X

New gear review...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gear review...

I got some new gear, and wore it yesterday, for the first time. I thought maybe y'all would like to hear my thoughts.

Alpine Stars GPX gloves:

The color of the actual red leather is not quite as vibrant as the picture, but certainly acceptable. They are a little odd to put on, due to the split/rolled over cuff below the thumb. It tends to roll up inside the main cuff a bit, but easily fixable, even with the other hand gloved already. They are a smidge tight (I got a size large) at first, and strain the base of the thumb but they loosen up as you ride. I'm sure they'll stretch and fit great, shortly. I have always worn a large in Alpine Stars gloves, so this time was no exception. Good air flow, and the silicone grip areas on the fore and middle finger makes two-fingering the levers easy and done with confidence. The velcro strap closure on the cuff is not my fave type of closure, but it's a small bitch to have. Great knuckle protection and the control feel oriented palms make them feel natural. The outer wrist protection is a "ginormous" high impact rubberiszed wrap-around piece, that looks pretty cool, too. All in all, I'm pleased with them, but I'm partial to A-Stars gloves anyway (This is my third pair of thier gloves).
    **Note: My Knox Handroids have become totally unusable already. The humidity here softened the leather between the fingers in just a month of use here, and the leather just simply failed, and tore/rotted away. So high humidity area riders, best not to dump money into those particular gloves, even though they are the most awesome gloves to ever dominate the earth.

Icon Compound mesh jacket:

I also wore this for the entire day yesterday (as with the new gloves). First off, if you're a large guy (I'm 6'1 230lbs) be aware that this jacket comes a little small. I got a 2XL, and maybe should have gotten a 3XL. But, as with most gear, it did start to break in and become more comfortable as the day went on. It is the most high visibility jacket I've ever had (seeing as I've only ever had one other jacket, an LBZ Meshed Up in black) and it does a more than adequate job at being seen. The details (materials of the jacket/vents) and thier placement are very nice. As always, it came with a St. Christopher medal secured into the inside pocket. Speaking of pockets, on the inside of the jacket, next to the zipper on either side, are a couple little "hidden" pockets. One might hold a pen, or a stylus or fingernail clippers or some other odd item. The other is wider, but not as tall and would be a great place to store a severed finger, or half a condom...or something. Not especially usable pockets, but a nice touch, anyway. The main outside pockets are very roomy, and actually comfortable to put ones hands in. The sleeves (leather) are long. I mean long like, without gloves they hang halfway over your hand, and look like something your older (now a pro basketball player) brother gave you to make you look dumb. The up side to the sleeves is that once you put gloves on and ride, they fit like a dream, and with the cuff zippers closed, they prevent irritating air from making your wrist cold. The waist adjusters are ratchet style straps, which is very user friendly. The outer back plates (articulated) are an awesome add. Coupled with the stock back pad, they provide ample, albeit not perfect protection. Plus, the back plates look bad ass. There is no outer closure over the zipper by the neckline, which I think is odd, but thusfar, I've had no issues with the zipper spontaneously trying to make me into a stripper, even at speed (237kph). That speed, is of course, a guess...since you all know I would never be so irresponsible. This version of the jacket does **NOT** come with a liner. I was woefully unaware of that little detail. The Icon Compound Jacket comes with one, but the Mesh model does not. Having said that, I wore a long sleeved Under Armor shirt, a long sleeved T-shirt and a long sleeved thermal under the jacket last night (59 degrees F). The jacket does more than live up to it's potential as a high airflow body wrap. It flowed so much air that even with the layers I had on, I was chilly. The majority of the chest and back are textile, with mesh vents and some super awesome hard rubber scoops that act like ram-air ducting. The exhaust ports on the back are the same hard rubber material, and flow air out very well. As for leather sleeves, well...they're the skin of cows. The leather is stiff at first, but after an hour or so of riding, they felt fine. There is a small collar on the jacket, which I am not accustomed to. It felt strange at first, and when my helmet occasionally rubbed the back of it, it made my neck itchy. Something that will eventually break in and be less irksome, I'm sure.

Lastly, I ordered my gear from Revzilla.com. I placed my order on Tuesday morning, and the package arrived at my door (remember, I'm 400 miles south of Japan now) Friday at dinner time. Fantastic ship time! I used my Japanese address rather than my FPO, and it was 10 times faster that way.

That's it for my review. If you guys have any questions, ask away.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Tldr, nice looking gear though.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      Tldr
      ?
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

The little tiny pockets are for your motorcycle key. or spare key
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
          ?
          Internet expression referencing "To long; Didn't read."

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            The little tiny pockets are for your motorcycle key. or spare key
            Thanks, bro. Makes sense. Guess mine will go unused, as keep a small "S"-biner on mine as a key chain.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Internet expression referencing "To long; Didn't read."

Krey
            Thanks. Didn't strike me as being to long. A quarter the length of some of the things people read, and post to. Oh well. Folks just aint into my gear review, I guess.
            Last edited by Scout; 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
            Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
            X