X

WTF? Blinker fuse keeps blowing, but the short is someplace in twlight zone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF? Blinker fuse keeps blowing, but the short is someplace in twlight zone

K, this has me scratching my head for 12 hours now (starting to get a bald spot as a result).

A few weeks ago, throwing a right blinker on started blowing my blinker fuse.

What's weird is that, now that I removed the battery, what I thunk was a blinker relay, and the bulbs, I get a continuity across the contacts in the fusebox (see the clip I just posted on YouTube). Not only that, but I get a "blinking" continuity.

First off, I should not be getting continuity there at all with everything taken out - if there was continuity, that means the fuse is completely bypassed with a short, so it should not be blowing the fuse (instead, the battery should be on fire, lol).

Second, why the heck is it "blinking" that way?

And finally, where the heck is the relay for the blinkers?

I thunk it was the little box to the left of the fuses, but as you can see it in the vid, I took that sucka out.

I'm now in the process of removing the miles of tape that make up the wiring harness, hoping to trace the problem, but a little bit of guidance could save me hours of work

If it's a post, the post have a multifunction relay/flasher. Pre uses a standard flasher. You need to be checking for continuity for + to - in the circuit.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thx 92xjunker

I thunk the flasher relay is in the assembly immediately left of the fuses, but I ripped that out and I still get the same thing. Where is the flasher relay located on the bike? This is a 2002 Katana 750
      Last edited by flyboy; 04-26-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

That's the one, side stand diode plus flasher all in one assembly. Check your hand switch also
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I tink I solved the issue, but I'm just as stumped as before.

After ripping it all out and the rhytmic continuity kept on persisting, I thought to myself "what else causes pulsing on the bike" and it hit me - I have an inline headlight modulator I installed years ago.

Ripped that one out, and no more continuity across the fuse plug (which, has NOTHING to do with the headlights as it's on a completely different circuit, so I'm still WTF)

I put the fuse back in, removed the bulbs, put the tester to the battery leads and turned the signal on - no short. Did the same on the other side of the relay, for each light individually - still no short.

So my guess it was a headlight modulator all along, but the big question is how? Not only that, but if the headlight mod cause continuity across the fuse contacts, that wouldn't have killed the fuse. Power travels down the path of least resistance, so it would have taken the path of the short, not he path of the fuse.

Well, I'll ride the bike for a few weeks, and if I don't get another short, I'll just order a new modulator and be done with it.

I'd sure as heck like to understand how is that possible though...

Comment

Working...
          X