X

My New Project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Project

I just got this from a friend for $500. Garaged Kept and runs like new. Didn't even know what it was until I looked the VIN up. I also have the original picture taken by the original owner. This bike is sweet and I can't wait to fix it up. I only have one question for all the other Kat owners out there.

I have side fairings that go to my bike that I don't see on any other bike out there. I'm not sure if they are after market or were made by the previous owner. (original owner and only owner died years ago). I don't know if anyone else has side Fairings. So I was wondering if anyone else does. I'll post some pics when I put it all together.

Plans:

strip down and clean entire frame
    dip engine for outer cleaning (engine was drained and garage kept)
    replace engine seals
    powder coat frame to original color
    strip gas tank, fenders, fairings
    Paint original colors except for Suzuki name
    Replace Headlight with HID
    Replace turn signals with LED
    Replace gauges with Digital gauges in original faceplate

Can't wait until this bike is finished and I get to ride it.
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard.

Post a pic or two of the side fairings. I don't own a vintage Katana, but I've seen enough of them to think whatever side fairings you got must have been custom made.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Comment

Welcome and good luck. Post some pixs of fairings
      Ride like it's your last ride
      sigpic

Comment

Side fairings

Hi,

I believe you have a set of fiberglass aftermarket full fairings that were offered in the eighties by one maybe two different manufacturers.

Very rare. Only seen one set in person myself.
        Gammas and Katanas

Comment

side fairings

Yes...those are exactly the fairings I have. Sweet!
          When I first pulled them out of the box I thought that they went to a different bike because everywhere I looked I only find this bike without them. Thanks for the pic and update.

Comment

Welcometo KR. That's one good deal you got. Gibbs I was going to post the same thing...
            Attached Files
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Wow! Those fairings look really good on the old Kats.
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

Yeah...now seeing them on the bike really makes me want to have them on mine. I kept seeing every bike without them and just wanted to make it original. I'll send more pics as I move along. Thanks!

Comment

Just take care with those side fairings. Remember the bike is air cooled and the fairing might affect the air flow over the engine especially in traffic perhaps with disastrous results. There are a lot of Katanas here in South Africa and I have not seen any with side fairings. Might have something to do with the warm weather we have here. Just a thought but they do look great. Regards
                  Mel
                  MelWain

Comment

Doesn't the bike have an oil cooler? If it does, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Most of the time air flow is going to be from straight on, and the fairings don't get in the way of that really. -

If it doesn't, or even if it does but it's too small then there are lots of reasonably priced aftermarket options to put an oil cooler on, or even increase the size if you do have one.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I do believe it is oil cooled. The fairings create a scoop in the front so driving shouldn't be an issue. I can see since I am in Arizona how it could over heat due to the side fairings. Well, Guess I could just take them off during the summer months. Just use quick release bolts.

Comment

Nice find!!

Comment

What a great find and love the fairings. If you want I'll give you 600.00 for it right now j/k
                          Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

It is air-cooled kids.
                            El G
                            GSX1000SZ-My Beloved Rat http://photobucket.com/GIABLO-MOTO 714-461-9607 [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giablo View Post
                              It is air-cooled kids.
                              El G
                              Unless that extra cooler added on the front in the pics is an oil cooler aftermarket... huh... might be oil cooled then, eh?

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X