No announcement yet.
X

The $150 beast 88 kat6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK couldn't resist tinkering this morning. I have power to the coils on all 4 contacts. No power going to the plug caps. Need to figure out how to bypass the side stand switch. Black & green wires. Green becomes 2 greens. Black goes off by itself. Today is mow the lawn and fix the leaking shed roof.

Comment

Side stand wiring runs across the bike to a connector on the right side, in the area above the foot peg, covered by a relatively loose, soft black plastic covering. Disconnect the plug and jumper the bike side of the wiring, bypass done. Also, the side stand switch should only come in to play when you put the bike in gear. If you can get it started in neutral and shifting into gear kills it then the likely suspect is the side stand switch.

That said, if that is the problem then track down a new (or good used) side stand switch. It's a real PITA to turn left with the stand still down.

Comment

My guess, bad pick-up.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Great find.
          If I was in Canadia I would be interested in the GS, I loved those bikes. Had the 85 GS550ES myself.
          Last edited by ZukiFred; 05-16-2016, 06:35 AM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

OK still working on it. I was looking on kijiji for parts and found a dealer selling a 1990 600 with 88k for $395 but then has $895 in the ad. Emailed and offered to buy it for the lower price. See what happens. Still have not found my repair manual.

Comment

The manual is available here. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138096&page=2
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

OK figured out the no spark problem. It was me. I didn't think the problem or possible problems through. A 20 something year old dead battery and boosting with the 10 amp charger on it was just to weak. After thinking about the GS donating it's signal gen I realized why not use the brand new battery I had purchased for it. It is to big. 12 vs 10 but she started and idled.

The bike and electrical gods punished me for my stupidity. The cable I was holding arced me but good. My boss was killing himself laughing. Now the what it needs list.

Comment

Nothing wrong with using a 12 battery in place of a 10, especially on a 20+ year old bike.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    Nothing wrong with using a 12 battery in place of a 10, especially on a 20+ year old bike.
                    Unfortunately this ones to tall. So it looks like Kat needs

Key:
                    Battery:
                    Tires:
                    Calipers rebuilt:
                    Front Master:
                    Pads:
                    Chain Kit:
                    Fork Tubes Pitted:
                    Wheel Bearings:
                    More I'm sure. Still working on a key.

Comment

Yup
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Took the top triple off with ignition. It is at the locksmith now. I am looking at continue Go tires. Anyone tried them ?

Comment

Conti motions? Of course, good tire for the money.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            Conti motions? Of course, good tire for the money.

I was looking on bikebandit and Pete's super bikes. Conti Go list my tire size. Looks nice decent price. Motions look good to but Pete's doesn't list the proper rear size.

Unfortunately the ignition is seized solid. I parted a 2003 Kat6 a few years ago. I have the ignition and gas cap in a box somewhere. I will be side lined for a week or so. The fix the shed roof project didn't go so well. It was built in the early 1970s. New one purchased need to learn to make cement pads next.

Comment

OK did a little work on the Kat ignition. Soaking it for a few days in different lube products seems to have fixed it. Now to get a key cut.

Comment

Originally posted by gvh View Post
                                OK did a little work on the Kat ignition. Soaking it for a few days in different lube products seems to have fixed it. Now to get a key cut.
                                Seems I may or may not have fixed it. So I have a key question for those that might know.

bikebandit lists the 1988 key as 37146-26D10 but the
                                2003 is listed as 37146-33E00 the blank I have is the same as the 2003 lock uses. Do I need a different blank ??

The right is the 88 lock it just doesn't go in all the way compared to the 2003

Comment

Working...
                                X