X

Painting poll...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting poll...

Okay so I really want to paint my bike with truck bed liner like I did my sprocket today... It has a cool texture and look and I can do the whole bike in an afternoon. Plus it is durable and I already have three cans.

On the other hand, if I drive to FL I can have them professionally painted (candy red or blue for free. So it would cost me ~$100 in gas that I DON'T have to spare.

???
    Truck bed liner...
    12.50%
    Or professional job...
    87.50%
    Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

If I had access to a free professional paint job, I would get the money together for it. On the other hand, I think you should do the bed liner paint. . . just cause I'm curious to see what it ends up looking like. It would definitely be unique.

Comment

The best pro "textured" coatings I've seen on a bike, still looked "backyard" to me.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

if you ever try to sell the bike, the rhinoliner job is gonna kill your resale...in fact, i wouldn't even consider a bike with that sprayed on it, it screams "bike's been trashed and hacked back together"....

but hey, it's your bike, not mine

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

if you can get a free paint job you should definitely go that route. but it's your bike, whatever makes you happy.

Comment

Ok so what about just painting my tank with truck bed liner? My rims will be black so It might look cool if the tank and rims matched and everything else were red or blue.

If I was to ever get rid of the bike I think I would buy a new tank anyways since mine is dented and has rust hole from before it was sealed up.

Opinions?

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            if you ever try to sell the bike, the rhinoliner job is gonna kill your resale...in fact, i wouldn't even consider a bike with that sprayed on it, it screams "bike's been trashed and hacked back together"....

but hey, it's your bike, not mine
            My bike has been hacked together from the p.o. lol
            Last edited by Ilovemyvtx; 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

Truck bed liner is like duct tape for cosmetics.

I used it to paint the grab bar and various little brackets on the XJ, but I would never use it to paint a whole bike unless I was specifically going for the rat look. This coming from somebody who really does like flat black bikes..... but my flat black bikes I knew I COULD paint normally if I so chose to. Once you've done the truck bed coating, that's about the end of it.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

stay AWAY from Trucker liner!

resale will be shot
                ***** to sand off
                cant repaint
                texture would look bad and homemade
                grip along the legs would feel weird and would eat leather i would think
                truck liner has more weight do to density and globs on texture

even for sprocket i would have stuck to high temp paint...

leave the truck liner to the truck

but hey....its your bike man! ill support either way!

p.s. i would buy an extra set of fairing and do it...mabey buy some cracked or dropped fairing on ebay and truck liner them to test!
                03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

professional job...
                  sigpic
                  "TIME FLYS SO LIVE LIFE FAST"
                  { = X = }

Comment

youd be crazy not to get the free pro job expecually if it only cost 100 bucks to get there and back plus its FL . . .lol

Comment

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
                      stay AWAY from Trucker liner!

resale will be shot
                      ***** to sand off
                      cant repaint
                      texture would look bad and homemade
                      grip along the legs would feel weird and would eat leather i would think
                      truck liner has more weight do to density and globs on texture

even for sprocket i would have stuck to high temp paint...

leave the truck liner to the truck

but hey....its your bike man! ill support either way!

p.s. i would buy an extra set of fairing and do it...mabey buy some cracked or dropped fairing on ebay and truck liner them to test!

Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

is there a time frame on the pro paint job? if not I would wait until I had the 100$ to spare and go that route, if you wont have it in time, or you need to have it done right away, then truck liner will work, but you'll hate it with in hours gaurenteed.

Comment

Yeah, it will be 1-3 months before I will be able to do the professional job...

Comment

You'd be nuts not to get the pro job . . . but for some things, bedliner is awesome. With good prep and light misting coats it comes out looking very much like factory plastic with a slight texture, and it's tough. I re-did some F4i stock signals that were pretty beat up and they turned out looking great; I'll be doing the same with some handlebar switches that still function well, but have 20 years of wear and tear on them.

But a whole bike . . . I'd love to do a cheap and dirty ratbike in bedliner. But not a perfectly good stock bike with intact fairings.

Comment

I'll have to be a square on this one and say, "Leave the truck bed liner for the truck beds."

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                              X