Katana Worth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Worth

Hey,

I saw a posting about a guy selling a '97 750 for 3k, it seems to be in pretty great condition (although I haven't seen it in person yet) and only has 3k miles. Has a jet kit, vance and hines exhaust, and an air filter.

I don't really know any details other than that, but 3k seems a bit high IMO, but then again, the mileage is quite low. What do you guys think?

- Greg
    Last edited by Syndacate; 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM. Reason: Forgot year :(
    '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
    '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
    '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
    '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
    '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Well, value is something that is percieved by the person with the Cash... so, it's really up to you... is it worth that much to you.

That said... what others may think is no, not nearly that much.

For example, if an insurance company was to need to get involved, they are going to value the bike at proably 2200 or less, if it's in good shape.

If it was mint, never down, good tires, chain, sprockets, ready to ride and looking goood, maybe $2400. If it's not, then everthing you gotta fix needs to be deducted from that price.

But... again... it's up to you...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I would also consider the why behind the 3k miles. That is only 230 miles per year assuming it was driven every year.

Not saying there IS a problem just that I would look twice.
      Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Assimve View Post
        I would also consider the why behind the 3k miles. That is only 230 miles per year assuming it was driven every year.

Not saying there IS a problem just that I would look twice.
        Yeah that mileage is suspiciously low for there to be no problems with the bike, but it's possible. I bought my 98 kat 750 a year and a half ago and it had less than 5000 miles on it and I've had no problems at all, just routine maintenance - tires, oil, .....
        Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

I do realize the miles are suspiciously low.

That being said, assuming the miles are legit miles, assuming it runs well, and assuming that anything I, or any of you, would be suspicious of isn't true, where would you put it.

The thing looks in good cond. from what I see in the pictures, and he's also throwing in a bike cover. I def. plan on having my friend test ride it before I'd buy it, though, so with all of that said, where would you guys put the price? I realize insurance wouldn't put out as much, but I'm not asking how much a blue book says they're worth, more along the lines of how much you guys think it's worth (how much would you pay for it) - Assuming nothing suspicious was wrong with it..
          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Mine is an 05 600 and paid $3000 for mine with 13K on it and it was mid season. Thats a steal if the bike is in OK condition.

Comment

I would be very hard pressed to pay more than 1800 tops for a mint condition daily rider Pre Katana with brand new expendable parts (chains, sprockets, tires, brakes, etc...)

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the only thing i would worry about is the carbs.

Comment

Is that 3k on the bike, or 3k on a rebuilt motor?

Comment

With those miles the oem tires are still on it , check the dates ... Offer the guy 2200-2500 dollars is it non -op or up to date with tags . My 2002 -600 / 15,000 miles in mint cond. Sold for $2200 .

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                      With those miles the oem tires are still on it , check the dates ... Offer the guy 2200-2500 dollars is it non -op or up to date with tags . My 2002 -600 / 15,000 miles in mint cond. Sold for $2200 .
                      It is up to date with the tags, operational. That's quite cheap for your '02, dispite the smaller engine and more miles (why can't I find deals like that??).

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                      Is that 3k on the bike, or 3k on a rebuilt motor?
                      3k on the bike.

Originally posted by WildSide View Post
                      the only thing i would worry about is the carbs.
                      Yeah, but that should be spoken for by how it feels/power, etc., no?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      I would be very hard pressed to pay more than 1800 tops for a mint condition daily rider Pre Katana with brand new expendable parts (chains, sprockets, tires, brakes, etc...)

Krey
                      Really? That low? Do you just not put a lot of worth value into Katanas or is that realistically what they're going for?

Originally posted by WildSide View Post
                      Mine is an 05 600 and paid $3000 for mine with 13K on it and it was mid season. Thats a steal if the bike is in OK condition.
                      Wait, I'm confused, if your '05 was worth 3k, howcome this is a steal? It's 8 years older...yeah, it has lower miles, but it still is 8 years old, and I'm sure has some age marks despite the good condition claim...

----------------------------------------------------------

Where the heck do you guys find all these good deals? I can't find crap in my area (Rochester, NY) as far as Katana 600's/750's are concerned for the prices you guys are talking about..I'm a big guy and need that much CC's, but the only thing around for about 2k is ninja 250's...

I was looking at a 750 for 2k ('95 with 13k) but later backed out due to a front end wobble that I wasn't comfortable not knowing for sure about. It also needed a new chain .
                      '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
                        Really? That low? Do you just not put a lot of worth value into Katanas or is that realistically what they're going for?

Wait, I'm confused, if your '05 was worth 3k, howcome this is a steal? It's 8 years older...yeah, it has lower miles, but it still is 8 years old, and I'm sure has some age marks despite the good condition claim...
                        You answered that question with the obvious realization from the next post... Pre kats... they are old, they are not special, they are dime a dozen... great, dependable, fun, easy to maintane, cheap to fix, but... dime a dozon bikes. I LOVE my kat, won't ever sell it. I just bought another one for the family.

Pre kats realisticly are not worth over 2k to me.

Where the heck do you guys find all these good deals? I can't find crap in my area (Rochester, NY) as far as Katana 600's/750's are concerned for the prices you guys are talking about..I'm a big guy and need that much CC's, but the only thing around for about 2k is ninja 250's...

