X

No Spark. Need some help please!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark. Need some help please!

Hey I am new to this forum and this is my first post because I just bought a 1997 Katana 750. I had the bike running like a champ and was almost ready to go test drive it when one night my own stupid mistake I set the gas tank on the back of the bike and the fuel sending ground wire shorted to the pos. terminal on the battery and it melted and it also traveled back to the sidestand diode and melted that. Anyways I now have no spark and I have already checked all of the fuses and they are good. I also checked the power and ground at the coils and they are both good. I hooked another coil I had laying around that was off a car to the ground wire and grounded the coil to the frame and it fired up. So it makes me wonder if the coils just got fried and if I replace them hopefully that will fix it.

That right there is pretty conclusive if you used a different coil and it worked. One thing to check would be for carbon arcing on the ground. If there are arc marks that could be impeding the ground.

Comment

Okay sounds good. Thanks

It's just weird to me because I didnt actually swap the coil I just basically jumped the ground through the other coil and the coil on the bike actually fired.

Comment

Originally posted by kweb112 View Post
        Okay sounds good. Thanks

It's just weird to me because I didnt actually swap the coil I just basically jumped the ground through the other coil and the coil on the bike actually fired.
        I'm not following that exactly but it sounds like you have a bad ground wire? Do you have continuity between the coil ground and a chassis ground?

Comment

Okay maybe the chassis ground is bad. Do you know where the chassis ground would be located?

Comment

I"m still trying to figure out why you had the tank on the back of the bike and the ignition set to ON. How else could you have fried the wiring? Just wondering.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              I"m still trying to figure out why you had the tank on the back of the bike and the ignition set to ON. How else could you have fried the wiring? Just wondering.
              Ignition wasnt turned on it fried because the ground wire to the sending unit of the tank shorted out to the positive terminal of the battery. Like I already said it was a dumb mistake **** happens.

Comment

Working...
              X