X

Ducati 848 test ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducati 848 test ride

I was out on the Katana enjoying one of the last nice sunny days in northeast Ohio for the year. As often happens on these days, I found myself perusing the sexy Ducati exotica at Crooked River Motorcycles in Akron. I asked the sales guy if I could throw a leg over an 848 they had sitting there, I thought it felt more comfortable than I expected. When I mentioned that, he asked if I would like a test ride. Why of course I would!

It must have been sitting a while because the mechanic wasn't sure if it would fire up. It did on the second shot, so he pushed it outside and warmed it up. Even with the stock cans, the 848 has a real nice throaty growl. I would hesitate to go aftermarket if all you are after is the sound because it sounds so good stock without being obnoxious or drawing unwanted police attention. Twist the grip and it revs quickly and barks nicely.

On board, it was more comfortable than I expected. The riding sensation and personality of the bike were surprisingly like the Buell 1125R I tested earlier this year. The Buell was noticeably more powerful, and slightly more comfortable due only to the higher set bars. Both were significantly "harder" in every way than the Katana, especially the harsher suspension. The 848 seat was wide and comfortable to sit on, if a bit on the hard side. I actually felt the Ducati seat was better than the Buell seat, but that would come down to personal preference. The riding position is the most compact of any bike I've ridden. I'm not a big guy, so it was comfortable for me. The only discomfort coming from the racy low set bars.

Rolling out of the parking lot, I noticed the peculiarly Ducati sensation of there being less bike in front of you. It may take some getting used to. In my 20 minute ride, the bike never felt completely familiar. It was easy enough to control the throttle that at least I was able to feel fairly at ease on it quickly. From the first time I pulled away, I discovered the throttle to be easy to modulate. It never felt like I had to be "careful" with the throttle. The brakes on the other hand were a different story. I never upset the bike, but the brakes come on very aggressively with light pressure. After the wooden Katana brakes, I will need to work on a light two finger pull.

It was about 68 degrees F out. I had read complaints about the exhaust roasting butts and thighs. In my 20 minute ride at that temperature, it wasn't an issue, but toward the end sitting at an intersection with a light tailwind, I could feel the exhaust heat being blown against my back. Ten degrees hotter out, and it would have been really uncomfortable. I know it is a Ducati trademark, but haven't we gotten past the underseat exhaust fad yet? So 2001. If I found a good aftermarket low slung exhaust, I wouldn't hesitate.

After I developed some comfort with the throttle, I wanted to see what it could do. (It already had over 1,000 miles on so I wasn't concerned about break in.) The 848 doesn't develop a lot of power below about 6,000 RPM. That and the fact that the fuelling is very linear and smooth makes it a very easy bike to handle around town, as long as you don't mind a heavy clutch pull or low set bars. Wide open in third just resulted in the bike going like stink, no shake or light front. I did a short freeway stretch and never got out of fourth gear at 75-85. However, on a clear stretch of side road, I went WOT in first. Not much happened at first but at about 6,000 RPM the front started to levitate. I held it there for a second and it just kept coming up on the throttle, but very calm and controlled. At about 45 degrees of rotation, I backed off. Another second or two and I would have worn the thing like a big red hat. What a ride! It never felt out of control or frantic and with a little practice, very smooth power monos are in your right hand.

If the dealer offered a fair price, and I could find some good financing, I could easily be talked into one of these. I still want to try out a SuperDuke, and I want to see if any of those super cheap Buell 1125R's are still around. From my research, I believe the Ducati to be more reliable than the Buell. However, for $6k, the Buell is every bit as good as the 848, just not as pretty.
    Last edited by freight dog; 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM.

Great write up...

I've wanted to test ride an 848 for a while now... I bet it was a blast...

It still ranks as one of the best looking bikes out there...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

[QUOTE=allblackkat;1836525]Great write up...

I've wanted to test ride an 848 for a while now... I bet it was a blast...

sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog View Post
        I was out on the Katana enjoying one of the last nice sunny days in northeast Ohio for the year. As often happens on these days, I found myself perusing the sexy Ducati exotica at Crooked River Motorcycles in Akron. I asked the sales guy if I could throw a leg over an 848 they had sitting there, I thought it felt more comfortable than I expected. When I mentioned that, he asked if I would like a test ride. Why of course I would!

It must have been sitting a while because the mechanic wasn't sure if it would fire up. It did on the second shot, so he pushed it outside and warmed it up. Even with the stock cans, the 848 has a real nice throaty growl. I would hesitate to go aftermarket if all you are after is the sound because it sounds so good stock without being obnoxious or drawing unwanted police attention. Twist the grip and it revs quickly and barks nicely.