I was looking at a 750 for 2k ('95 with 13k) but later backed out due to a front end wobble that I wasn't comfortable not knowing for sure about. It also needed a new chain .
                        Deals are to be had if your patient... and buy at the right time. Start of spring isn't the best time to buy (prices tend to be higher as everyone wants a bike) but when winter hits (and people realize they aren't riding the bikes) prices go down.

www.searchtempest.com is a great website to use for searching for local bikes for sale.

If your willing to do a little work on them, you can run across stellar deals on occasion... Like the 95 600 complete bike that was delivered to my door this weekend for $225.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          You answered that question with the obvious realization from the next post... Pre kats... they are old, they are not special, they are dime a dozen... great, dependable, fun, easy to maintane, cheap to fix, but... dime a dozon bikes. I LOVE my kat, won't ever sell it. I just bought another one for the family.

Pre kats realisticly are not worth over 2k to me.

Deals are to be had if your patient... and buy at the right time. Start of spring isn't the best time to buy (prices tend to be higher as everyone wants a bike) but when winter hits (and people realize they aren't riding the bikes) prices go down.

www.searchtempest.com is a great website to use for searching for local bikes for sale.

If your willing to do a little work on them, you can run across stellar deals on occasion... Like the 95 600 complete bike that was delivered to my door this weekend for $225.

Krey
                          Yeah, I get that now isn't the best time to buy a bike, but now is when I'm looking, so if I have to pay a "bit" more, so be it. Looking for a fixer upper is not what I'm looking for at the present - I'm looking for a turn-key starting this season. I do realize that my wishes are the wishes of many which is why I come here for its worth value.

The guy is claiming a worth value of 3k because of the modifications and the low miles (jet kit, exhaust, and an air box).

I do modifications to cars and realize the price negligible amount of upgrades, and how they only increase the vehicle's worth value a small amount.

So given that, given the upgrades (a claimed $1200 in parts, though I realize it's not worth that ontop of what it is), given the time of year I'm looking to buy, given the mileage (3k, he claims to have bought it new, from the dealer, with 0 miles on the odo), what would be a fair offer for him? I don't happen to come across as many as you do, so to me they're not quite a dime a dozen, nor am I in a position to do work on them (work full time, live in an apartment with no garage or anything, and taking classes).

Also, what's a "pre-kat?" - Pre what?
                          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Yeah, I get that now isn't the best time to buy a bike, but now is when I'm looking, so if I have to pay a "bit" more, so be it. Looking for a fixer upper is not what I'm looking for at the present - I'm looking for a turn-key starting this season. I do realize that my wishes are the wishes of many which is why I come here for its worth value.

The guy is claiming a worth value of 3k because of the modifications and the low miles (jet kit, exhaust, and an air box).

I do modifications to cars and realize the price negligible amount of upgrades, and how they only increase the vehicle's worth value a small amount.

So given that, given the upgrades (a claimed $1200 in parts, though I realize it's not worth that ontop of what it is), given the time of year I'm looking to buy, given the mileage (3k, he claims to have bought it new, from the dealer, with 0 miles on the odo), what would be a fair offer for him? I don't happen to come across as many as you do, so to me they're not quite a dime a dozen, nor am I in a position to do work on them (work full time, live in an apartment with no garage or anything, and taking classes).

Also, what's a "pre-kat?" - Pre what?
                            88-97 Katana has a very specific stylization to it (Pre change). In 98 (post change) they made a significant change to the style, with a slight modification again in 03, stopped making them in 06.

A Factory Pro jetkit is $120 from them, instalation is only $2-300 tops. An exhaust can be had for $300 new. You don't want to change the airbox, OEM works best with that setup.

His estimate for the costs of the ugrades seems high to me if that is all that was done. "Low miles" doesn't mean anything to me... years passing with the bike not being riden does. Sitting and not being riden is worse on a bike than riding it in my opinion, unless it's been in an air tight, temp controled enviroment.

My first answer stands... The value of a bike is only as good as the person willing to pay for it. If the bike at 3k fits your needs and situation for what you want, then it's worth 3k. Buy the bike, enjoy the ride... and don't stress a few hundred bucks one way or the other.

Krey
                            Last edited by Kreylyn; 04-05-2010, 09:19 PM.
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

It is up to date with the tags, operational. That's quite cheap for your '02, dispite the smaller engine and more miles (why can't I find deals like that??).

3k on the bike.

Yeah, but that should be spoken for by how it feels/power, etc., no?

I'd like to point out that whenever i buy...for example a car...anything that runs is $500+ ...I'm selling one right now, well, it runs but there isnt much to say other than that. Just got offered $200 on it, cant seem to sell it for $400 "obo". Totally not taking $200 for it. It can rust in my back yard for all i care before i take $200.

Point is, try to sell a car or bike and you will see exactly how these guys get deals like this. Guilt trip you into thinking that youre asking too much. I sold a car a few years ago, had 180,000 or so miles on it. "well itll probably need a new engine soon thats a lot of miles" ...on an engine thats well known to be able to go 300k plus. Things like that.

....i usually ask for about $400 more than i actually want when i sell a car...let em talk me down $500 or so..hahahahahaha...

And sometimes you just have to let it sit. You probably didn't notice it past the katana, but there is a 1990 volvo in the right corner of my avatar/profile picture. A friend originally wanted $2500 for it, i turned him down. 6 months later asked if i wanted it for $1400.....and lets put it this way....if i go get cheap aluminum ricer rims for it, that dont look anywhere near as good as the ones on it, would run me $800+ just for wheels and tires. Good deal based on the rims....

Comment

Working...
                              X