X

Shoud I buy this 2006 Katana 600F???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoud I buy this 2006 Katana 600F???

I'm brand new to this group. I've come across a 2006 Katana 600F for sale. It has ~8k miles. The guy selling the bike apparently lost his liscense, and can use some money to pay bills. I have only spoken to the seller over the phone, but he told me the bike has a Yoshimura exhaust other than that it's stock. Apparently the basics like tires, chain sprockets fork seals etc are good, but I've not seen the bike for myself. The bike was knocked over, so it has some mnor scratahes. The bike is currently not running, since it has sat most of this year. He put a new battery in recently to try and get the bike started, but he had no luck.

The seller is willling to take $2,200 for the bike. I've owned a Yamaha Radian 600 for a number of years, but I'm no mechanic. This seems like a great deal. I'm hoping the carburaters don't need cleaing.

I appreciate any advice you Kat owners can provide me on whether or not I should purchase this bike, and do any of you have any tips on how I can try to get this bike started.

Thanks!

Sounds like a good deal to me, assuming everything he says is true about the condition of the bike. Im hoping your not gonna buy it untill you have looked at the bike to confirm the bikes condition matches his description.
    Yes it would be worth it, I bought my 02 in decend condition with 14k miles for $2200.

Comment

Try offering 2k even for it. I bought my 2000 Kat for 1750$, and it was in good condition with 10k miles on it. It also has a d&d exhaust, jet kit, new air filter, brand new tires, zero gravity windscreen, custom bar ends, and more. That's a lot of aftermarket stuff and I paid less than you might. Yes, it is 6 years newer, but still. I think it's a good deal, but you might be able to get away with a few hundred less.

BTW, even if he says it's done, clean the carbs anyway. It'll do a world of good.
      - Remember -
      Ride wherever the road takes you and
      never stop until every inch of pavement
      has tasted your rubber.

Comment

An 2006 with 8k is barely broken in. Assuming it hasn't been beaten it sounds like an awesome deal. Do some basic troubleshooting and see if you can't get it to start first.

Comment

Sounds like a good one to me.

Comment

1500, you don't know why it's not running...

Could be the battery, could be a blown engine...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              1500, you don't know why it's not running...

Could be the battery, could be a blown engine...

Comment

>>>> -eas -the guy who bought my 2002 kat looked at mine then that one in hollywood - west l.a. ,and came right back to mine and said mine was mint compared to that one ..he said it was scracthed up and had a bad timing chain noise -real bad - clunk -clunk clunk so watch out for that one ...he said he wont have it for $1500 eithier ..its in bad shape ...heads up

Comment

Sounds good, and welcome to KR!
                  "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

welcome
                    sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

Welcome to KR. How about posting a pic or two of that Radian. Always liked that bike, and almost bought one for my wife last spring.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the feeback. I would never risk cleaing the carbs myself. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a bike shop do it?

Thanks Again!

Comment

Originally posted by EAS View Post
                          Thanks for all the feeback. I would never risk cleaing the carbs myself. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a bike shop do it?

Thanks Again!

Depends on the shop, but it aint cheap. Where I used to work, we'd usually charge 1 hour per carbX4 carbsX$90 per hour=$360 + all the BS fees and taxes and stuff.

Honestly, if you need to have the shop do the work for you, you'll be WAY better off spending an extra few hundred to buy a bike that's in good shape and runs. A mint low milage Kat can be had for less than $3k....so don't spend more than $2k on one that has mystery problems and cosmetic damage.

Comment

$2200 for a bike that doesn't run...

I would pay $2200 if it ran and didn't have many major issues. The carbs probably need to be cleaned after having the gas sit in them and gum up for a year. It will probably be a bit of a project getting it up and running. At least another couple hundred dollars... I would offer $1800 and possibly go up to $2000 depending on how it looked.
                            Nuff said.

Comment

I'd give him $1700 tops. Nothing over 2k for sure. It's only cost about $120 for carb cleaning where I'm at.
                              sigpic
                              Navy Vet
                              1998 B12
                              00 GSX 600F(sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X