Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Making it run right at the drag strip...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making it run right at the drag strip...

I'm very satisfied with how my air cooled motor runs, however the one time per year I'm at the drag strip, it bogs down by the time I get up to the line. This happens because I let it idle for 5-10 mins while waiting in line so the engine stays warm. I've tried not letting the motor sit for when I go to the line, but of course then I have a cold engine. This motor takes about 5-10 mins to warm up from cold.

About 200' down the drag strip, I get my power back and it's back to normal.

I'm happy with the way it runs (mid and top), and I'm happy with how it idles. Is there a way to have a crisp running motor when I get to the line?

smaller pilot jets is the only thing that comes to mind

it shouldnt get that cold quickly. When I went to the track with my stang I used to push it though the lanes to keep it cool.

What kinda times do you get?

Comment

Are you sure it is cold maybe its running really hot from sitting at idle and then after the 1st 200 of air ramming into the oil cooler and the engine turning high rpm circulating the oil quickly it gets to a cooler/normal operating temp. Even if it is turned off it can actually get hotter because the oil is sitting and not running through the cooler. Same thing with a car a lot of guys who drag keep their cars running all fans on and heat blasting and that cools them off quicker than turning the engine off or do it the easy way and get an electric water pump so you can keep the fans on and circulate the coolant. If it is running too hot maybe mounting fan behind the oil cooler would make a difference.
      "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

What kinda times do you get?
        It was last year and haven’t been able to get consistent runs

it shouldnt get that cold quickly
        I'm waiting sometimes about 30mins

Are you sure it is cold maybe its running really hot from sitting at idle and then after the 1st 200 of air ramming into the oil cooler and the engine turning high rpm circulating the oil quickly it gets to a cooler/normal operating temp.
        During staging, I turn the engine off when it comes up to running temp. As far as cooling the engine while running down the strip, I didn’t think the motor would be able to cool off in 3 or 4 seconds...

Even if it is turned off it can actually get hotter because the oil is sitting and not running through the cooler
        I didn’t know a hot engine can get hotter by just sitting

If it is running too hot maybe mounting fan behind the oil cooler would make a difference.
        It could, I’m not adamite of keeping it idling while waiting though. The only reason I have been letting it idle is to warm the engine

Comment

Are you sure your plugs aren't fouling?

Idling for 20-30 minutes will most certainly foul the plugs... then when you run WOT down the strip, it blows the fouling out.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I didn’t know a hot engine can get hotter by just sitting
            May not get hotter but doesn't really cool off at all but with 30 mins time it should. Think about it though you can raise the temp of water easier in a pot that has been heated red hot and then taken off a stove then in a pot on the stove that you keep throwing cooler water in (the oil passing through the cooler)

I do admit that I doubt the bike cools off much when you 1st start out just throwing ideas out there oh well.
            "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

Originally posted by steves
              Are you sure your plugs aren't fouling?

Idling for 20-30 minutes will most certainly foul the plugs... then when you run WOT down the strip, it blows the fouling out.
              It sits for 30 mins, but is off for the first 20mins or so. It takes about 5 to 10 mins to warm the engine up. I start it, when it reaches running temp, I shut it down if I'm not heading to the line just yet. I was thinking the fuel to air ratio was off at idle building up carbon in the cylinder. Maybe it is fouling the plugs like you say. Let me throw in one more thing: just before I get to the line, I rev the engine off and on for 10-20 seconds, but it doesn’t help for when I take off from the line. Once the engine is under load going down the strip, the engine is crisp again in just 3 to 4 seconds.

Comment

I have a couple suggestions:

(A) Ride the bike for 10-15 minutes (are you trailering it there? Then ride it around the area for 15 minutes after you arrive).
                (B) Then shut down, get in line and leave it shut off.
                (C) When you get down to 2nd in line (i.e. - next to stage), start her back up.
                (D) Go run it.
                Doing the above should give you consistent times.

Now for the other suggestion: get a temp gauge for the oil! Seriously. I sell a 400 degree F open-cockpit all-weather sollution for your bike, although you'll need a mounting cup to install the gauge on your model unless you have a custom-dash (mounted to the inside of the windshield in a gauge cup is ideal for the 1100's). That way you can control the oil temp and get perfect consistency, at least in that aspect.

Which oil are you running?

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X