X

sigh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sigh

I decided to go for a little ride after work today. went out to start the bike and got the dreaded click buzz. great. batterys dead. tried again and she cranked. went for my ride and when I returned I decide to see if the ride charged the battery. nope. even worse now. upon removing the seat to attach the battery charger I see a bunch of corrosion on both terminals. ok I'll just pull and clean everything. that's when I found out someone had used slotted head machine screws to attach the terminals! I got one loose but had to cut the other one off with a pair of dykes. luckily it came off better than expected. cleaned everything up and call my old pal jimmah. luckily he has a set of battery bolts in his tool box. ride over in the cage and get them (thanks again jimmah!) and return to install them. they won't fit no matter what I do. at this point I do some research and discover that I do not have a motorcycle battery but rather a utility battery. well I find some bolts that work and put it back together and she fires right up without charging. I guess I get to add battery to the growing list of things to do before riding season gets here.

Hey , whatever works , right ? I've seen worse . Like batteries carried in saddlebags and hooked up with wire . And no , that wasn't me .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hey, ive hooked them up w/ zip ties or electrical tape, already in a pinch... thanks matt

Comment

Baking soda & water to clean the terminals. Emory cloth for the cable connectors.
        Coat with dielectric grease (or vasoline in a pinch) afterwards to prevent the oxidation from coming back.

Good luck with that!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the best terminal cleaner is vinegar - dump it on and rinse it off

I know there are a lot of folks who stress over their battery and buy battery tenders and hoook up little trickle chargers - they only cost $35-$40.... I just buy a new one every 2 years, keep it full of electrolyte and never worry about it.
          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
          X