X

I think I found one...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found one...

So I was junkyard shopping today and I think I found an 88 1100, but i'm not 100% sure. The piece of fairing that was around the headlight looked right, but that was the only plastic on it. Looked to be minimal rust, but its buried kinda deep so I doubt it runs. The tank looked in good condition, although maybe rust in it as well, but can't know for sure at this point.

I'm thinking about going back and seeing what they'll take for it, but I'm not sold yet, so I've got 3 questions:

1) Are there any distinguishing marks I can look for (aside from the fairings) that would tell me what this is?

2) What would be a fair price for this bike? I'd like to pick it up as its a nice project...

3) How's the parts market right now? I can't really afford to spend 500 on a bike then 7K in small parts to rebuild. I'm happy to junkyard hunt obviously...
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

My guess is, that you want the motor and nothing else. From what I've been reading, the power windscreen and mirrors are impossible to replace.

I do see kat1100 plastics on eBay all the time.

Don't you have a bad motor?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I do... and trust me I'm thinking about it...

I feel bad tearing apart something that has this kind of vintage though, even if its already in rough shape. I'm gonna try and pull it out of the pile on Saturday and see what it looks like, could be in far worst shape than I saw today when I found it.

And since I'm already 60% of the way through a FI project, I don't need the carbs either... Wow, an '03 600 with a fuel injected 1127... This could be something...

And now I'm sad because I know I have about a 15% follow through rate on projects...
      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
      -Robert Morrison

"
      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Well, I would look for the VIN plate on the frame first... that would be a dead give away. In rough shape and unknown condition, I don't think it's worth more than a few hundred bucks... like... whatever the rate for metal recycling is.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

1988 Kat 1100s did not have adjustable front shocks, If you take off the handle bar cover there would be a screw adjuster if it was an 89 or newer. If you have to dig the bike out of a pile of junk, I would not pay more than 300 or 400 for it, but I can't see what you are looking at.
          01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Working...
          X