X

Crazy drivers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nero View Post
    One thing I can guarantee: Virtually no one is going to be out to kill you if you take your racing to the track and ride casually and safely on public roads, and follow the law. -Risk management.
    I'm sorry, but based on personal experience, this is NOT true. In close to three years owning my only bike, I've had three cases of someone intentionally trying to run me over with no provocation.

1. In first few months of riding, I was out on some country roads. I'd be surprised if I was even going the speed limit, due to having never been on the roads before, and being so new to riding. I was following the curve in the road to the left when a truck crested the hill coming towards me. When the truck was near me, they jerked the wheel to come at me so hard they ran off the road on my side. I rode faster than I had yet just to get away before they got back on the road. Don't know why it happened. Personally, I don't care if they were upset by other motorcyclists on the road that day.

2. On a road merging from two lanes in my direction down to 1. I took my turn with the alternating traffic and had merged, not cutting anyone off. The BMW behind me, after merging, decided they wanted to be where I was. They crossed the double yellow line at that point into oncoming traffic, accelerated till they were beside me, and then just tried to push me off the road, with my girlfriend on the back. I had not been interacting with them in any other fashion in that traffic. Again, I don't care why they tried to run me over, or what their motivation was.

3. At a red light, there was a car stopped in the right lane when I arrived at the intersection in the left lane. No interaction between me and the cager at all. I noticed that they started inching forwards more and more, till they were in the middle of the intersection with the light still red. I figured there were perturbed about something, so when the light turned green, I hesitated. They jerked the wheel to the right and immediately took the place where I would've been if I'd have taken off when the light turned green. It was almost like they had the wheel at full lock to the left, and when the light turned green they just floored it, trying to hit me if I moved. I then passed them on the right and took off because again, I didn't care what their motivation was. Maybe they were ****ed at other bikers. Maybe they hoped to knock me down, and then have someone else in the car steel the bike, or rob me.

Now, I agree with taking it to the track. I agree that people that live with the retard squids doing road racing where they live might be upset. I get upset with those riders around here. But the driver of the truck in that video is 100% wrong, and 100% at fault for his actions and reactions.

I like to live by the motto of "Don't poke the crazy", but I'm also not going to just let people run me over so I can be the bigger person and let the idiots go unhindered.

Comment

Settle down. No one here has blamed the 'victim' here.
      ....but honestly, when you ride that fast on roads with regular drivers, you're bound to attract attention from a nut sooner or later. I'm not suggesting they deserved anything. I'm simply saying this is the kind of sh** that can happen when you turn farm roads where cagers roam into a two-wheel race circuit.
      Why suuuure they were going the speed limit all the way. That's why the guy's truck was straining to stay on the road to catch the guy. And they didn't try to pass the guy on a yellow line either. I'm also suuuuure all those country curves near rural residential homes maintain 55-65 as their speed limits anyway. -Because no Kentucky farmer on a tractor would ever think of pulling out on to a road past a blind curve. Why on Earth would they not have a reason to claim otherwise while posting this video? hmmmmm

....But you can't honestly deny they pulled some maneuvers that escallated the incident further than it should have gone. As motorcyclists, it is up to us to keep a cool head when a cager goes off the deep end because we are risking more.
      Everything you said was very valid, and given the circumstances, I'm not sure I would have done differently, but with one difference; I wouldn't turn a twisty farm road full of rednecks into my own personal race track in the first place. Two things I noticed on the video that perhaps you did not; lots of bikes zipping by and an angry redneck griping about 'crotch rockets' doing their thing. I am NOT defending the redneck and can only hope he's now in jail for attempted murder or wreckless driving, bare minimum, but I did say and do believe you can do things to increase your risks of these kinds of run-ins. Can we look at this holistically and think maybe that nutcase was set-off by previous rider actions on those same roads? I am NOT DEFENDING the redneck, but I think there may be more to this story.

....One thing I can guarantee: Virtually no one is going to be out to kill you if you take your racing to the track and ride casually and safely on public roads, and follow the law. -Risk management.

Your first quoted comment does not follow your other responses...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
        I'm sorry, but based on personal experience, this is NOT true. In close to three years owning my only bike, I've had three cases of someone intentionally trying to run me over with no provocation....
        You're certainly not the only one. I've had two cagers deliberately try to kill me.

First was going uphill over Snoqualmie Pass, in Washington. I was following a truck, in no hurry while I enjoyed the scenery when a convertible started to pass on the left. When they got even with me they jerked the car to the right and almost hit me. The two guys in the car were both staring right at me and laughing. I jammed on the brakes and got behind them. They hit their brakes hard so I went around them on the left, putting the truck between us. I was on an Interceptor so it wasn't too hard to leave them way behind.

