X

Wiring nightmare

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring nightmare

So I get my new to me Katana back to the house today and realize that I don't have rear turn signals. No big I'll buy some I say. Then I realize I can't use my signals and my headlights don't work. Tail and stop light does.speedo and tachometer work at first but fuel gauge is on E. I have fuel....and headlight hi indicator is on even though the switch is on low and my left turn indicator is constantly on. So I tear the fairings off. Yup ghetto wiring to the turn indicators in the Rear. Go to take the headlight assy off and it's shattered in the back and I see wires ghetto taped together. I dig deeper, the white 9 ( I think it's 9) wire plug is melted in 3 spots. 2 are the ghetto wires that bypassed the plug,and the other is a thick black with white line wire. I am guessing that it's a main ground. So my question is can this nightmare be fixed or am I buying a new harness? If it's harness I've got a 2000 600. Where can I find one.? If my wife finds out she will kill me.

Well yes to both. Here's what I did pull the harness, unwrap it. Find the bad wire route and color. Figure out what needs repaired (not to hard to do). Pick up some proper gauge wire and shrink tubing. Grab your soldering iron and replace the wires going buy the same route. The wiring diagram blown up to 3x the size helped a lot and a camera (staring at wires can make your brain go blank, it helps to take a few pics before and after you remove the loom). . Rewrap the loom and install. You can get replacement plugs as well. Or save yourself the grief and get a good used loom off eBay. They are pretty cheap. The headlight can be pricey..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well it's off to ebay...lol I priced most of it,headlight I just have to bite the bullet.

Comment

So I went out early today before work and plugged headlight harness up. Nothing,keep in mind melted plug. Wiggled the ground, viola highbeams. No lows though??? What gives?

Comment

Bad plug, burnt switch..... That would be my guess.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Burnt plug. I cut it out and rewired it and voila....I have all lights, turn signal indicator is no longer constantly on and tachometer works. I even have light in my fuel gauge. ....although that still reads empty but hey that's another issue.....real riders don't need a fuel gauge.

Comment

The sender in the tank itself could be bad, or the wires might not be connected
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i have just found and bought a replacement off of ebay, whilst i was looking i did find another from a 2000 in germany inc postage was Ž£50 gbp $66 ish
                If its got tits or tyres it will cause you grief!

Comment

I pulled the tank on this issue and looked at the plug from the sending unit.. the ground as not firmly in place and the positive was.....spliced in....and wasn't connected....connected wires and viola....it works as well. 2 for 2.....now to fix my carb issue.

Comment

for now this thread is closed.....until I get to my rear turns and licence light...lol

Comment

are you saying that you had no spark because of the tank sender unit?
                      If its got tits or tyres it will cause you grief!

Comment

Originally posted by stejack View Post
                        are you saying that you had no spark because of the tank sender unit?
                        No. I didn't have fuel gauge because of the bad wires on sender unit

Comment

Working...
                        X