Katana of the Month October 2008

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets

Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Old 05-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #21
Any Cal.
Chicken Strip

Finally got to ride a bit on the BT45s I ordered last year.

I put them on myself, using a 2x6 and minivan to break the bead on the old tires, and a recipro saw to cut them off. They were very old and very hard. Took about 2 hrs start to finish to pull wheels off, change tires, and put them back on. Since install cost was 0, total tire cost was around 200 after rebate and shipping.

Got them on the day before it started snowing, and didn't get to ride them 'til this spring. Did roll them once during the winter to help prevent flat spots. They rode rough for about 5 miles on the first ride in spring, and have been great since.

My bike was a basket case, so I haven't pushed it real hard, but tires seem fine so far. It does seem like they are difficult to break in on the sides, when I lay it down in tight corners it seems to creep out a bit right as I lean over the farthest. Of course, I am riding on uneven, heaved pavement with bits of gravel on it, so may not even be the tires fault. Not a heavy lean either, maybe 20*

They are definitely stickier than the hard old tires that came off. So far pleased with the purchase. Haven't ridden them in the rain, but they have done well on crummy roads and frost heaves/cracks, and aren't too terrible on dirt and gravel. They are significantly heavier than the radials, btw. Probably wouldn't put them on something real sporty, but seem about right for my old Kat.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #22
TripleKing
Katrider

Running Shinko 712s. They do fine. They grip well and wear well. Shinko bought tooling from Yokohama. Shinkos are not cheap Chinese knockoffs many message boards make them out to be. They are actually pretty darn good tires, for everyday use.
TripleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #23
dano68
Kat Champion

To each their own I guess. When I bought my Kat, the P.O. had new Kendas on. I hated those tires. Local bike shop talked me into the Shinkos, although better than the Kendas, still did not like them at all. Bought a set of Pirelli angel sport touring and absolutely loved them. I am currently running on PR 4's(figured I would give em a try). A great tire but I still prefer the Pirelli's, great in dry conditions and just as great in wet conditions.
2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

dano68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets