X

Petcock rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock rebuild

First off, thanks SpecialK for the rebuild kit. Second I started to do the rebuild and when I took the knob and shaft out of the petcock the small tapered white plastic "thing" fell out and I do not know the correct way to install it. Also does it have to be properly postitioned on the metal spring(don't know a better way to desribe this piece) on the inside of the petcock. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Josh

Go to www.ronayers.com and pull up the fiche file for your year and model. It ought to show you the exploded parts diagram, so you can figure out how to put it back together.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had a similar problem . Just take a good , hard look at it and you'll figure out how exactly it works . Then put it back together . All I did .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks guys, after playing with it I finally figured it out. Sometimes the little things like that screw you up the most.

Comment

Yup . I rebuilt one not too long ago . Put EVERYTHING back together like it was assembled in the old one , and it spit gas everywhere . Took it apart again , took a good long look at it , and it turned out the last person to take it apart put something in BACKWARDS . So after some thought , I put it back together again , and whaddya know , it worked just fine .

Comment

Any hints on holding the o-ring on while screwing the petcock back down?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well , um , push it into place while putting the body back on . I remember it didn't wanna stay , but wasn't hard to get it to work .

Comment

......vaseline...................

Seriously
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?

Comment

I got it, and it hasn't leaked after two days, so I musta done something right.

Thanks for the kit K!
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

can someone post up some pics of a dissasymbled petcock, and basic reassembly instructions? It seems my recently aquired bike has been hacked and possibly not all there. I really just need the diaphram side. right now fuel flows no matter what positiion the petcock is in.

Comment

I don't have any pics, but a good parts diagram might help you. Check RonAyers.com or BikeBandit.com for them.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sounds like it might be together backwards? Fuel flows freely?

It's not a very comlicated piece of equipment. The diaphram should bascially be flat on the disassembled petcock unless it's in the "PRIME" position which will push it out.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

so its the knob that pushes it out? What is the vacume for then? In my shop manual it looks like there is a "spacer" type thing in there. I think i'm missing it? I'm kinda wondering if anything else is missing from this.

Comment

I must have assembled mine Backwards, because after the rebuild the Res position is Pri and the Pri is in the RES position.. But it works so I just don't mess with it..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

As you spin the knob , theres a "ramp" in it that will push the metal pin against the diaphram opening it up . If you put that together wrong , it'll basically be pushing the diaphram open always . Just take a close look at it and you'll see how it works . Took me about a half hour of studying it to see myself how exactly it works .

Comment

Working...
                              X