X

Polishing RF900 Swingarm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing RF900 Swingarm

I know that RF900 swingarms are aluminum but are they the right grade to be able to be polished? Got my swingarm in waiting on my other parts so I start my swap. It's like waiting on Christmas, I can't wait.

Any aluminum can be polished, but as soon as fresh aluminum is exposed to air, it will start to oxidize. The best solutions would probably be to leave it as-is, or to locate a powdercoater and ask for sandblasting + a clear powdercoat, or to get it plated (nickel-chrome) at a plater's.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If thats true then how do people keep polished frames from oxidizing? My frame never had that problem on my ninja and neither did the swingarm, unless you neglect cleaning it for awhile
      Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKatnWV
        If thats true then how do people keep polished frames from oxidizing? My frame never had that problem on my ninja and neither did the swingarm, unless you neglect cleaning it for awhile
        Most polishing compounds intended for aluminum (or for a variety of metals including aluminum) contain some form of wax or plastic to seal the metal in their mix. For example, I use BlueMagic to polish the bare metals on my Kat (control levers, fork tubes, etc), and it has this. But even if I polish today, if I polish tomorrow again, there will be some oxidation on the rag to show that it did happen.

KNOW THIS: Anodizing is just a way of creating that same oxidation at much faster rate, and in a variety of colors.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

But isn't oxidation on steel or iron called "rust"??? So if you anodize steel or iron it is just rust in different colors???

Also I heard, I have not verified it, but when you have an aluminum part anodized they actually polish it up first that way it will be shiney under the anodizing color?? I don't know if it's true or not...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
            But isn't oxidation on steel or iron called "rust"??? So if you anodize steel or iron it is just rust in different colors???
            Yes, oxidized iron is called rust. You don't anodize steel or iron, only aluminum normally. Unlike traditional rusted iron/steel (which is weaker than the metal it was before), the thin anodized aluminum layer on the surface is significantly stronger than the bare aluminum underneath, so there is a practical side to anodizing as well.
            When you see white spots on aluminum window frames, etc., that's not anodizing, but minerals (such as calcium or lime) that got caught in the anodized layer. Anodized aluminum is normally a dark charcoal gray or black -- other colors come as a result of adding specific chemicals/minerals to the process.

Originally posted by Jax
            Also I heard, I have not verified it, but when you have an aluminum part anodized they actually polish it up first that way it will be shiney under the anodizing color?? I don't know if it's true or not...
            No clue on that. As far as I know, they simply dip it in acids to clean the part, and then anodize it. Plated parts (such as chrome plating) on the other hand, does require that the part be polished up before hand, otherwise every defect will show through the plating.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Jax

There are several prepmethods for anodizing, the aluminium can be chemically treated, polished, matted or even sandblasted, depending on the wanted results.
              Second step is accelerating oxidation using acid.
              Once a piece off aluminium is prepared you've got a open thin hardened layer off "rust" appropriate to bring in some other metal, anorganic or even organic substance depending on the targetted result and color (using electrolytical adhesion)
              After that the layer is sealed.

Comment

Working...
              X