno guy to figure it out

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

If you figure it out, let me know. I also get (relatively) poor mileage but have always just written it off as my non-tucked riding position... I know the wind attempts to blow me off pretty good when I'm sitting up.

/kiba
        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

How bad ? Check plugs ? Ever gotten into the carbs ? Emulsion tubes CAN wear out in as little as 5k miles , but you'll end up running preyy rich if that's the case ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

emulsion tubes are pretty much the only thing left unchanged since i ahve had the bike. however they don't seem to be out of round or worn, but maybe a good idea to replace them and remove the doubt,

kiba. i'll let you know, i hope i find it soon

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I was running on 3 cylinders with two saddle bags sitting upright and standing alot and got about 35, normally I'm at 45, hope these guys get you fixed up
              Live and Lean.
              When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
              "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
              Romans 3:23

Comment

Sin is usually 100% on carbs... but I'm inclined to tell you to also search for the other possibility that you might be missing just to be on the safe side -- fuel loss other than through the engine during run. Specifically, a leaking petcock seal, a nicked fuel hose or connection, or a bad o-ring (leaking) in the fuel-rail of the carbs. Or maybe even misrouted hoses (vacuum line misconnected to a fuel supply line).

While you are at it, pull your air filter and take a paper towel to the inside of your airbox -- wipe it out and report back what you find. Double check your air filter for cleanliness while you're at it.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i'll do that hopefully tonight. i thought about the fuel leaking, and none fuel leaks that i can find. all new supply lines and orings and is sealed up tight. but i'll rip it apart, do the air box thing and take a pic of it.

Comment

ok, got my new chain and sprocket put on and WOW big HUGE difference. And i got to stand beside my bike while the dyno guy did a couple runs and man all i can say is HUH? I can't hear you! and left with a huge smile on my face and a ringing in the ear. And i was wearing ear protection! I have scene videos of dyno runs, but being a foot from the bike it is amazing, just WOW!!! But i layed down 92.7 hp and didn't get to see the torque, he was flipping screens to fast.

He said not to bad for crappy jetting and older bike. But he said i was rich there and lean there and way off there. so he wrote some suggestions and i changed them and worked great. He only did half the run so he said bring it back this week (try to today or tomorrow) and he will finish up my runs and should squeeze 5 more hp, but i don't care about that, just want it to run great and good gas mileage. but it is fun to know what your bike puts out.

But hell I had one hell of a smile on my face this morning coming back from work.

But long story short, i think i got my mileage problem fixed, 40 miles round trip to work last night and still sitting on full. but i don't want to post up what i did until the dyno says i am where it should be and i run a tank or two, so in a weeks time at the latest i'll post the results.

thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X