X

whats the quickest way to change bulbs on a pre kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the quickest way to change bulbs on a pre kat

mmm so looking to replace a couple of bulbs 1 in the rev counter and the fuel guage .
    looks like i will be removing the fairings again but not so sure the quickest way to replace the bulbs
    not a lot of info in the suzuki manual
    is it rubber bungs that hold the bulbs to pull out or do i have to strip the
    instrument panel
    thanks in advance for the help

Yes, you'll need to pull the plastics, and take the clocks out of the bird cage.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Pull the windshield, you can then reach in and access all bulbs in the gauges.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I could have sworn you had to pull the gauges out to replace those bulbs
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          I could have sworn you had to pull the gauges out to replace those bulbs

Nope, they are just rubber boots that stick into the back of the gauges. Pull the boot, swap the bulb, plug the boot back into the back.

There is a decent amount of access directly under the windshield on the pre.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

A couple of the bulbs you may have to work to get to , though . I JUST did some , but I had the headlight out and most of the bike apart .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              A couple of the bulbs you may have to work to get to , though . I JUST did some , but I had the headlight out and most of the bike apart .
              i have done the headlight before swapped it for a philips 100% brighter thingy extreme vision bulb amazing diffrence to oem H4

once again exellent advice from kreylyn

Comment

Just for clarification...

The speedo, tack, and fuel gauges use 1 light bulb, all located at the "top" on the back side, and really easily accesable when the windshield is removed.

The center one is pulled out with the bulb removed, either side is plugged into the gauges. This is a 600, but the 750 is pretty much the same way.

Same setup for the panel lights at the bottom too, only those you have to reach around under the fairgins on the front. They are just long enough when you pull them out you can see the tip of them/bulbs under the gauges enough to swap them... if your hands aren't overly large.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

No , there are 2 bulbs in the speedo & tach gauges . PRETTY sure . I just replaced a few . Getting to a couple of them was nigh on impossible with the headlight in place . But I already had pretty much my whole front-end apart anyway , so no biggie .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    No , there are 2 bulbs in the speedo & tach gauges . PRETTY sure . I just replaced a few . Getting to a couple of them was nigh on impossible with the headlight in place . But I already had pretty much my whole front-end apart anyway , so no biggie .

Your right... the 750 is different and uses 2 on the 2 larger gauges. The 600 doesn't...

Odd...

Used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-KATAN...-/400398687374 to check out close up pics of where they are located for the 750.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Your right... the 750 is different and uses 2 on the 2 larger gauges. The 600 doesn't...

Odd...

Used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-KATAN...-/400398687374 to check out close up pics of where they are located for the 750.

Krey

thanks krey i have the suzuki ''blue'' service manual for gsx750f
                      here are the bulbs for replacement

park or position light 4
                      tail brake light 5/21 exept e-03, 28 and 33
                      turn signal light 21
                      speedometer light 1.7 x 2 pcs
                      tachometer light 1.7 x 2 pcs
                      turn signal light 3.4 x 2 pcs
                      high beam indicator light 1.7
                      neutral indicator light 3
                      oil pressure light 1.7
                      fuel meter light 1.7
                      licence light 12v5w

and yes the speedo side and fuel bulb are easy to swap with the screen off but i need to swap the tacho bulbs grrrrr
                      not a easy task

Comment

Hey guys, a total noob here. Have had my pre 600 for two weeks now. Went riding at night for first time yesterday and learned that I have no lighting on my gauges. I'm hoping that it's the bulbs. Can anyone tell me what type of bulb I need to buy for the gauges, sounds like I only need to buy one.

On a separate note, my brake light works but tail light is not on. From reading the forum, sounds like I may also need to replace the bulb there too. Any help on what type of bulb for the tail light.

By the way, love this forum. Has been lots of help these first two weeks. Thanks.

Comment

Not sure about the instrument cluster bulb, but the tail light should be 1152 Bulb

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I want to say 714, you'll find them at the auto parts store. It's the smallest bulb most carry.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the quick response, such a big help.

Now I'm going to search the forums for how to access the bulbs in the tail light. I assume I'm going to have to remove rear fairings and seats.

Comment

Working...
                              X