X

Screw in my rear tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erok011 View Post
    lose the macadams! They are rocks when new, and by now are probably dry rotted. i like pilot power 2's, but there are lots of options.

understood.

I ordered a pair of Metzeler Z6 Interacts last night (a 120 and a 150).

Hopefully they'll be here soon. I don't want to lose a weekend of riding.

Thoughts?

"You can pour syrup on sh*t, but that doesn't make it pancakes"

Comment

patch it. It will work short term
      May the road rise up to meet you.
      May the wind always be at your back.
      May the sun shine warm upon your face,
      and rains fall soft upon your fields.
      And until we meet again,
      May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
      RIP Marc

Comment

patch/plug works fine. I've even done track time on a plugged tire. Not a big deal at all.

You know who started the rumor that plugged tires will kill you? Probably a tire company....so you have to buy new tires. I've never heard of a single real-life story where someone actually had a plug fail.

I won't claim that a plug is certified to 170 mph....i'm just sayin that I did it, and I'm still around to tell about it.

Comment

I have had a plug fail. Tire didn't shred, but the plug wouldn't hold. It kept pulling out of the tire. I think that the angle that the screw went through was just too straight and the plug didn't have enough rubber to grab. I took the tire off the rim and patched it from the inside. I have close to 1000 miles on that tire now and no complaints.

Comment

I'm still rolling a plug that JayBell installed for me on my car from the rally last year. It's held up just fine. Oh wait... nevermind

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by scott73 View Post
              I have had a plug fail. Tire didn't shred, but the plug wouldn't hold. It kept pulling out of the tire. I think that the angle that the screw went through was just too straight and the plug didn't have enough rubber to grab. I took the tire off the rim and patched it from the inside. I have close to 1000 miles on that tire now and no complaints.

I stand corrected, you're the first one i've now heard of who had a plug fail.

As long as no steel chords are broken, and it really is a "puncture" and not a "tear" of some kind (if you get a 3" long gash in your tire, a plug aint gonna do it), I'd ride on plugged tire anyday.

Patching it from the inside would be better, but i've had trouble getting them to seal well before, which makes me question how well they will "stick" over time. The plug/patch hybrid thingys are the best of both worlds IMO. No chance of coming out, and no chance of coming "unstuck" from the inside.

Comment

I was close to an auto parts store when the tire flattened and all they had was the vulcanized rubber and cement style plug. I fit and trimmed the plug in the hole per the directions and waited for the cement to set for about a half an hour. Filled the tire with a small compressor that they were nice enough to let me borrow and tried to make it home. Did alright for the first couple of miles then the plug gave up the ghost. I felt the rear tire mush up and pulled over. I am still need to get mushroom style plug kit, I just keep forgetting to order one. The plug would probably still be in my tire if I had that style plug kit on the bike at the time. From what I've read they are definitely worth the money. I will do that tonight.

Comment

Dude, seriously, if a string plug didn't hold, then it was either installed incorrectly, or nothing is going to hold. I carry a Stop'n'Go kit, and I don't expect it to hold as well as a string plug, but I don't have to sorry about the cement being dried up.
                  The only permanent puncture solution is a plug/patch setup, which both plugs the hole and patches the inside of the tire. It also requires dismounting and remounting the tire, so if you have to pay someone to do that, you might as well install a new tire.

If you got the bike home, then park it until you can get a new tire, the old one is done.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

So

Thanks for all the great tips! Even though I got flamed for starting *another* tire repair thread, this has been good info. I think this forum is all about starting conversations and asking questions. Otherwise it would just be a static web site.

So the tires I have are the Macadam (sp?)

That must mean they are the original set, so with 9k miles on them and a screw I don't feel terrible about getting a new set of tires.

Now, I just wish they would f@cking get here for the 4th of July weekend.

Any tips for riding on brand new tires? I've never had a set before.

Comment

Originally posted by plucas_78 View Post
                      Any tips for riding on brand new tires? I've never had a set before.
                      Start very gently, and slowly increase inputs for the first hundred miles. After that, you should be pretty much good to go.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                        Start very gently, and slowly increase inputs for the first hundred miles. After that, you should be pretty much good to go.
                        Great advice.

Before someone puts it up here.....sanding, using an SOS/scotch brite pad, using solvents, or washing the tires DOES NOT 'help break them in'. The only thing that will properly release mold solvents and break in a tire is HEAT, which is exactly what thatable just explained in lesser terms.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

So bascially just go in a straight line initially, then slowly increase lean a little bit at a time, wearing in the edges gradually.

Side note : Got a good price on the tires but I ordered them on Tuesday and the didn't ship till this morning.

Comment

Side note : Got a good price on the tires but I ordered them on Tuesday and the didn't ship till this morning.
                            I've been through that before with motorcycle superstore. Ordered them almost two weeks out for a trip, ended up getting them the business day after I left.

So bascially just go in a straight line initially, then slowly increase lean a little bit at a time, wearing in the edges gradually.
                            Gentle on the throttle and brake too, then build up.
                            Last edited by thetable; 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet

Comment

I had a plug in my Metzler for 2 years and had no issues.

Comment

Dude, seriously, if a string plug didn't hold, then it was either installed incorrectly, or nothing is going to hold. I carry a Stop'n'Go kit, and I don't expect it to hold as well as a string plug, but I don't have to sorry about the cement being dried up.
                                The only permanent puncture solution is a plug/patch setup, which both plugs the hole and patches the inside of the tire. It also requires dismounting and remounting the tire, so if you have to pay someone to do that, you might as well install a new tire.

If you got the bike home, then park it until you can get a new tire, the old one is done.

I've installed several of these on other four wheeled vehicles and had no problems. I had the tire taken off of the wheel and patched it from the inside over a thousand miles ago. The was only a couple of months old when I picked up the screw and is doing fine with the patch. I was at a loss as to why the string plug wouldn't hold. Anyway, beatin' a dead horse now. Tires fine and working well.

Comment

Working...
                                X