Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

is strictly neccesary change the oil filter evry oil change?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is strictly neccesary change the oil filter evry oil change?

Hi! I've been reading owner's manual and i've seen oil filter must be changed every three oil changes... My question is if this could be too much miles to the oil filter, and the old oil could mixing with the new ones...

What is the better solution for this issue?, Every oil change, filter change?...

Thanks for your attencion!!.

I replace mine every 2 oil changes

Comment

Unless you empty the oil cooler, drop the oil pan, and a few other things, you're never going to get 100% of the oil out anyway. I think it's something like 75% with a normal oil change. The OEM filters are designed to provide optimal protection for 3 changes.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

i change mine every time. Next time you do an oil change, cut open your filter and you'll see why.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I think the Suzuki OEM filters are rated to last 2 oil changes between replacement. The reason being that after a certain point, the filtration elements in the filter get full, or clogged, and no longer effectivly remove the contaiminants from the oil.

If Suzuki says every other oil change, you can probably bet the bank that's the correct replacement interval...

Changing it more often certainly won't hurt anything....
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Its best to chang the filter when you change the oil.
            CHINTO is so right!!!! Look inside one. Plus the oil filter actually gains weight from the contaminants going through. There. If nothing else, thinks its a weight issue!!

Comment

The oil filter is maybe 4.50 from pep boys and maybe 9 at the most oem. It doest take any longer to replace it then 3 minutes tops. The oil in your bike is the only thing preventing it from overheating and seizing. There is no coolant. I dont care what any manual says its a no brainer to replace it every time. Just incase something clogs the filter. And thats comming from me and Im cheap. :Þ
              1996 Katana - Sold
              2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
              2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

Comment

From the Suzuki Factory service manual, not the manual that comes with the bike:

As long as you're using an OEM filter, why change? if you read through some of CyberPoet's site, you'll find a reason to change more frequently (What You Really Need to Know).
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

The specification for the 98+, as shown above, is every 3rd oil change requires a filter change, provided you are using the OEM filter (does not apply to any other brand; contact the manufacturer of any aftermarket filters to get their take). While this is common practice in much of the EU (most of Europe), where filters literally get recycled (and thus adding to the cost of the filters), it's not a common practice in the USA.

I change my filter (OEM) every single time unless I'm on the road doing a road-trip (in which case, I've been known to push it to double the standard oil change interval).

PS - I sell the OEM filters for $8.50 each. At that price, is it worth it to potentially push it?

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use Suzuki OEM filters and change it every 2nd oil change.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I change mine with every oil change with OEM.
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

A few points to consider:

Suzuki wants to support their dealers in any way then can, esp. if it does not cost Suzuki money. Suzi also wants to sell as many parts as they can. Therefore, if Suzi says you can do fine with changing oil filter every 3rd oil change, you can beleive them- otherwise, they would be using every oil change as an opportunity to sell another part. (Hope you can follow my logic there, it's sound but not well put, I am afraid.)

Sure, your filter will have junk in it when you cut it open- that's it's job. Until it get's clogged (which is actually not as big a problem as you might think- oil filters have by-pass valves that open if the filter gets clogged), it is still working. Now, if you cut one open and it has NO junk in it, you've either got a motor that is showing zero wear (powertrain engineers the world over would love to get their hands on it, too) or you've got a problem...

TOTAL capacity of an oil filter is actually very little- stood on it's end, you might be able to get it to hold a half-pint, installed, at least half of that will flow out of it, anyway. So, we are talking, what, 4 ounzes? A literal drop in the bucket.

Perhaps the once-in-three is there to give you some peace of mind if you are traveling and change the oil on the road, like Cyber mentions he sometimes does. There are more important things to worry about.

Auto manufaturers recommend an oil change (often filter, too) every 3000 miles, too, but some folks who know what they are talking about (Klick and Klack, from Car Talk, come to mind- sure, they are funny, but they know their stuff, too) have stated that you can easily go double that. My personal experience is that has some merit- 300,000 miles on my Ford Ranger with oil changes every 6000 miles (and one or two I missed and went 10,000 or so,) with no lubrication-related failure, for instance. Motorcycles may be similar. Savings, you ask? Over 300,000 miles:

300,000 miles / oil change every 3000 miles = 100 oil changes.

300,000 miles / oil change every 6000 miles = 50 oil changes.

50 oil changes * $20 per change = $1000

Nothing to sneeze at.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I think SteveB has said the key of the question. If Suzuki Japan thinks it isn't neccesary change oil filters every time, it must be enough for us...

They aren't in bussines for lose money, i think!!.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                            My personal experience is that has some merit- 300,000 miles on my Ford Ranger with oil changes every 6000 miles (and one or two I missed and went 10,000 or so,) with no lubrication-related failure, for instance. Motorcycles may be similar.
                            While I would tend to agree that for water-cooled engines without the tranny in the oil, the same may hold true, but the duty cycle for a typical air-oil cooled engine with an oil-bathed tranny & clutch is much harsher on the oil in terms of viscosity breakdown (both heat & mechanical shearing). So, while I can easily see pushing the oil filter interval to Suzuki's recommendation as being OK (every third change except for the 600 mile service), I definitely can't readily endorse the idea of pushing the oil change interval upwards by any significant margin for most riders.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i change mine every time and less risk taken therefore whether it hurts the bike or not.

do you only change your underwear every 2nd or 3rd time you take a shower

think about it, not really much different

Comment

Working...
                              X