No announcement yet.
X

Traffic etiquette???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats an awfully squid like move. someone could open their door and or change lanes and you're on your ass. all because you wanted to save some time.

use your brain on when and where to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
      i thought in the UK it was legal and they dont seem to be having problems with it. they call it filtering, should just be legal here too. would stop the people from trying to open their doors and junk.
      I rode in the UK for several years and it is common to split lanes, helps with the flow. Yes you do have to be very careful though. I clipped a few side view mirrors but nothing serious. Scares the wholly crap out of ya.
      Driving over there is an art, I'm telling ya.

Comment

Originally posted by sonny
        thats an awfully squid like move. someone could open their door and or change lanes and you're on your ass. all because you wanted to save some time.

use your brain on when and where to do it.
        I think you're wrong about the squidliness. I don't see why it's illegal, especially in stopped, bumper-to-bumper traffic. Motorcycles give up some advantages to cars (such as rain protection, less safety, increased likelihood of death in accident, little storage space, etc.), so why not gain a few advantages? Especially since this particular advantage in no way causes harm to those in the cars. Sure you might have some jackass open a door on you, but you also have the assholes who when you go to pass them on a backroad swerve to to the center of the road and speed up. No matter where you go or what you do you're gonna face assholes. Either learn to have a hawk eye and cat like reflexes, or freshen up on your fighting skills by watching the Rocky series (I-IV, cause V was just plain awful). Hell I used to get pissed at the bikes cause they made it through traffic so bad. Know what I did? I bought a motorcycle .
        What the deuce!?!

Comment

I believe Texas is going to pass lane splitting/sharing like in California. All states should adopt the law in areas where high conjestion is found.

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
            I believe Texas is going to pass lane splitting/sharing like in California. All states should adopt the law in areas where high conjestion is found.
            there was an article in cycle world (i think) about the texas lane splitting issue. if i remember correctly, the article said that texas HAD passed the law to make lane splitting legal. however, a buddy of mine called a police office or some other legal/law-making office and found out that the article was incorrect. he said they believed it failed because they were worried about the motorcyclists getting hurt when someone who doesn't know about the law tried to stop the person from splitting.

Long Live the D

Comment

It's legal in California (Spliting/sharing), and I just read on this www site that about 3 months ago it became legal in Texas http://news.motorcycle.com/article.motml?sid=3304

Also about a month ago I believe I read that Washington state had passed or was getting ready to pass a spliting/sharing law to make it legal.

I don't see why it shouldn't be made legal in every state...I do like the wording/rules that Texas has put down...

Oh and living here in Cali...I do it everyday, and it gets the juices flowing...WHew!

Wishing everyone on KR the best 8)

Comment

The body of what JoeCool posted (Texas statute) -- I think it's well worded and well thought out:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
                SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
                by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
                follows:
                (a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
                (1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
                (2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely. Note: this is the loop-hole provision. If you go down or have an accident, it's on you.
                (e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction during periods of traffic congestion if the operator:
                (1) is at least 21 years old;
                (2) has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662;
                (3) is covered by a health insurance plan providing the operator with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating a motorcycle;
                and
                (4) operates the motorcycle:
                (A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour over the speed of the other traffic;
                (B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less; and
                (C) in a location other than a school crossing zone or other than a location where the posted speed limit is 20
                miles per hour or less.
                SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCool

Oh and living here in Cali...I do it everyday, and it gets the juices flowing...WHew!

Yea, I get pretty amp'd up passing thousands of cars on the freeway. I feel like im in a starwars movie or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X