X

What RPM's to shift at?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What RPM's to shift at?

I wondered this when I was riding to school. What RPM's are we supposed to be up/down shifting? I usually up shift at about 2,700-3,300 RPM, but I only do that because of the high pitched noise the engine is making. Is there something I don't know about?
    Just remember: Satan loves you

I try to keep mine in the high 4K's so I have a good torque curve right on tap. Then again I have a 600, might be lower if the torque started as strong and soon as on the 750.
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Oh man... Kat's don't like low rpms at all.

I try to shift up a lot higher than that. I usually up shift around the 6-8 range when just riding, and if I'm on it hard, it's usually around 9-10.

Our engines perform best above 4K rpms. You really don't want to spend a lot of time below that.

What high pitch noise is the engine making?? Is there something wrong with your ride??

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

by high pitch i mean...loud engine noise, it just sounds like its ready be thrown into the next gear. I always thought that was the signal to shift

Comment

Originally posted by hougy
          by high pitch i mean...loud engine noise, it just sounds like its ready be thrown into the next gear. I always thought that was the signal to shift
          i think you should get used to the "noise", motorcycles are not like cars. they need to rev! 8)

But since you mentioned the noise. You probably should do a tune up or something.

Comment

The torque-peak for a typical car is around 3k-4k RPM, with the redline somewhere around 5 to 6k usually. The torque peak for a Katana is around 8800 RPM (with the "fat" band being from about 7200 RPM to 9850 RPM). If you want to feel what your bike was designed to do, try this:

Shift 1st-2nd around 4500
            2nd-3rd around 5500
            the rest around 8-10k RPM.

You'll probably discover a whole new world of motorcycle ownership if you've been shifting by 3300 RPM, which is still bogging-down RPM's on the Kat... Except leaving the line, I virtually never run the bike under 4500 RPM at any point, and even a pleasant-valley-sunday-drive would be 5k minimum...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

between 5-7 for a regular ride, red line if I want to get into trouble. Most cases I shift when ever I hear a certain pitch if the engine. It very seldem goes delow 4000 except when stop at a light, stop sign or a cop .

Comment

Rev limiter is 11,500. so I shift at what, 11,400?
                Live and Lean.
                When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
                  Rev limiter is 11,500. so I shift at what, 11,400?
                  10k or so... above that, you're making less power than you'd be making in the next gear.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    The torque-peak for a typical car is around 3k-4k RPM, with the redline somewhere around 5 to 6k usually. The torque peak for a Katana is around 8800 RPM (with the "fat" band being from about 7200 RPM to 9850 RPM). If you want to feel what your bike was designed to do, try this:

2nd-3rd around 5500

You'll probably discover a whole new world of motorcycle ownership if you've been shifting by 3300 RPM, which is still bogging-down RPM's on the Kat... Except leaving the line, I virtually never run the bike under 4500 RPM at any point, and even a pleasant-valley-sunday-drive would be 5k minimum...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

I tried this this morning. I had a helluva lot more power to play with on the free way! I turned heads when I was downtown (thats a loud freakin engine)...whoops:P

Comment

I`m only shifting at 4k if it`s really wet out. I am almost always shifting at 10k.

www.3dflag.com

Comment

Originally posted by hougy

I tried this this morning. I had a helluva lot more power to play with on the free way! I turned heads when I was downtown (thats a loud freakin engine)...whoops:P
                        Welcome to the world of sports bikes and sport-tourers... RPM's are your friend

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was shifting a little early as well. Usually around 5K, I'll try shifting later now and see if I notice much of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            2nd-3rd around 5500

If you shift into 6th at 10k... you prolly should be prepared to get a talking to from Johnny Law.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

If you shift into 6th at 10k... you prolly should be prepared to get a talking to from Johnny Law.
                              6th? if you're at 10k in 4th youre doin 100mph! LOL
                              97 Katana 600
                              [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Working...
                              X