X

Michelin Tire comparison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin Tire comparison

Being in the market for new tires while the bike is in storage leaves me with time to do some research.

I decided to see what Michelin has to say about their beloved Macadam tires and was surprised to see how Michelin rates the tire.

Many KR members, including myself have complained about the poor handling delivered by the Macadam.

Unless I am reading the charts incorrectly they rate the Macadam, Pilot Road and Pilot Power equal in the case of handling.

I have not used any other Michelin product, so if the Macadam sucks, do their other tires suck too?

R.I.P. Marc

i just installed a set of pilot roads and they seem to be fairly good. when they are hot they bite just fine on corners. p.s if you get the pilot roads when you get them installed the front tire will look like you installed it backwards but if you follow the arrows it is going the right way. have fun

Comment

goldkat, you have to remember that the different michelin tires are targetted at different types of bikes. A macadam would be an utter disaster on a GSXR/R6/R1/etc; it's designed for a sports-touring or UJM bike pumping out 40 lb-ft and under 100 HP at the rear wheel. The other tires listed are designed for bikes that are much more agile, lighter and higher in both torque and HP. Thus, the comparison tables would be for each tire in regards to whatever previous tire Michelin had in that particular segment. Moreover, since it's a Michelin-produced spider-graph, it doesn't relate to anything in the real world in comparison to other brands.

What you ought to be looking at is a good, real-world tire comparo, such as the MCN tire comparison (I couldn't find the link at KR -- it might have been at KP and got lost).

Or you could do what I did, which was actually buy 6 different types of tires, and run each set for 500+ miles, then swap to the next set, and draw your own conclusions (best way to get an accurate opinion on your particular bike, which is one none of the magazines normally use to test tires). Sell the ones you don't want on eBay. My testing is what led me initially to the Metzeler Z4's and later to the Z6's (because the Z4's got replaced and production stopped).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber, I should have imagined that intended use/type of bike would play a part.

I fully intend on getting the Macadam's off my bike. I only have 3000 miles on them but I am convinced that the tires are robbing me pure enjoyment and confident riding.

Finding a staggering difference in prices for the Metzler Z6 from dealer to dealer locally.

Thanks again!
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Yeah, it always pays to shop around

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just bought the Metzler Z6 tires over at RonAyers.com...they're having a special on tires right now...might want to check it out

"When a man is faced with his own death, the impossible seems less of a barrier."

Comment

Yeah, Ive Got 4 bikes with four different brands of tires.

Metzlers on the Kat. I really like them alot.
              Compared to the Stock Dunlop 207s on the ZZR, that take me a while to warm up and my wife can't seem to keep the rear from breaking loose quite often.(might have something to do with her weighing less than 120lbs)
              Pilot Powers work extremely well on the R1 and I have more confidence in them over the Dunlops on a 600, go figure.
              And crappy Bridgestones on the ninja 500...umm they need to be replaced... but the bike still handles very well.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat
                And crappy Bridgestones on the ninja 500...umm they need to be replaced... but the bike still handles very well.
                We ran bridgestones and now run Metzeler on the Ninja and it made a world of difference (granted, the old tires were heat/age rotted even if they still had good tread). The Metzeler 330's/550's that are on there now have been obsoleted though and are replaced with the 880's in Metzeler's line-up. Might want to give them a try (I haven't done a comparo for the Ninja 500 -- I've only tried three tire types/brands on it, and not back-to-back at that).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Metz 880's?
                  Thanks again. I'll hafta do that in a couple months.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by nightmare
                    I just bought the Metzler Z6 tires over at RonAyers.com...they're having a special on tires right now...might want to check it out

http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/tir...ecid=4&type=72
                    Buying online from a US source is a great idea. Only disadvantage is that by the time the currency rate, shipping and any duties are paid I will likely not save a dime. Getting a service shop to install if you did not buy from them is not easy either.
                    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

On the pilot's i must say that i am impressed with them, they grab everything (goodthing 99% of the time), in the summer when i go up my driveway by the time i get to the road (not real long, but not too short either) they already will grab the gravel on my blacktop and then will grab more when i roll out of the gutter, i can hear it ping off, they were expensive tires, they are on a GIXXER. I also must sayon my others (i have 3 bikes), two that i ride exensively, my kat has Dunlop, i believe the D 205's but im not sure, good tire for the kat, for what it is, not a real slick looking tire, but its ok, great life, thus the touring name, but not as sticky, i use it for long distance riding anyway. i have run avons on it and for where i live (freezing in the winter)they were great when it was my only bike and i wanted to ride in february. I dont know if i will be stoned for saying this but i believe some of the best tires are bridgestone battalax tires, the ultra high performance, i run them on my CBR and i swear by them, i guess it is all i have ever run, but i am really happy, so why change? I would run the pilots if you dont much mind changing out more often, they are sticky so they dont last long.

Comment

Working...
                      X