X

Can I go a little wider in the back?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I go a little wider in the back?

Do you guys know if I can go with a little wider tire in th back? Like 160/70-ZR17 rather than 150? I have a 2002 600.

You can, but keep in mind that the tire will "wrap" more and may not even look as wide. Here is an example...150 on the left, 160 on the right. You can see that the wider tire actually looks narrower. Now, if you're doing it for looks, think twice...if you're doing it for performance, I think it's a great mod.

Comment

Thanks, it was mostly for looks becuase I don't ride that agressive. Thanks again, that was very helpfull! I just picked up the new bad boy, but won't be able to ride for a while. (MN winters...blah)

Comment

Oh, this is about tires? Okay, nevermind then ..
        TiM

Comment

Originally posted by sexwax
          Oh, this is about tires? Okay, nevermind then ..

Comment

Originally posted by gsxr150
            Thanks, it was mostly for looks becuase I don't ride that agressive.
            Then pick up a sander...

Those bigger chicken strips are going to make
            it look like you just go straight..

Comment

HAHA!

Comment

I went to a 160/60 rear on my 2K 750. Works out great for me. You can even go a 170 as zukiman did on the rear but thats pushing it. but it works well for him, bill that is.

Comment

Yip...170/60 will fit, but keep in mind that your tire choice will be very limited....very few tires in 170width are made for a 4.5" rim.

I usually run a 160/60 - it seems to be the better choice, because all the SV650's use the same width rim...since SV's are common on the racetrack, there's a plethora of very sticky rubber available in that size. Since a 160 offers a rounder profile, I found that the bike turned in to corners a lot easier - it gave a "sportier" feel, and was a bit more inspiring on the confidence levels.

I used a Metzeler Z6 160/60 at the end of last summer as per Cyberpoet's recommendations - and it was awesome! This year, I'm going to start off with a pilot power in the same size - mostly because the power level on my bike is being increased. I've also used an Avon AV46 160/60, and it was nice - though the Metz seemed to offer more grip, better stability, and more predictability.

Just some thoughts!

Hahaha, AHF, you been practicing standup wheelies again? (left rear peg is down!)
                  FrankenKat 1216
                  GS Fiter 816
                  GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I went from a 150 to a 160 on the back of my 750, it didnt make it that much wider but the contour of the tire made it handle great.I also went with the same width but a lower profile up front.

Comment

That would be a 110/70 up front instead of a 110/80
                      In my previos post I should have said stock width up front.

Comment

so im getting a bit confussed. i hear that getting a wider tire on the rear is not good for handling. but from this post, i hear that maybe it is good for handling. can antone clear this up?
                        << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                        KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

Originally posted by DooD

Hahaha, AHF, you been practicing standup wheelies again? (left rear peg is down!)
                          Hey, I just caught this!

Originally posted by KAOS
                          so im getting a bit confussed. i hear that getting a wider tire on the rear is not good for handling. but from this post, i hear that maybe it is good for handling. can antone clear this up?
                          The subject's always a big debate. In my case, on a 98+ model (4.5" rim), we were down at the Gap and I was running the stock 150 touring tire. I started "rolling over the lip" of the tire, which meant I was running out of tire in the turns. Putting on the Diablo 160, which also had more of a "V" profile gave me more tire to lean over on. So, I literally went with a wider tire for safety reasons.

Most of the negatives on wider tires have more to do with the actual fitting of a bigger tire on a small rim.

Comment

98+ rim with a 160 is perfect.
                            1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                            2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                            Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Originally posted by BearKat
                              98+ rim with a 160 is perfect.
                              got one you're willing to part with? please?!?
                              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X