X

Heads up on insurance quotes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up on insurance quotes

I was just thinking of upgrading my Kat for either a Busa or the new Kawasaki zzr14 ,but when I looked for insurance quote.... the ZZR14 is double of what I'm paying on my Kat and the the Busa is actually 3 times than what I pay for my Kat right now.... That alone discouraged me to purchase any other bike...I will rather spend the money on mods than on insurance... As an advise do your homework before buying ...

Its amazing the insurance jump when you go from a Kat to even a gsxr 600. I mean for my age especially. 21 yr old guy in jersey with a gsxr 600, my quote was as high as my car insurance, except the bike was bare minimums and my car is the best insurance you can have. The Kat is dirt cheap compared to others.

Jay
    2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

Comment

are you in canada?

Comment

I was in the same boat when shopping for a bike. I pay about $640 / year for the katana (comprehensive). I would have been paying around $1800 for a busa.

Comment

Yea, I wanna get a busa eventually, insurance rates suck.

Comment

Here in FL a BUSA can cost you 3k y/r that is about 9k in 3 years of ridding! I really do not know how some people can ride and pay such a high rates...

Comment

I don't even want to talk about this...

I will most likely end up with a GSXR track only bike....along with the Kat.
              1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
              2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
              Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

I'll check quotes for other bikes once and a while, it's normally pretty depressing.

Hell even a 16 year old FZR 400 is more than the Kat up here .
                Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                  I'll check quotes for other bikes once and a while, it's normally pretty depressing.

Yep. Even the Rz350 is more than the kat.

Edit: Pretty much anything that ends in a Z or and R means bend over. If it's an RR it just means no lube.

It's like algebra. where a normal premium is P, age is A, and the multiplier is Z or R. The value of the multiplier is just an arbitrary number snatched out of the air. Could be 10 could be 50, Depends on the weather or wether the insurance agent is getting any.

P/A*gsxr=BO
                  P/A*cbr1000rr=BONL

Comment

Lost me there pal

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                      Originally posted by woobie

Yep. Even the Rz350 is more than the kat.

Edit: Pretty much anything that ends in a Z or and R means bend over. If it's an RR it just means no lube.

It's like algebra. where a normal premium is P, age is A, and the multiplier is Z or R. The value of the multiplier is just an arbitrary number snatched out of the air. Could be 10 could be 50, Depends on the weather or wether the insurance agent is getting any.

P/A*gsxr=BO
                      P/A*cbr1000rr=BONL
                      Crack!

Comment

I feel your pain brother. Sometimes I get that feeling that maybe I can start looking at a new bike. When I look at the insurance premiums, however, I snap back to reality.

I'm really starting to appreciate the value the Kat is for a sport bike. Cheap insurance, easy to maintain and enough bike for most people. I think I'm going to be riding my baby for quite some time.
                        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by timbales
                          Here in FL a BUSA can cost you 3k y/r that is about 9k in 3 years of ridding! I really do not know how some people can ride and pay such a high rates...
                          Motorcycle insurance isn't mandatory if you have no leins on the motorcycle in Florida -- that's how many do it (including myself).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Once you get over that 1000cc mark, or your insurance company slaps that 'sportbike' name on it, the rates just go through the roof. My '05 Kat 750 was even $300 cheaper a year than a Yamaha FZ1 which is NOT a sportbike. The insurance company said it was because it was listed as a liter sport bike on their computers. They have my Kat down as a 750cc street bike. No different than a 750 Honda Nighthawk!!!!
                            2005 Aprilia RST1000
                            2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
                            1998 Chevy Tahoe
                            www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

The Katana is most likely classified in the 'touring' or road class same as cruisers and Triumphs. The rates depend more on the amount of cc you have, 600 being low, instead of the amount of unlicensed young bikers that killed themselves in the last month on the type of bike you have. A gsxr will be more expensive to insure in the bigger cities than out in the boonies because more squids ride and die in the city.

My Daytona 600 is classified as a 'touring' bike. I pay $400.
                              TiM

Comment

Working...
                              X