Second time someone tried to kill me was down in Houston. I went to pass a truck that was doing 30 in a 35. He jerked it left to cut me off and when I jammed on the brakes he locked his up. I went right and clipped the right corner of his bumper with my fork leg. I went into the ditch and dropped it in the mud. He stopped and when I came out of the ditch with my helmet in my hand he came out of the truck with a revolver in his hand. Just to make the day a little more surrealistic, everything settled right out when we both realized that we knew each other. We had gone to HS together. He lived around the corner and was ****ed about bikers racing through the neighborhood, scaring his kid. We ended up having a beer together while we straightened out my bike and chatted about old times.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Your first quoted comment does not follow your other responses...

Krey
          If you’re going to take statements out of context, you could have also read these li'l ditties:
          The truck driver was being a total d***, but honestly, when you ride that fast on roads with regular drivers, you're bound to attract attention from a nut sooner or later. I'm not suggesting they deserved anything. I'm simply saying this is the kind of sh** that can happen when you turn farm roads where cagers roam into a two-wheel race circuit.
          However, personally, I would have double-teamed him before he had a chance to get to that tire iron and put him in the hospital for a month.
          Originally Posted by LAsunbird86
          Regardless of how you pass a pick up truck...when they ATTEMPT TO KILL you with their truck...they are in the wrong.

You are correct indeed, but I'd rather be alive than be right.

Perhaps you can go back and read everything I said. Stating you can do things that can assist to precipitate a problem and simply blaming them are two separate things. Apparently, you cannot see there are certain things you can do to elevate risks. Your emotional plea to compare two riders horsing around on a country road to a drunk girl is a formal fallacy of inductive reasoning. I simply believe there may be more to this story. It seems that Loudnlow7484, who argued some of the same points you did, can see other sides to this incident, yet you cannot, so I believe, instead of wasting more of both of our time, let’s just revert back to our earlier agreement and move on:

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Kreylyn
          I just think your flat out wrong.

Krey

Same here from me to you. Oh well, life goes on.

Peace, bro.
          Last edited by Nero; 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
            I'm sorry, but based on personal experience, this is NOT true.
            Hence the word 'virtually.' After 27 years of riding (including 12 in Washington D.C., no less), I've never had anyone try to intentionally kill me. I'm not doubting the veracity of your position, I'm simply saying that if that is true, you need to find new territory in which to ride. Perhaps I've just been lucky.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

...Perhaps I've just been lucky.
              I'd go with that.

Ride like they can't see you. If they can see you they're out to get you.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Just because you're paranoid doesn't not mean they're not out to kill you.
                =USAF= Retired

Comment

Hence the word 'virtually.' After 27 years of riding (including 12 in Washington D.C., no less), I've never had anyone try to intentionally kill me. I'm not doubting the veracity of your position, I'm simply saying that if that is true, you need to find new territory in which to ride. Perhaps I've just been lucky.
                  That could be. I will also agree that you can modify the chances in your favor by riding sensibly, and not ****ing people off by acting like you're on a track. But there is no guarantee, and there are stupid people out there.

Also while driving my car, not driving fast or cutting anyone off, I apparently really ****ed off someone in an SUV. They pulled up in the right turn lane, where they could've just turned. Instead they stopped, and made a big show of "rolling" their window down (by pressing a button, but still acting like they were mad and putting forth great effort), and then saying "Do you always drive with your head up your ***?" So I happily responded "I'm sorry sir, but I didn't even know that was possible. Thank you for providing an example! ", which is when my light turned green, and I drove off.

Comment

Now, I have had people come after me while I was in a four-wheeld vehicle. Aggressive driving is too common here. I think it's just an amplification or manifestation of something else going on in their lives. Seems like some people, mostly decent people, will just lose it, and it always seems as if they find out the guys wife just left him or his mom just died. It always helps me to just think most people are naturally decent (The old 'Will Rogers theory'), and when they're behind the wheel, they aren't really looking at other people's actions objectively. Still, I get pizzed off when someone goes out of their way to be a d*** on the road.
                    =USAF= Retired

Comment

...I think it's just an amplification or manifestation of something else going on in their lives...
                      Too many rats in the cage. Get away from DC!

(...and big cities in general.)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Agreed. Plan in-place...
                        =USAF= Retired

Comment

Working...
                        X