X

Went to the drag strip

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to the drag strip

First off I want to start by saying drag racing a bike is alot harder then it looks. I mean anyone can open up the throttle, but launching the bike at the tree is another story.

This past Sunday afternoon I rode 1 1/2 hours down to Fayetteville Drageway to see what this Kat can do. I arrived at 3pm and it was packed (20 bikes, 30 cars) also the track temp was 92deg. so I only got in three runs.

The good news, I was as fast if not a hair faster then a guy on a green ZZR600. The bad news, my best run was a 13.07 at 105mph.

The first run I did I was way too excited. The green light came on and the next thing I knew I was doing a wheelie and staring at my gas tank. I let off the throttle, came back down and ended up with a 13.3 at 101mph.
    The second run I was gun shy and rolled out at 3k rpms, (13.2 104mph.)
    The third run I rolled out at 4k rpms (13.07 at 105mph.)
    My third run I had my best 60'ft time of 2.11.

I found a cool web site that takes the weather from the nearest airport and gives you a corrected E.T. ( sea level, 65deg.) and said my time would have been 12.616 at 109mph.

I think I will wait until November and maybe try again. Also I am 235lbs and had on full gear.
    2006 GSX600F

Three runs and never did it before not bad dude.

Comment

i want to go to the track one day but man theres alot involved. i dont have full leathers for one. i know the restrictions are pretty high. plus all that time at the track for only 3 runs is alot of time sitting around.

id rather a track day but thats even more involved and costly.

i wish they kept the tracks open 24 hours a day, id go at like 3am and get all the runs i wanted.
      03 katanika

Comment

i took mine to the track 2 weeks ago fo r the 1st time i was much slower then that 14.195 at 87mph or something like that

Comment

Hear in NC it costs $10. Part of the reason I only got three runs was because a Mustang slammed into the wall at 100mph, 40min clean up. But that wreck itself is worth the $10.

Time slip is as follows

reaction .9192
          60ft 2.1159
          330ft 5.6265
          1/8th ET 8.5710
          1/8th mph 85.93
          1/4 ET 13.0716 corrected 12.616
          1/4 mph 105.36 corrected 109.227mph
          2006 GSX600F

Comment

what do you weigh in at? I'd like to hit the track eventualy... like after i know how to ride proficently lol...

drag isn't my thing but there is a lot more to it then most people think.

side note... work on that RT... not that it matters for the time-slips... but head to head makes things much more intresting

Comment

I weigh 250lbs with gear and helmet
              I'm guessing the bike is 475lbs.

725lbs total. The bike dynoed at 75rwhp.
              2006 GSX600F

Comment

kewl ... another "big boy" 6'5 and 300#...

seems like a nice power to weight ratio

Comment

Originally posted by donalson
                  kewl ... another "big boy" 6'5 and 300#...

seems like a nice power to weight ratio
                  6'5, 300. No Ninja 250 for You.
                  2006 GSX600F

Comment

also 6 2 and 250 my bikes a 600 whats yours? what rpm did you leave the light from?

10 to watch the races or 10 to watch/ride here

Comment

lol sat on a friends 250r... go though prob 2/3 of the suspension travel... but it does fit me much more comfy then the 500r...

got a good deal froma friend on a '97 600 katana and going w/ that... would prefer smaller but fit seems to be an issue

Comment

i picked up a friends 250r the other day it was ablast

Comment

5'5" 145lbs, bikes like to run under me
                          I want to take my bike to the dyno and strip
                          Live and Lean.
                          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                          Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
                            5'5" 145lbs, bikes like to run under me
                            I want to take my bike to the dyno and strip
                            I feel like with the mods that I have done to my bike, I can hang with a 145lb rider on a stock 600. At least in a straight line
                            2006 GSX600F

Comment

does anyone know if there are any tracks/drag strips around louisiana? i would love to take mine down the quarter mile and see what i can do. although i have never tried launching it before. do we really have to worry about wheelies with the katana? mine is a '95 600. i can feel it raising up when i gun it, but pretty sure the tire has never been off the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X