X

Rivet or Clip?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivet or Clip?

I have both the rivet and clip type master links for the chain I'm about to install. I have the horrible fright chain breaker tool. I've read on here that you can use that to rivet the new link? How would you do that? This would be my first time riveting a chain.

Also is the clip type really that bad over the rivet?

Rivet!!! Trash those clip links, buy the tool and extra links.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

RIVIT PLEASE put the RIVIT link in......watch the vid from youtube if you never put one in before

Complete removal and installation of rivet style master link on a motorcycle chain using an RK Excel universal chain tool.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Another one for rivet links only!
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Rivet it is then! Thanks for all the responses. I probably will throw the clip away.

Comment

I wouldnt actually throw the clip away. If you don't have a chain tool, the clip link will get you to the shop so all they have to do is swap out the link for the rivet style. Save yourself a couple bucks. I keep clip style links laying around in the garage just in case you or a friend gets in a pinch.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Good idea, keep it in the garage or on the bike for emergencies.

Comment

If you do proper chain maintenance, you'd know when the chain needed replacing. Therefore no chain emergencies would happen..
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Rivet prefered.

Clip can fling off. High speed high RPM rotations put enough centrifugal force on the clip on that the retainer has been known to go missing... and then... well, you're in a situation then.

Most times this is because the clip was installed with the wrong orientation, but it's still a possible situation I'd just prefer avoid.

Low RPM uses the clip is fine. Most off road would fit the bill on that.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'll have to order another rivet master link. I screwed it up. I put the clip on and I'm just taking it to the shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X