On board, it was more comfortable than I expected. The riding sensation and personality of the bike were surprisingly like the Buell 1125R I tested earlier this year. The Buell was noticeably more powerful, and slightly more comfortable due only to the higher set bars. Both were significantly "harder" in every way than the Katana, especially the harsher suspension. The 848 seat was wide and comfortable to sit on, if a bit on the hard side. I actually felt the Ducati seat was better than the Buell seat, but that would come down to personal preference. The riding position is the most compact of any bike I've ridden. I'm not a big guy, so it was comfortable for me. The only discomfort coming from the racy low set bars.

Rolling out of the parking lot, I noticed the peculiarly Ducati sensation of there being less bike in front of you. It may take some getting used to. In my 20 minute ride, the bike never felt completely familiar. It was easy enough to control the throttle that at least I was able to feel fairly at ease on it quickly. From the first time I pulled away, I discovered the throttle to be easy to modulate. It never felt like I had to be "careful" with the throttle. The brakes on the other hand were a different story. I never upset the bike, but the brakes come on very aggressively with light pressure. After the wooden Katana brakes, I will need to work on a light two finger pull.

It was about 68 degrees F out. I had read complaints about the exhaust roasting butts and thighs. In my 20 minute ride at that temperature, it wasn't an issue, but toward the end sitting at an intersection with a light tailwind, I could feel the exhaust heat being blown against my back. Ten degrees hotter out, and it would have been really uncomfortable. I know it is a Ducati trademark, but haven't we gotten past the underseat exhaust fad yet? So 2001. If I found a good aftermarket low slung exhaust, I wouldn't hesitate.

After I developed some comfort with the throttle, I wanted to see what it could do. (It already had over 1,000 miles on so I wasn't concerned about break in.) The 848 doesn't develop a lot of power below about 6,000 RPM. That and the fact that the fuelling is very linear and smooth makes it a very easy bike to handle around town, as long as you don't mind a heavy clutch pull or low set bars. Wide open in third just resulted in the bike going like stink, no shake or light front. I did a short freeway stretch and never got out of fourth gear at 75-85. However, on a clear stretch of side road, I went WOT in first. Not much happened at first but at about 6,000 RPM the front started to levitate. I held it there for a second and it just kept coming up on the throttle, but very calm and controlled. At about 45 degrees of rotation, I backed off. Another second or two and I would have worn the thing like a big red hat. What a ride! It never felt out of control or frantic and with a little practice, very smooth power monos are in your right hand.

If the dealer offered a fair price, and I could find some good financing, I could easily be talked into one of these. I still want to try out a SuperDuke, and I want to see if any of those super cheap Buell 1125R's are still around. From my research, I believe the Ducati to be more reliable than the Buell. However, for $6k, the Buell is every bit as good as the 848, just not as pretty.
        Buy it, you'll love it.
        Rich
        '05 Duc s4r 996

Comment

Until you need to do any work to it......

Not trying to throw a sweaty sock on the fire...I bet it was UH-MAYZING to drive

Comment

I rode one this summer. You're right about the AMAZING exhaust, man that thing is a beast. This bike was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever ridden though. I can honestly say that if someone gave it to me, i'd sell it after a week, no question. Any gixx, cbr, or zx would be a much better choice for me.
            R.I.P. Marc- 09/20/09

Comment

Two other things I just remembered. The first thing I would buy for one is mirror extenders. I sincerely believe the engineers were laughing their asses off as they designed the mirrors. There is no adjustability available to show you anything other than your elbows. I think Rizoma or someone makes some that are longer than the Ducati catalog ones and are cheaper too.

The second is some Stomp Grip. With the effectiveness of the brakes, I would need to be able to grip the tank a lot better than the smooth paint allows.

Originally posted by sladecm View Post
              I rode one this summer. You're right about the AMAZING exhaust, man that thing is a beast. This bike was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever ridden though. I can honestly say that if someone gave it to me, i'd sell it after a week, no question. Any gixx, cbr, or zx would be a much better choice for me.
              I rode an S4R Monster, and have heard the M1100 with Termi's and they sound phenomenal. I wanted those just to make that noise, but the 848 sounds almost as good without being obnoxious.
              Last edited by freight dog; 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The 848 and 1098 are the only Ducs I could ever see myself owning. That white 848 is just pure sex.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

mmm.. a pearly white 1198.. red powdercoated frame and wheels.. a non ear bleadingly loud but perfecly classy carbon canned Ti exhaust system.. Maybe an exhaust wrap from the headers to the cans if it cuts back on some of that exhaust heat and doesn't show and stick out too much. The last perfect touch though would HAVE to be a light grey suede seat like the Motion Ducati's.. Wouldn't hurt too much if it said 848 on the side instead, but I doubt there would be a better looking sportbike at any light around town.

Comment

go back to get it in December or January.. id bet you get it super cheap. and if you don't ill go up to Akron to get it!

Comment

Originally posted by giftedwon View Post
                      go back to get it in December or January.. id bet you get it super cheap. and if you don't ill go up to Akron to get it!
                      I really like that idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X