X

My Katana is on its last legs. Sigh.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mojoe
    actually i think i am going to call that guy up and go check it out. any idea what it would cost to fix 2nd gear? i have never played around with the transmission on a bike or have any idea what is involved. Keith said $300 for labor....and what...maybe $100 in parts? If i can get the bike for $900-1000, and put $400 into it, that wouldn't be too bad.
    or i guess i could always just slap my spare 1100 into it.
    From what I've been told by several sources, to get a shop to replace 2nd gear on that generation of Katana, you're looking at maybe $100 in parts, but 15-30h labour. All of these people said they were experienced at doing that job, and they were pretty consistent about the labour estimate.

"Of what is significant in one's own existence one is hardly aware, and it certainly should not bother the other fellow. What does a fish know about the water in which he swims all his life?" -- Einstein

sadrik
    00 Blue VFR800, '99 Blue Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by sadrik
      actually i think i am going to call that guy up and go check it out. any idea what it would cost to fix 2nd gear? i have never played around with the transmission on a bike or have any idea what is involved. Keith said $300 for labor....and what...maybe $100 in parts? If i can get the bike for $900-1000, and put $400 into it, that wouldn't be too bad.
      From what I've been told by several sources, to get a shop to replace 2nd gear on that generation of Katana, you're looking at maybe $100 in parts, but 15-30h labour. All of these people said they were experienced at doing that job, and they were pretty consistent about the labour estimate.

I did a 1st and 1nd gear replacment, with new shift forks, cylinder and some other stuff inside an EX500 Tranny (kawi,,, I know) and my brother and I pulled the engine, dissassebled the tranny, and reinstalled in probably under 20 hours, no experience, only a manual.

Only part that took time was ordering and waiting on parts....

-Grimmy
      Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

Originally posted by sadrik

if it is only $100 in parts, i might just try it myself.....if i pick the bike up that is.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Time for a rebuild.
          TiM

Comment

Yeah , it's like $200 for parts and a weekend in labor . Thom posted about that a while back . Now about that 1127 ......
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sorry about your luck Sadrik, sounds like it could be promising to do it on your own though?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

May we have a moment of silence please while taps is played in memory of sadrik's Kat.

If it were me I would rebuild it & put a bigger engine in it.

Good luck.
                I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Might wanna look at this.....

Clickster
                  FrankenKat 1216
                  GS Fiter 816
                  GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                  X