X

starter issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter issues

I have searched and haven't seen quite this problem show up. I have a 93 katana 1100. Generally it starts fine from cold, but when i have ridden a few miles, then turn it off, when i go to restart it it just whines from the starter. If i keep milking the starter it will eventually kick over and go just fine from there. I took the starter out and had it tested, and was told it is good. I have charged my battery, checked all the gears the starter turns and they seem to spin just fine. Put new spark plugs in since i had it torn apart. Anyone have any theories?

put a volt meter on the battery take readings while its happening
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Sounds like the starter clutch is going

Sent from my phone

Comment

Originally posted by Frozt View Post
        Sounds like the starter clutch is going
        If the batt is fine then i would say starter clutch is sticking
        I'm outa here

Comment

Could also be an intermittent electrical issue such as fualty ground for the starter, or something else leaching power to prevent the starter from getting full battey power.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There is a ring in the starter,check to make sure it is bone dry,if it has oil on it clean it off as it will just spin if its got oil on it.I had the same trouble a long time ago,since I dried it off its been perfect.
            Last edited by albion2; 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I had a mechanic friend suggest a bad ground cable so we are going to check that out soon. If that isn't it, will i have to take the starter apart to find this ring that might have oil on it? Anf will the manual i have downloaded from this site have any info about the starter clutch? I am a novice mechanic at best trying to learn a few things as i go, so bear with me as i ask questions in ignorance please!

Comment

Well, after removing the ground cable and finding it was good, i had a friend help me pull the starter clutch. We examined it and it seemed to be fully functional, so we re installed it. As i was putting the ground cable back in place i examined the bolt that connects it to the engine, and it was very corroded. Cleaned it thoroughly with a wire brush and now the bike starts every time like it should! At least i learned a few things in the process.

Comment

I'm So pleased it didnt cost you much other than time!
                  I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by ManQu View Post
                    I'm So pleased it didnt cost you much other than time!
                    As was I! And, if gave me an excuse to buy a trickle charger so my wife wouldn't be mad. I have to fix a bad valve stem in my front tire, then it looks like we should have some nice weather here tomorrow so i might even get to ride!

Comment

Originally posted by namelessfaceworship View Post
                      Well, after removing the ground cable and finding it was good, i had a friend help me pull the starter clutch. We examined it and it seemed to be fully functional, so we re installed it. As i was putting the ground cable back in place i examined the bolt that connects it to the engine, and it was very corroded. Cleaned it thoroughly with a wire brush and now the bike starts every time like it should! At least i learned a few things in the process.
                      I'm having a very similar problem because my battery is brand new (just bought and charged yesterday). And I know for a fact everything was working fine about a week ago. This whining sound is new. Where is the ground cable connection located?

Comment

Working...
                      X